There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Lions in South-Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Same to you too, you've posted much information and pictures. It is an honor to provide facts in a gentle manner, of any animal!

I look forward to more from you.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

(05-14-2014, 11:47 PM)'TheLioness' Wrote: Agreed, I was just stating it would be interesting if thats the only ones they captured, not saying I'm selecting them, just would be interesting.

Be back with more info when i get it. Thanks

Excellent info, Lioness. This is what we want. We would be very interested to know a bit more about the sample you posted. Which individuals were affected and which were not? More info about the lions in the northern part would also be appreciated.

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 04:43 AM by TheLioness )

(05-16-2014, 03:57 AM)'peter' Wrote:
(05-14-2014, 11:47 PM)'TheLioness' Wrote: Agreed, I was just stating it would be interesting if thats the only ones they captured, not saying I'm selecting them, just would be interesting.

Be back with more info when i get it. Thanks

Excellent info, Lioness. This is what we want. We would be very interested to know a bit more about the sample you posted. Which individuals were affected and which were not? More info about the lions in the northern part would also be appreciated.

It would be easier if they put all the information into their published data, but sadly sometimes not. I'll ask what I can, if you guys have any questions I can ask myself or ask if it is okay to share their email. I do not wish to bother them too much. I've emailed a couple other researchers who have put on radio collars and hope they will email me back with their measurements and weights.

=)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

I would be interested in the effect of disease on body mass and, regarding the table you posted, which animal was affected. My guesstimate for now would be roundabout 30 lbs., as one has to assume there wouldn't be much to choose between northern and southern Kruger lions. 

I would also be interested in adjusted or not, as we know the difference between gorged and empty males in Cooch Behar was no less than 60 lbs.

The last question would be about length (in what way were they measured) and the cause of the disease. See what you can find and good luck. You are, by the way, right regarding the lack of info in articles. I see it all too often and the result is questions each and every time.

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 12:18 PM by Kingtheropod )

(05-14-2014, 09:28 PM)'TheLioness' Wrote: I got a reply back it weights from the smaller lion population in southern kruger. These lions were infected with turberculosis, the results of being infected are weight loss, swollen joints, lameness, poorly healing, skin wounds and depression.

The average weight I got out of all the animals, males - 170kg and females 115kg. There was also shoulder heights. I have asked a few questions and hope to get another reply.

Almost 90% of lions in kruger national park have this illness, they loose so much weight in such a short period of time they are prone to illnesses such as F1 virus in which causes high mortality rates.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I have the email if anyone needs further proof.

Hi lioness

I was wondering if you can show a copy paste (screen shot) of the exact email, for referencing reasons [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-16-2014, 12:18 PM)'Kingtheropod' Wrote:
(05-14-2014, 09:28 PM)'TheLioness' Wrote: I got a reply back it weights from the smaller lion population in southern kruger. These lions were infected with turberculosis, the results of being infected are weight loss, swollen joints, lameness, poorly healing, skin wounds and depression.

The average weight I got out of all the animals, males - 170kg and females 115kg. There was also shoulder heights. I have asked a few questions and hope to get another reply.

Almost 90% of lions in kruger national park have this illness, they loose so much weight in such a short period of time they are prone to illnesses such as F1 virus in which causes high mortality rates.

I have the email if anyone needs further proof.

Hi lioness

I was wondering if you can show a copy paste (screen shot) of the exact email, for referencing reasons

Then I had asked about adjusted for weight content, which ones were infected, and if they come across anymore weights feel free to share. Got a reply back, said pleasure, once he takes another look at the data.

1 user Likes TheLioness's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

This is a very interesting information guys. What preocupe me is the fact that such a high percentage of the population of these lions is sick, if that is the case.

Even then, it is safe to say that old and modern records show that the male South African lions average between 180-190 kg, with average peaks of 170-200 kg in extreme situations. Females range between 120-130 kg on average.

These figures, together with those from Etosha, show that the southern clade of Subsaharan lions is the largest and heaviest overall.

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2014, 02:17 AM by Wanderfalke )

An old video about the so called black maned lion in south africa. quite old footage, I guess. I thought this might fit in this thread and not into the video section. Feel free to remove it to an other section, if it doesn´t fit in this thread. No figures and data given in this video unfortunately. Just footage and the usual information about lion behaviour.

Behold the prominent belly fold, which is said to be a distinctive feature of the asiatic lion.

Attached Files Image(s)

Bigcat Enthusiast

Now that is a black mane, with grey in there too? Must have had some annoying lionesses and cubs. Thanks for sharing.

Expert & Researcher

Wow, that is a large male, maybe too large.

From my point of view, the video is from a wild pride, but some people in youtube states that these are captive lions and that this is a montage, with some wild animals in the background. They say that these lions are too well feed, and that is more obvious in the belly fold of the male.

It is well known that some “documentaries”, especially those of the 70’s and 80’s are just man-made in order to create a history; the best example in modern times is Discovery Channel and his FAKE program of Tiger Canyons.

For the moment, I don’t know what to think. What do you think guys?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Definitely don't trust any really old documentories.
About the "belly fold"
You see it in large animals who are more thick bodied than others. Waghdoh after a large feed and digestion has a " belly fold" and many other lions and tigers, I think this has more to do with loose skin than it does about a specific sub species.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2014, 11:04 PM by Wanderfalke )

(06-06-2014, 09:18 PM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: Wow, that is a large male, maybe too large.

From my point of view, the video is from a wild pride, but some people in youtube states that these are captive lions and that this is a montage, with some wild animals in the background. They say that these lions are too well feed, and that is more obvious in the belly fold of the male.

It is well known that some “documentaries”, especially those of the 70’s and 80’s are just man-made in order to create a history; the best example in modern times is Discovery Channel and his FAKE program of Tiger Canyons.

I watched another documentary from the respective youtube channel. just write Sariska into the search bar from the channel. The Sariska documentary looks terribely staged with a totally unnatural behaviour from the tigers and the other animals.

Here it is. terrible! Sorry for the off topic media.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I would wager very heavily on that vid being staged. Not very likely that a mother tiger would let you film her with cubs, making a kill, defending against a sloth bear and hyenna. I would bet that "man" was responsible for all of these rare encounters all in one instant.

Norway Jubatus Offline

(06-06-2014, 11:03 PM)'Wanderfalke' Wrote:
(06-06-2014, 09:18 PM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: Wow, that is a large male, maybe too large.

I watched another documentary from the respective youtube channel. just write Sariska into the search bar from the channel. The Sariska documentary looks terribely staged with a totally unnatural behaviour from the tigers and the other animals.

Here it is. terrible! Sorry for the off topic media.

Thoose pigs that the tiger cub hunt is tame pigs! The pigs don`t even know what to be afraid of! Grin

Expert & Researcher

This is a call for the lion-siders, I need your help. I am going to make a comparison image of the South African lion. I decided to make a different image for those of the west (South Africa) from those of the east (Namibia and Etosha; the "desert" lions).

I have found three images that I consider are the best examples for a male lion from South Africa, here are the images:

My question is what of these three images do you prefer. Or if you have other images, please fell free to post them, remember that they most have a full view from the side of the lion and the paws most be visible in at least 90% (the other part can be reconstruct from other specimens), I need relative large images, for the pixels.

Tell me your opinions, the data for the image is already gathered, I just need the lion per se. Wink
4 users Like GuateGojira's post