There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 04:22 AM by Timbavati )

The beast on his prime!
The Red road male in all his glory seen today at Tintswalo Safari Lodge 
Screenshot by: On the beat in the Manyeleti(Youtube post).

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"I think that the Red road male was most likely sired by the Avoca/Giraffe males or Skorro Thanda impi.

Matimba didn't controlled the Birmingham pride at that time."

Avoca/Giraffes moved into Ngala around late 2015. Was acctually even Birmingham pride settled in Ngala by the time Red Road male was born or was their territory on a bit different spot than it is now? Matimas indeed as far as I know did not interact with Birmingham pride, but they were terrytorial in Ngala in 2014 and 2015.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The red road male - The RRM is Going to be one of the largest males that wasn't seen in the Manyeleti Game Reserve  for ages (words by Tintswalo rangers).
Screenshot by: On the beat in the Manyeleti(Youtube post)

1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 04:57 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-15-2020, 03:49 AM)Potato Wrote: Well... there are no more male lions in Manyeleti at the moment so it can be :Grin  Red Road male is looking amazing since his mane filed up.Giraffe males bloodline goes strong.  Btw coming back to his origins, why actually he was always considered Avoca/Giraffe son while by the time RedRoad was born it was Northern Matimbas who were dominant in the Ngala? Some said recently that Skorro male might be his father as he was seen in Ngala with some cubs, but by that time Skorro pride lived in Ngala so he easly could be just with his natal pride and cubs sired by Matimbas or just male looking for refuge in Red Road female as Matimbas were taking over Skorro pride and forcing out Skorro males from natal pride.

Scorro is not from Scorro pride, his origins are unknown as far as i know..

Why is RRM considered to be sired by Avoca/Giraffes is quite unclear to me too.. 

Matimbas where dominant over Birmingham pride in 2014,they ousted 5 Bboys.. And Red Road pride is Birmingham breakeaway pride.. But the problem is we have no idea who was dominant over Birmingham breakeaway at that time.. Now, who came with an idea that he is sired by Avoca/Giraffes idk, but maybe somebody knew that they where dominant over that pride, afterall they where further west dominant over Avocas.. And then in 2015 started moving east.. 

But anyways, i more and more believe that he is sired by Scorro, judging by the looks, he doesn't look like any N. Matimba..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 05:04 AM by Timbavati )

(10-15-2020, 04:56 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 03:49 AM)Potato Wrote: Well... there are no more male lions in Manyeleti at the moment so it can be :Grin  Red Road male is looking amazing since his mane filed up.Giraffe males bloodline goes strong.  Btw coming back to his origins, why actually he was always considered Avoca/Giraffe son while by the time RedRoad was born it was Northern Matimbas who were dominant in the Ngala? Some said recently that Skorro male might be his father as he was seen in Ngala with some cubs, but by that time Skorro pride lived in Ngala so he easly could be just with his natal pride and cubs sired by Matimbas or just male looking for refuge in Red Road female as Matimbas were taking over Skorro pride and forcing out Skorro males from natal pride.

Why is RRM considered to be sired by Avoca/Giraffes is quite unclear to me too.. 

Matimbas where dominant over Birmingham pride in 2014,they ousted 5 Bboys.. And Red Road pride is Birmingham breakeaway pride.. But the problem is we have no idea who was dominant over Birmingham breakeaway at that time.. Now, who came with an idea that he is sired by Avoca/Giraffes idk, but maybe somebody knew that they where dominant over that pride, afterall they where further west dominant over Avocas.. And then in 2015 started moving east.. 

But anyways, i more and more believe that he is sired by Scorro, judging by the looks, he doesn't look like any N. Matimba..

According Annie. She never see the N Matimba males with the Birmingham pride. So at the moment doesn't exist any proof that they controlled the Birmingham pride.
The red road male has born in the main Birmingham pride (the oldest females) were often called Red road lionesses
2 users Like Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 05:33 AM by BA0701 )

(10-15-2020, 04:26 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The red road male - The RRM is Going to be one of the largest males that wasn't seen in the Manyeleti Game Reserve  for ages (words by Tintswalo rangers).

