There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Notch Coalition Male Lineage

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-17-2017, 12:45 AM)Rodrigo Wrote: Nobody knows the real situation of Caesar, that's the truth. There is no evidence of death, only people saying things. But for lack of information I fear for the worse.

The real truth is that Caesar was completely emaciated, injured and death was soon to follow, anyone claiming "conspiracy" will not be satisfied unless the body is found, an autopsy performed and results are peer reviewed, even then you'll still have conspiracy theorists.

I have read many barking these claims and to be honest, I find it absurd. Many of these people have no clue what goes on in the wild and they question these individuals who's spent their entire lives in these reserves and with these animals. How much longer do you really think Caesar was going to live after seeing him these past weeks? That is life, you get old and you die, he lived a full life and he died at a ripe old age, all of us should be so lucky.
8 users Like Pckts's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-17-2017, 12:59 AM)Pckts Wrote: I have read many barking these claims and to be honest, I find it absurd. Many of these people have no clue what goes on in the wild and they question these individuals who's spent their entire lives in these reserves and with these animals. How much longer do you really think Caesar was going to live after seeing him these past weeks? That is life, you get old and you die, he lived a full life and he died at a ripe old age, all of us should be so lucky.

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better.

I tried to reason with some of the people that expressed such sillyness on facebook, but now I tire quickly of wasting my time.
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Peter Rettig from FB has written very well description about Notch and their history:

I recommend to read it carefully if you love Notch boys

The End of an Era!
A large Male Lion Coalition has left a huge footprint on their home grounds, the Maasai Mara in Kenya. A coalition of 6 Big Male Lions called the Notches. They have ruled over an area of almost 1000 km² over the many years of their dominance. From the year 2008 to mid of 2017 the Notches were the most popular coalition of Male Lions in Africa. They ruled over many Prides of Lions as they moved around over the years. The Paradise Pride, the Mugoro Pride, the Serena Pride, the Rekero Pride, the Rekero Breakaway Pride, the Rongai Pride, the Olkiombo Pride, the Maji ya Fisi Pride and the Lookout Pride.
Notch was an iconic black maned Male Lion who appeared in the Musiara Marsh of the Maasai Mara in the year 2003 along with his coalition partner. A year later they had finally taken over the famous Marsh Pride of Lions. But Notch found himself being a single Pride Male mid of 2005, after his coalition partner was killed by intruding males. Several cubs had been born into the Marsh Pride sired by Notch and his partner in 2005. Eight survived 5 males and 3 females. And against all odds Notch hold on to his territory for another almost 2 years and sired more cubs. But in March/April 2007 three new males muscled in and finally chased him off.

Usually that marks the end of a Male Lion in Africa, as single nomads they mostly do not survive long. But Notch did something very unusual, he did not leave his territory alone but took his five sons with him! These 5 young males have been given names: Notch II and Long - the oldest, Ron and Ceasar - probably brothers and Grimace - the youngest.

Supported by famous BBC documentaries and featured on countless articles, photographs and reports while being followed by thousands on the Social Networks the Notches became Stars. They entertained and amazed people around the globe while many booked their first Safari to Kenya simply to go and see the Notches themselves.
Now this era is over.

Their disappearance
Over the years and due to countless battles with other Male Lions the Notch Coalition lost members one by one. Long was the first who vanished in 2010 in the Mara Triangle. Notch himself never returned from a mission to find his missing son Grimace mid 2013 in enemy territory. A year later and half later Grimace got lost during one of his excursions to find new females to take over. The remaining 3 Notches finally settled down in the Lookout Hill area, still being a formidable coalition of 3 Big Male Lions.
The final chapter of the Notches reign started mid 2016 when Ron went missing and never showed up again probably being killed by other Male Lions. A year later Ceasar developed a limp and lost condition, the reason turned out to be an abscess in his upper right hind leg. Vets treated him but 2 months later he was found being in a very bad state again hardly being able to move. He was last seen lying motionless on the banks of the Mara River close to Lookout Hill. It was not a fight with other Lions, it was not a conflict with humans, Ceasar died naturally.
With the demise of Ceasar there is only one of the Notches left, Notch II. At an age of almost 13 years and being all by himself now, his days will be numbered as younger Males already smell weakness.

The legacy of the Notches will live on as they have sired countless cubs with many of them being adults now ruling over vast areas of the Maasai Mara.
The Story of the Notches may well fill a book and may be somebody is going to write this book. It definitely is an amazing story of truly Wild Lions, strong bonds, cleverness, braveness and pure power.
Hence there is never a happy ending for a Male Lion in Africa!

