There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Notch Coalition Male Lineage

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 07-10-2022, 10:38 AM by sanjay )

This thread is dedicated for the information, discussion, pictures of one of the most famous lion from history, King Notch and his 5 sons- Ceaser, Notch2, Long, Grimace and Ron.
Notch the famous Lion of Maasai Mara, who was the first lion in recent history who formed a formidable coalition with his five sons to create one of the most famous Lion prides in recent history having taken over most of the prides in the region.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Request to Lion experts and enthusiast to provide information and pictures about these famous lions
6 users Like sanjay's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-02-2014, 09:51 PM by chaos )

Grimace, I wonder how he got that moniker? lol Notch is one handsome lion.
The Clint Eastwood of  "the good, the bad and the ugly"
1 user Likes chaos's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 12-02-2014, 11:00 PM by sanjay )

I will post some picture and information of Ceaser, According to Wildlife Photographer Arthur Reiter -
"When I saw Ceasar again in September this year, I had the feeling that he has become significantly heavier since last year. Currently, he is perhaps the largest and heaviest lion in the Mara.

We all know that Caesar in 2013 lost a testicle. My guess is that this fact influences its hormonal balance. And the consequence is an increase in body weight. My question to the veterinarian among us is: Do we have to worry about Caesar?" ----- Arthur Reiter

Some of the recent image of massive Ceaser Lion, son of the notch

Ceaser on the early morning of September 28, 2014 , Mara.

Ceasar on the late afternoon of September 27, 2014

Ceasar (left) and Ron on the late afternoon of September 27, 2014

Caesar on the morning of September 27, 2014

All photos is copyright of Arthur Reiter.

In reply of his question regarding is massive size below is answer of some lion experts-

"First, many, many thanks for these stunning photos of beloved Caesar, Arthur!!! As for his little trouble, well I'm not a medic either but would expect effects on the mane growth in first row, since it happened quite late his mane was fully grown so we can rule that out. The remaining testicle might adjust to what's needed, don't think the loss of one affects the hormone houshold. It could affect his "desire" a bit tho and it's rather the lack of mating activity (while they lose much weight on more or less regular base) what's making him fat, and eating as "substitute satisfaction"...lol. xx" ---- Jeanette Leinweber

"He has always been fat Arthur even as a cub, he seems to possibly have had no litter mate,possible he may be from same litter a joy,both were the youngest cubs , has always been bigger than ron who is around two weeks older than him,even bigger than notch 2 who is oldest currently..He has always been on the fat side,but he may be even more now due to the one testis as you mentioned." ---- James Cohen
8 users Like sanjay's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2014, 08:01 PM by chaos )

Caesar looks old. His posture and facial expression give the (false?) impression of old age. 

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I believe Ron is the largest and the ruler of the pride now.
Correct?

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Can't say, According to Photographer , Ceaser is heaviest among them.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Ceaser lost a testicle in a fight due to mating rights and it influences its hormonal balance
1 user Likes sanjay's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2014, 03:58 AM by Pckts )

Here is what @Pantherinae wrote
"name: Notch II/ Notch 2/ Ron 
coaliton: notch boys 
coalition numbers: 5 ( before 6) 

Ron is the biggest male of the famous coalition "the notch boys" he has now started beeing more and more dominante and even Notch himself has to back down sometimes, he's often walking in front when the coaliton moves or patrols their territory! Is an amazing hippo killer and is often leading the hunt when the gang cooperating in taking down big prey such as buffalo and hippo. He's a big guy! "

I will look up Ceasar and Ron comparisions

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2014, 05:28 AM by Roflcopters )

I don't think Photographers are reliable source of information when it comes to determining sizes, I've seen a lot of photographers misusing the word "big" and just because they are photographers doesn't make them any more qualified than us. They are not scientists and not qualified enough to know who's or what's bigger. this is a cult we've been following for the longest time and it's time to put an end to all of this rubbish. Yes, there are some exceptions when something is clearly bigger than all the others. this statement is true for Wagdoh in all of Central India (probably) and maybe even Jai of Umred (Central India) others, not so much. back on topic now, Caesar is a huge male ! Im not gonna lie, Im impressed by his phsique. TFS

2 users Like Roflcopters's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2014, 01:26 PM by sanjay )

@Pckts , If you see 4rth Pic in my second post you can see Ceaser and Ron .
From that pic, I don't think Ron is bigger. Anyway none of us have any personnel experience and no scientific statement. So its useless speculation.