Wow, he is an absolute beast of a lion, his head must weight 30lbs. I am wondering what those huge knots are on his upper shoulder. When I first noticed it in the video that you posted earlier Tino, I thought, perhaps, it was muscle, but if that is the case, I don't recall seeing shoulder muscle so misshapen before. An old injury, perhaps? I don't know enough of his history, but something seems off with that shoulder to me. Not sure if TB affects the front shoulders the same way it has been known to affect the hips.

With him being the dominant male, all on his own, it is unlikely he'll get a coalition, and being on his own he is always in a position to be challenged by a coalition.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-15-2020, 04:25 AM)Potato Wrote: "I think that the Red road male was most likely sired by the Avoca/Giraffe males or Skorro Thanda impi.

Matimba didn't controlled the Birmingham pride at that time."

Avoca/Giraffes moved into Ngala around late 2015. Was acctually even Birmingham pride settled in Ngala by the time Red Road male was born or was their territory on a bit different spot than it is now? Matimas indeed as far as I know did not interact with Birmingham pride, but they were terrytorial in Ngala in 2014 and 2015.

You can ask for yourself to Annie.
She never saw the Matimbas with Birmingham pride. at that time they were 24/7 with the Skorro pride.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-15-2020, 05:26 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 04:26 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The red road male - The RRM is Going to be one of the largest males that wasn't seen in the Manyeleti Game Reserve  for ages (words by Tintswalo rangers).

Wow, he is an absolute beast of a lion, his head must weight 30lbs. I am wondering what those huge knots are on his upper shoulder. When I first noticed it in the video that you posted earlier Tino, I thought, perhaps, it was muscle, but if that is the case, I don't recall seeing shoulder muscle so misshapen before. An old injury, perhaps? I don't know enough of his history, but something seems off with that shoulder to me. Not sure if TB affects the front shoulders the same way it has been known to affect the hips.

With him being the dominant male, all on his own, it is unlikely he'll get a coalition, and being on his own he is always in a position to be challenged by a coalition.

The TB cause a package on the elbow. (he hasn't that package on the elbows). To be honest, the Red road male is fit and healthy at the moment.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-15-2020, 05:43 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: You can ask for yourself to Annie.
She never saw the Matimbas with Birmingham pride. at that time they were 24/7 with the Skorro pride.

But a lot of videos about Bboys says that they where ousted from the pride by N. Matimbas in 2014.

Maybe Matimbas just chased young Bboys but didnt take rest of the pride under their control after that?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-15-2020, 05:01 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

According Annie. She never see the N Matimba males with the Birmingham pride. So at the moment doesn't exist any proof that they controlled the Birmingham pride.
The red road male has born in the main Birmingham pride (the oldest females) were often called Red road lionesses

Were tho such interactions between Birmingham pride and Giraffe males?
1 user Likes Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-15-2020, 02:20 PM)Potato Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 05:01 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Were tho such interactions between Birmingham pride and Giraffe males?
The Giraffe males were know as the Western males on Ngala area. The Giraffe coalition appeared on Ngala in 2013 by first time (as far I remember) I have some good photos of that year too.

However,the N.Matimba males in 2014 were spending the majority of their time with the Skorro pride and on November they sired their first offpsring and later in 2015.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-15-2020, 12:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 05:43 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: You can ask for yourself to Annie.

But a lot of videos about Bboys says that they where ousted from the pride by N. Matimbas in 2014.

Maybe Matimbas just chased young Bboys but didnt take rest of the pride under their control after that?

Well.

Remember that sometimes the videos doesn't belongs to the rangers. So I don't know until what point that is truthful

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-15-2020, 05:26 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Well.

Remember that sometimes the videos doesn't belongs to the rangers. So I don't know until what point that is truthful

Well, but they got that info from somewhere i guess..

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-15-2020, 05:28 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 05:26 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Well.

Well, but they got that info from somewhere i guess..

Perhaps yes or as not.  Some guys want a kind of attention for says information "never seen before" However,they not want sent the source.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

3 users Like Timbavati's post