Notch lion coalition
*This image is copyright of its original author

Image credit to: https://www.facebook.com/NotchTheLionKin...sFiveSons/
9 users Like sanjay's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Notch 2 is looking the place where he saw his brother Ceaser Last time

Its video, click to play

3 users Like sanjay's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

When ceaser was taking his last breath, guides were trying to feed him.
Its video, click to play it

People are not happy with this, they are saying they should have taken steps earlier it was too late
7 users Like sanjay's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Matira Magazin.

Fantastic afternoon with Notch2 and Pride

After a sleepy hot day Notch2 came out of the shady shrubs, followed by his pride. Three females and four kids.
He is still the King, imposing and powerful.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Brazil Twister Offline
New Join

Notch and mapogos were the most impressive coalitions i ever seen they did a lot and we have notch2 that still alive i hope he can rise those cubs
2 users Like Twister's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Credits to Yoko Mock.
"RIP Caesar - I will cherish every moment I spent with you and your brothers forever...(filmed in October 2013)" 

5 users Like Ngala's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-24-2017, 03:17 AM)Ngala Wrote: Credits to Yoko Mock.
"RIP Caesar - I will cherish every moment I spent with you and your brothers forever...(filmed in October 2013)" 

Beautiful video!
3 users Like Pckts's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-30-2017, 03:31 PM by Ngala )

14 August 2017:

Photo and information credits: Rich Smith
"I have no idea what's going on with Ceasar, other than the rumor mills are churning, and some in a negative way. To be expected I suppose as we have all seen this happen time and time again and rarely any good comes from it. It is no ones fault Ceasar fell ill at nearing 13 years old! I hope on this page, we will remain patient until real facts surface, and even then we remain civil. I've read red tape is what kept Ceasar from being saved. I find this very hard to believe. Why now, and why Ceasar? We've seen old lions being treated in the past, now it's changed? When I read red tape, I think obstruction. I highly doubt there was any obstruction! All I know, that I think is true, is a meal (read it was gazelle) was brought to Ceasar and he refused it. Possibly a 2nd meal, seen in a pic is an impala with Notch ll standing near, which is also untouched. 
In my opinion, the only facts are, a very rapid decline in Ceasar's health, he didn't eat, and he is an old boy. I think jumping to speculations and passing any judgement is not only premature, it reckless and could jeopardize the great work that is done by a lot of people, namely the rangers and vets. There are great rangers that DO care. 
Things I've read: vets came and took blood samples. Vets did not come at all. Vets came and could not find him. 
How are we to make sense of all this conflicting info? We can't! All I know is the vets have saved countless animals and if Ceasar couldn't be saved, I trust there was a valid reason. I've never read a single negative legit complaint against dswt.
There comes a time in every living thing that their time is up, and we have to accept that because it is fact. I don't know if he is alive or not, but one thing is for sure, he lived a great long life, better than the vast majority of lions born."

5 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Photo and information credits: Rich Smith
"Last Man Standing
I am sure anyone that has been following the Notches knows the odds are no longer in Notch ll's favor with the passing of Caesar. 
What keeps me sane watching these old Kings is knowing the quality of life they lived. Notch ll has lived a long wild and free life, and I would say a very good life. He's already defied many odds that are stacked against any lion born in the wild. The mortality rate for lion cubs is very high, add other factors such as conflict and encroachment and the odds of survival goes down further. When a young male lion survives to 2-3 years old, his only mission (aside from survival) is to become a pride male. Notch ll has already defied and accomplished what seems like nearly impossible odds.
Fortunately for Notch ll, he had a big advantage after leaving his maternal pride with 4 brothers/cousins, then to add to that, Notch himself hooking up with the 5 Notches. 
The story of the Notches is almost impossible to believe, but we sometimes take these things for granted in thinking it's a normal lion life while seeing the Notches daily lives unfold when really there is a lot more details to the story we don't often think about till their nearing the final chapters of their lives. The story of the notches is more than just a story, it's more like a novel with a million pages!
And like any novel, it is not over till the book ends....
They will never know how many will cry over them, nor will they ever know how many people were completely memorized by them, especially while in their presence. They have brought joy to millions of people around the globe. They have left me with memories that I will never forget no matter how much times goes by. I've been lucky to meet many lions in the Mara, no other males left me in a state of pure awe than the Notches."

6 users Like Ngala's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Neil Nourse Photography.

Notch 2.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2017, 04:36 PM by Ngala )

Photo and information credits: Lenny Koshal
"Testing my new Canon
That day when Notch 2 fought with Olbarnoti
Beautiful sunrise"

6 users Like Ngala's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(09-12-2017, 04:35 PM)Ngala Wrote: Photo and information credits: Lenny Koshal
"Testing my new Canon
That day when Notch 2 fought with Olbarnoti
Beautiful sunrise"

Is the fight recent?
Notch2 came on top??
2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Yes, i think. The photo was uploaded few hours before i've report here the news. @vinodkumarn
3 users Like Ngala's post