There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lion pictures and videos

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Do you think this is the same lion?

*This image is copyright of its original author

The caption said "A very buff lion from the Doco Superpride"
Mane looks to be slightly darker than the others, but its hard to tell. Facial features seem similar though.

One more side shot where the mane seems lighter than the first pic

Tough to tell.

Big lion, either way

2 users Like Pckts's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Looking at both images, I'm not sure they are the same lion. The images I posted look to be two different ones, more of a belly flap on the first one which matches the other lion in question.
What do you guys think?

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

The lions you posted don't look to be the same, but its hard to tell, the best way of telling is getting a face picture and comparing whisker spots.

The scars on their back legs also seem to be different. Thanks for sharing though.

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

That boy's got testicular fortitude!

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

(07-23-2014, 09:35 PM)'phatio' Wrote:
(07-21-2014, 05:31 AM)'TheLioness' Wrote:

[img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

That's a huge and tall male lion.
Lioness, any additional information about him?

Whoa, that's one huge male lion.. just look at the size of him and he's got a nice shoulder height on him too. 

p.s good to see you here Chaos [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

Thanks, the same to you Rofl.

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(07-22-2014, 12:31 AM)'TheLioness' Wrote:

Big size difference in male and female! Different males, believe one is mopogo.

Those two males look indeed like some very big specimens. Do you know which video the pic at the top is from? it´s definitely from Rob the Ranger wildlife videos at youtube according to the watermark.

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 11:09 PM by Wanderfalke )

(07-24-2014, 01:37 AM)'Pckts' Wrote:

What a mean looking predator. One of the best photos I´ve seen ever, when it comes to looks that intimidate. I´m pretty sure I have the respective documentary. If I remember well, then it´s a male from the Ngorongoro, which looked massive in the documentary.

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(07-21-2014, 05:31 AM)'TheLioness' Wrote:

[img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There we have it again. Lions just seem to make an impression of being quite tall. Strangely enough the tables with the measurements we have about different lion populations show no significant difference between indian (sundarbans excluded) and amur tigers. Before I found forums like this here, I thought amur tigers and lions are about the same shoulder height and bengal tigers are shorter at the shoulder, which I based on photos I´ve seen. I guess numbers don´t lie but photos do (mostly).
Though on a photo, this male looks impressive nevertheless.     

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

2 users Like TheLioness's post

Romania Jinenfordragon Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2014, 06:18 PM by Jinenfordragon )

(07-26-2014, 12:51 AM)'TheLioness' Wrote:

Amazing picture.
It depicts perfectly the separation between the frontal arm muscles and the shoulder muscles.
Shoulder muscles, that on any other big cat are pretty much non existent.The reason why i personally prefer a male lion in a confrontation, he is build like a ''brute''.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

How fearless Lions are! This lone male lion stands up to bull elephant. Great video

In this video A fully grown male lion stands and face against a charging bull African elephant.
5 users Like sanjay's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-27-2014, 11:59 PM)'sanjay' Wrote: How fearless Lions are! This lone male lion stands up to bull elephant. Great video

In this video A fully grown male lion stands and face against a charging bull African elephant.

Awesome video.

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-28-2014, 04:37 PM by Amnon242 )

(07-25-2014, 11:21 PM)Wanderfalke Wrote:  
There we have it again. Lions just seem to make an impression of being quite tall. Strangely enough the tables with the measurements we have about different lion populations show no significant difference between indian (sundarbans excluded) and amur tigers. Before I found forums like this here, I thought amur tigers and lions are about the same shoulder height and bengal tigers are shorter at the shoulder, which I based on photos I´ve seen. I guess numbers don´t lie but photos do (mostly).
Though on a photo, this male looks impressive nevertheless.     

[/quote]

Yes, numbers say that lions and tigers are of the same height (lions triffle taller), but for me it´s difficult to accept that. I personally would say that lions are obviously taller...but I respect the numbers. Optical illusion (mane, more upright posture, shorter body) is certainly a factor.

BTW as I noticed, some lions are incredibly tall (and - at first sight - as impressive as big amur tigers), but those lions are also somewhat lean...so in fact not that heavy. On the other hand I have seen stocky lions (pitbull-like creatures), but those lions were quite short. Certainly there are lions who are tall and also massive (probably the case of 250+kg lion Aslan), but I personally haven´t seen a lion like that...yet...
2 users Like Amnon242's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2014, 01:37 PM by sanjay )

Lions on tree. This is picture series of Lions from  Hluhluwe NP, South Africa

Lioness on tree

Lioness pride resting on tree, Picture series.

Image of lion pride

Picture of lion on tree

Beautiful images of lions roaming on tree

copyright and credits belong to photographer Wild Dogger