There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions in West-Africa

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Doko I. Florent 

Impressive male

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Padonou Dotou

Handsome male 

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Maxime Olivier

Ilse Daems

5 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Source/credits: https://djanguette.wordpress.com/2017/09/01/rencontre-avec-la-faune-dafrique-au-parc-de-la-pendjari-benin/

Some what big maned pendjari male. I have noticed that west african lions are not to comfortable around people. As this male looks uncomfortable.

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Doko I. Florent - Guide au Bénin

Some of the best photos of west african lion.

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Daniël Nelson

There is no lion in this picture... I swear!

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

African Parks

Pendjari National Park, Benin

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Heavy looking male

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Lycaon 

About #233: of course it doesn't matter but, how to say ? Very " distinguished " the french photographer... Like the french visitors into zoos.
2 users Like Spalea's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Pendjari lions with buffalo kill

7 users Like Lycaon's post

Canada chui_ Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2019, 10:40 PM by chui_ )

Some great posts Lycaon! I didn't realize there were so many photographs of these West African lions! Same thing for leopards, those from West Africa are among the least well observed, yet you've shared some great photos.

I admire your passion for West and Central African wildlife. I myself have always been drawn to animals and wild places which are least well documented and most poorly represented. In the case of Africa, most of what we see in books and documentaries is actually only one half of the continent (ie the much better observed East and Southern African areas) - the other half is usually neglected. This is unfortunate especially considering most African species have distinct West/Central and East/Southern subspecies. The lion being one of them. Even for leopards, recent genetic studies suggest the idea of a single African subspecies may turn to be false, as more comprehensive analysis showed evidence for distinct sub populations in West Africa, Gabon, Central/East Africa, Central/Southern Africa, and South Africa. Further studies may establish these populations as distinct sub species (they probably will IMO).

However, as you may know conservation of wild areas in West and Central Africa is largely lacking. Bush meat hunting is rampant in most areas which in some places is further exacerbated by civil wars where the influx of automatic weapons results in large scale decimation of wild game. Hopefully things will improve in the future.
6 users Like chui_'s post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@chui_ 

Thank you it means a lot.! I find it comforting that you also share the same interest ,in the forgotten and over looked distinctive Biodiversity of west and central africa. I am indeed aware of the rampant poaching in this part of africa. I do 

hope the recent programs set up by african parks and other ngo's does actually revitalize west and central africa.
7 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Jonas Van de Voorde

Stalking

This male was stalking two warthogs. The warthogs hadn't seen him and they wandered pretty close, but the lion lost interest.
Parc national de la Pendjari, Benin.

Good morning!

We saw this male and its brother (probably) on patrol in the early morning.
West African lions have smaller manes than in East and Southern Africa.
Panthera leo senegalensis
Parc national de la Pendjari.

Sun basking

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-29-2019, 10:45 PM by BorneanTiger )

(08-28-2019, 10:37 PM)chui_ Wrote: Some great posts Lycaon! I didn't realize there were so many photographs of these West African lions! Same thing for leopards, those from West Africa are among the least well observed, yet you've shared some great photos.

I admire your passion for West and Central African wildlife. I myself have always been drawn to animals and wild places which are least well documented and most poorly represented. In the case of Africa, most of what we see in books and documentaries is actually only one half of the continent (ie the much better observed East and Southern African areas) - the other half is usually neglected. This is unfortunate especially considering most African species have distinct West/Central and East/Southern subspecies. The lion being one of them. Even for leopards, recent genetic studies suggest the idea of a single African subspecies may turn to be false, as more comprehensive analysis showed evidence for distinct sub populations in West Africa, Gabon, Central/East Africa, Central/Southern Africa, and South Africa. Further studies may establish these populations as distinct sub species (they probably will IMO).

However, as you may know conservation of wild areas in West and Central Africa is largely lacking. Bush meat hunting is rampant in most areas which in some places is further exacerbated by civil wars where the influx of automatic weapons results in large scale decimation of wild game. Hopefully things will improve in the future.

Not half of Africa, but half of sub-Saharan Africa. The Maghreb (Northwest Africa, where the Barbary lion would have been, and where the Barbary leopard might still be) and Northeast Africa (where the Nubian-cum-Egyptian lions would have been, and where the Southeast Egyptian leopard might still be, particularly in the protected area of Elba) are not included here.
2 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Not the best video but it is always special to see lions from Senegal.

3 users Like Lycaon's post