@Roflcopters . I agree to some extent on your statement not fully, During my activity on fb to promote , I came to know many photographers who has lot of information about Lion, Elephant, Leopard and many other animals.
Time to time they write it on comments and its very interesting to read. Specially experienced photographers have spent there life in photography of a particular animal, they know everything about them from their childhood.
2 users Like sanjay's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

I agree with Sanjay on the photographer take. Actually being there and experiencing specimens in three dimensional space gives one a better platform for comparison. Obviously one opinion is not the final word, but nonetheless, my point stands. Judging size from photos - especially those without a reference object such as a mate - is a bit futile, all one can really infer is relative robusticity. 
2 users Like tigerluver's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

These lions are beautiful ! I don't imagine how a wild beast can live without a testicle (lost during a fight ? How such a wild beast can lost a testicle ?). The pain must be constant and despite of this, Caesar continues to be a lion... Yes, I know among the animals the courage, the bravery are completely some inconscious character traits but nevertheless I admire that. I am, we are all in front of our computer screens, and of course in a case of a medical operation/treatment  we resort to anesthesia and so on...
Sorry for these - absolutely no scientific but purely emotional - impressions... But "tough shit" !
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2014, 09:18 PM by GuateGojira )

(12-03-2014, 12:43 PM)'tigerluver' Wrote: I agree with Sanjay on the photographer take. Actually being there and experiencing specimens in three dimensional space gives one a better platform for comparison. Obviously one opinion is not the final word, but nonetheless, my point stands. Judging size from photos - especially those without a reference object such as a mate - is a bit futile, all one can really infer is relative robusticity. 

Definitely not agree. Photographers can know the story of a particular animal, but surely can't know the size or weight of an specimen by mere sight. Even similar sized specimens in the wild have shown to be completely different in weight and with slight different lengths, I have several cases of that. In this case, an opinion of a person that say that one animal is "bigger" than other, is just that, an opinion, and should not be taken as evidence in any form.

By the way, you forget the fact that people have feelings and preferences and that can cloud judgement. So, a photographer, like and old hunter, can exaggerate the "size" of an animal of his preferences, even with no logical reason.

Only direct measurements on the animal, or the new-on-the-way three dimensional photographic analysis, are reliable ways to state the size of an animal.

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

I never mentioned size and weight, I stated better platform for comparison, different aspects. One can see A is relatively bigger than B, but any estimation of quantitative dimensions is futile. You're right on the exaggeration, and I already embraced that problem by adding that an opinion is not a final word. My point was that we're not any better apt at guaging size from 2D pictures than someone who's been there in 3D space, and I'll say it again so no one confuses my thoughts, photographers still are not the final word as opinions are opinions, but just a better word than us. Remember, like I always say, you'll rarely find me on one end of the spectrum. 
1 user Likes tigerluver's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@GuateGojira , I guess my and tigerluver's points mentioned above about photographer is not for each and every photographer. But there are few photographer who are more than "JUST PHOTOGRAPHER" and its my personnel experience. They are well informed about animals and work as volunteer with very good NGO's and other organization, for example, http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/ one of the best wildlife trust.

Some of them have spent their life taking photograph of a single animal from their(animal) childhood to death.

Definitely, 80% photographer are not in that pool. But they are not 100%.

Also, some photographer may not have that deep knowledge about wide variety of animals but they sometime have extraordinary information about some particular animal.

At least, they are better than few of us who have never witness any animal in wild.