There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-19-2020, 12:13 AM by Tr1x24 )

https://www.facebook.com/891791357614057...615165645/

So, on the Tintswalo blog, ranger said that Red Road male lost his partner around 1 year ago, of who is he referring to?? So this is where things are confusing.. 

This male, partner of RRM and called Mothlawareng/Koppies male (photos taken around mid to late 2018):

*This image is copyright of its original author

Is not this "current" Koppies young male (photo taken in late 2019) :

This "current" Koppies young male is this young male from Koppies pride (Photos taken mid 2018):

As for RR males Koppies male partner that ranger said that he lost around 1 year ago, i find this from Tintswalo report:

He went missing in late 2018 after encounter with Avoca/Giraffe male, that Koppies young male was sired by N. Matimbas, while this "current" Koppies young male is sired by Avoca/Giraffe males.. 

Hope this helps and clears some things..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

New male lion in the territorry of Red Road male. Guides suggest that it may be young Torchwood male althrought it is not confirmed as for now. Young male is however calm with a vehicle so it makes sense that it is Torchwood male. Btw guide also say that it looks like all 5 Nharu females has given birth.

2 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-23-2020, 08:46 PM)Potato Wrote: New male lion in the territorry of Red Road male. Guides suggest that it may be young Torchwood male althrought it is not confirmed as for now. Young male is however calm with a vehicle so it makes sense that it is Torchwood male. Btw guide also say that it looks like all 5 Nharu females has given birth.

I check the ID, it is Torchwood young male wow..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-24-2020, 01:41 AM by Tr1x24 )

Blue Eyed Talamati lioness is much older than we thought, this is her photo in 2013,and as we see, she is already adult there, filmed By Hamiltons Tented Camp:

So she definitely isnt daughter of Matimbas as we first tought, judging by this, she is atleast 11,12 yrs old atm..

Her photo in 2012:

She might be 1 of the mothers of 3 Talamati males born in 2012, and not their sister.. 

Living legend of the Talamatis..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mohawk4 Offline

Nharu pride-Cubs everywhere.... Lol
Video credit Tintswalo Safari Lodge

5 users Like Mohawk4's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(06-24-2020, 01:36 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Blue Eyed Talamati lioness is much older than we thought, this is her photo in 2013,and as we see, she is already adult there, filmed By Hamiltons Tented Camp:

So she definitely isnt daughter of Matimbas as we first tought, judging by this, she is atleast 11,12 yrs old atm..

Her photo in 2012:

She might be 1 of the mothers of 3 Talamati males born in 2012, and not their sister.. 

Living legend of the Talamatis..

When I have asked to the guy who has post this picture he say probably is a bit older than 11 or 12 years old, Most likely 13
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(04-26-2020, 03:07 PM)Potato Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 01:54 PM)Mohawk4 Wrote: Who is the father of young Mbiris and Nharu?

Thanda Impi males (Sizanani and Skorro).

I don't know about the life or history of Skorro, but I have read and followed the life of Sizanani.  This lion had a very remarkable and harrowing life!  He basically supported his very lame brother for at least 4 years (hence the origin of his name), survived the onslaught of the attack of the Mapogo coalition on his pride, being one of only 2 or 3 cubs left (in this link, stated that only he and his brother survived, while another account indicated a lioness named 'Nani' also survived!  This same one who adopted the ill-fated 'Big Boy') when there was once at least 20!  He had to dodge around very large male coalitions constantly and miraculously managed to finally sire cubs that actually survived in the last years of his life.... Seemed that he became lame like his own brother once was, and supported so loyally, and was in this bad condition for a couple of months before his last set of cubs were born!  They were only around 9 months old when he finally died, leaving Skorro alone (but, I also read Skorro was having some health issues himself, disappearing for awhile).  Thus, it was a miracle the Mbiri cubs managed to survive at all with such injured fathers.  Guess the Mbiri females had to toughen up to raise their numerous offspring by these two males.  Still, I believe at least half of the 16 cubs got killed by other coalitions....

Not sure how many of their Nharu offspring survived to become independent.  Anybody know?  

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2017/11/23/a-tribute-to-sizanani-krugers-legendary-lion-king/
4 users Like Cath2020's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-24-2020, 09:44 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 03:07 PM)Potato Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 01:54 PM)Mohawk4 Wrote: Who is the father of young Mbiris and Nharu?

Thanda Impi males (Sizanani and Skorro).

I don't know about the life or history of Skorro, but I have read and followed the life of Sizanani.  This lion had a very remarkable and harrowing life!  He basically supported his very lame brother for at least 4 years (hence the origin of his name), survived the onslaught of the attack of the Mapogo coalition on his pride, being one of only 2 or 3 cubs left (in this link, stated that only he and his brother survived, while another account indicated a lioness named 'Nani' also survived!  This same one who adopted the ill-fated 'Big Boy') when there was once at least 20!  He had to dodge around very large male coalitions constantly and miraculously managed to finally sire cubs that actually survived in the last years of his life.... Seemed that he became lame like his own brother once was, and supported so loyally, and was in this bad condition for a couple of months before his last set of cubs were born!  They were only around 9 months old when he finally died, leaving Skorro alone (but, I also read Skorro was having some health issues himself, disappearing for awhile).  Thus, it was a miracle the Mbiri cubs managed to survive at all with such injured fathers.  Guess the Mbiri females had to toughen up to raise their numerous offspring by these two males.  Still, I believe at least half of the 16 cubs got killed by other coalitions....

Not sure how many of their Nharu offspring survived to become independent.  Anybody know?  

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2017/11/23/a-tribute-to-sizanani-krugers-legendary-lion-king/

I think it is 2 females which are with 3 older Nharu females, 5 males which went nomadic couple of months ago and one male which joined Mbiri pride and is still with them.
3 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-24-2020, 09:44 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: I don't know about the life or history of Skorro, but I have read and followed the life of Sizanani.  This lion had a very remarkable and harrowing life!  He basically supported his very lame brother for at least 4 years (hence the origin of his name), survived the onslaught of the attack of the Mapogo coalition on his pride, being one of only 2 or 3 cubs left (in this link, stated that only he and his brother survived, while another account indicated a lioness named 'Nani' also survived!  This same one who adopted the ill-fated 'Big Boy') when there was once at least 20!  He had to dodge around very large male coalitions constantly and miraculously managed to finally sire cubs that actually survived in the last years of his life.... Seemed that he became lame like his own brother once was, and supported so loyally, and was in this bad condition for a couple of months before his last set of cubs were born!  They were only around 9 months old when he finally died, leaving Skorro alone (but, I also read Skorro was having some health issues himself, disappearing for awhile).  Thus, it was a miracle the Mbiri cubs managed to survive at all with such injured fathers.  Guess the Mbiri females had to toughen up to raise their numerous offspring by these two males.  Still, I believe at least half of the 16 cubs got killed by other coalitions....

Well, Avoca/Giraffe males at that time didnt push further south, they only conquered the N. Matimbas territory around Orpen Gate and further north, in the south 2 Selati males also where satisfied with only Talamati pride and where raising cubs.. 

The biggest threat for Thanda Imp males where nomadic coalitions, Bboys and later on N. Avocas, but they seem to just pass by their territory with few scraps..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Red Road male with Nharu pride and his cubs:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Blondemane Offline

(06-25-2020, 10:24 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 09:44 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: I don't know about the life or history of Skorro, but I have read and followed the life of Sizanani.  This lion had a very remarkable and harrowing life!  He basically supported his very lame brother for at least 4 years (hence the origin of his name), survived the onslaught of the attack of the Mapogo coalition on his pride, being one of only 2 or 3 cubs left (in this link, stated that only he and his brother survived, while another account indicated a lioness named 'Nani' also survived!  This same one who adopted the ill-fated 'Big Boy') when there was once at least 20!  He had to dodge around very large male coalitions constantly and miraculously managed to finally sire cubs that actually survived in the last years of his life.... Seemed that he became lame like his own brother once was, and supported so loyally, and was in this bad condition for a couple of months before his last set of cubs were born!  They were only around 9 months old when he finally died, leaving Skorro alone (but, I also read Skorro was having some health issues himself, disappearing for awhile).  Thus, it was a miracle the Mbiri cubs managed to survive at all with such injured fathers.  Guess the Mbiri females had to toughen up to raise their numerous offspring by these two males.  Still, I believe at least half of the 16 cubs got killed by other coalitions....

Well, Avoca/Giraffe males at that time didnt push further south, they only conquered the N. Matimbas territory around Orpen Gate and further north, in the south 2 Selati males also where satisfied with only Talamati pride and where raising cubs.. 

The biggest threat for Thanda Imp males where nomadic coalitions, Bboys and later on N. Avocas, but they seem to just pass by their territory with few scraps..
the Avocas did push south and theres many report (rangers blog) from tintswalo about interactions between thanda impi and avoca.
1 user Likes Blondemane's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-26-2020, 04:44 AM)Blondemane Wrote:

the Avocas did push south and theres many report (rangers blog) from tintswalo about interactions between thanda impi and avoca.

They pushed south after Sizanani's dead. When both Thanda Impi males were in great conditions there was very little of Avoca/Giraffe males in central Manyeleti. Two of them tryed to take Mbiri pride, but they shortly gave up on that plans after one of the was mauled by Thanda Impi males.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Blondemane Offline

(06-26-2020, 07:38 PM)Potato Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 04:44 AM)Blondemane Wrote:

They pushed south after Sizanani's dead. When both Thanda Impi males were in great conditions there was very little of Avoca/Giraffe males in central Manyeleti. Two of them tryed to take Mbiri pride, but they shortly gave up on that plans after one of the was mauled by Thanda Impi males.
I think they did push into thanda impi prides territory while both were alive, the avoca did retreat but was just a question of time for them to return and take mbiri and nharu pride and killed almost all cubs. Like i said that blog have lot of info about thanda impi and other lions. One cool post is about how skorro manage to avoid 5 of avoca/giraffe during one night, he escaped when the odds were all against him.
1 user Likes Blondemane's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Their warfare was as I have put it in previous comment. After Sizanani's death Avoca/Giraffe males killed some to Mbiri cubs, but many of them survived to this day. I do not think they killed any of the Nharu youngsters.
2 users Like Potato's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Interesting.  I believe the male Mbiri offspring of the Thanda Impi Coaltion are coming of age now and have left their natal pride within the last year or so.... The Nharu ones are older and probably have left for at least the past couple of years, while the females are old enough to give birth.  Maybe around 2-3 lionesses of the Nharu pride are daughters of Skorro and Sizanani. The pride had only 3 lionesses when the coalition took over.

Are the new cubs from the Mbiri pride all RRM's?  or could the Orpen males have snuck in to father some?  I think they were also seen sporadically mating with the lionesses....