There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lion Directory

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-27-2014, 05:16 AM by Pantherinae )

*This image is copyright of its original author

the one majingilane male killed by mr.t ( SaTan) and kincky tail.
Majingilane Male lions: history! 

First seen in the Djuma area during the latter part of 2009. Some reports of there being six. First thought to be the three Nkuhuma sub adult males and the three Windmill young males. That was later found to not be so even though a Nkuhuma young male was reported to have joined them in the Djuma area in May but later they were seen chasing the same young male and other members of the Nkuhuma pride all the way to the Manyeleti border to the North.

The Majingilane coalition is thought to have come into the area from either Kruger National Park or Manyeleti. Manyeleti has a coalition of five young males that were accompanied by their mother until early in 2010 when she was injured by a buffalo and presumed to have died. Their descriptions match that of the Majingilane males but it has yet to be determined exactly who they are or where they come.

Being young males, they traveled the area in silence. Usually staying off the roadways and not roaring to alert other lions in the area to their existence. They frequent MalaMala, Torchwood, Chitwa, and Nkorho areas as well as Djuma.

They were 5 strong on June 8th 2010 when one of the young coalition member was killed by two Mapogo/Mlowathi Males, Kinky Tail & Mr T. Later that evening, they got their revenge by killing Kinky Tail, injuring and sending Mr T on the run.  

Since then, they have found a new confidence. They tracked Mr T to Londolozi where he was with the Tsalala pride on June 28th/29th. The four Majingilane males launched an attack that scattered the three adult Tsalala lionesses along with their eight youngsters. Two of the youngsters were killed.

Mr T was slightly injured and ran West to join up with his four coalition brothers. For the first time in a very long time, the surviving Mapogo males came East and were seen in the Marthly area of Londolozi on July 5th roaring loudly as if to reclaim the territory. They eventually headed back into the Western sector. Had they come in search of the Majingilane males?

Again a few days later, the five Mapogo males were seen heading back East towards North Central Sabi Sand. They seem to be on a mission to meet up with the Majingilane males.

Is this new young male coalition strong enough and confident enough to take on the five seasoned Mapogo males? Only time will tell.  

During the very early hours of July 9th, sounds of male lions fighting were heard on the Elephant Plains live cam. The sounds were almost deafening and sounded much like the night at Nkorho when Kinky Tail was killed. No lions were seen and by the am the lions had moved off into Robson. The only signs of a fight were a bloody patch and hair tuffs.

The Western sector had last seen the 5 Mapogo males moving towards the North Central Sabi Sand and then later in the morning of the 9th, only 3 reappeared, Mr T, Makulu the oldest and one other.

Reports of the Majingilane males emerging from the Robson area a day or so later seemed to indicate they had been the lions fighting with the Mapogo males at Elephant Plains. 

UPDATE after the Fight Sounds at Elephant Plains, July 9th 2010. Later in July, one of the missing Mapogo twin brothers reappeared in the Western Sector. He's is the one some know as T2 or Pretty Boy. He was recovering from severe injuries which seemed to include a bent spine. Sadly, his brother (aka Red, Leonides, Rasta/Dreadlocks) never reappeared and it can only be assumed he did not survive the fight. The Majingilanes emerged fairly unscathed by the encounter.

Since then, the Majingilanes have been claiming territory and attempting to take over prides such as the Styx and Tsalala prides. They are not only responsible for the deaths of 2 of the Tsalala youngsters but the death of at least one sub adult female of the Styx pride as well. On July 23, 2010, a Majingilane male was found close by the remains of a Styx sub adult female. She had been cannibalized. Also, it is believed they are responsible for the disappearance and presumed death of an adult Styx lioness who went missing after an attack by two Majingilanes in Mala Mala several months back.

Though they have reportedly killed several lions, both young and old, they also have been known to share kills with the Styx pride including the young male as well as allowing the Golf Course male to feed on occasions.

The remaining Styx females seem to have accepted the Majingilane males and have been reported mating with them on a number of occasions. The Tsalala lionesses have also been mating with them in an attempt to keep them away from their 5 surviving youngsters (Update: The Tsalalas have 6 surviving youngsters with the reappearance of the sub female thought to have been killed by Hyenas in October).

Update: Things change so fast in the bush. On November 4th, 2010, two Majingilane males came upon two adult Tsalala lionesses (the Sisters) along with the sub adult male and the little half tail sub adult that had miraculously survived the previous months attack by Hyenas. This occurred at a dam in Arathusa. The two Majingilanes killed the last surviving sub adult male of the Tsalala pride and then set off to track down the fleeing half tail sub female.  

On Nov 12th, 2010, Londolozi reported finding the Half Tail sub adult female dead near a Giraffe carcass that the four Majingilane males were on. It was apparent that the males had killed her.   The Golf Course male was also found dead several days prior to this.   It seems he could no longer fend for himself with his disabilities, the beatings he took from the Majingilanes while trying to encroach their kills, and the strong possibility he may have had Bovine Tuberculosis.

BB, the tailless older adult lioness, has been seen since this incident along with the surviving four cubs of the pride.   Let's hope she can stay one step ahead of these males and keep those youngsters alive.

December 2010 - Reports are coming in that the two younger adult Tsalala females look to be heavily pregnant.   Reports also that some of the adult Styx females appear pregnant as well.   The Majingilane males would be the sire to these cubs.

Again, only time will tell how these young males fair in the battle to claim territory, females and the daunting task of protecting their offspring.   If they can retain their territory for several years, the soon to be born cubs may have a good chance at survival.

Update December 22nd 2010 -  On Dec 20th, two of the three young cubs of the Eyrefield/Sparta pride were found dead in Londolozi.  At least one Majingilane male was involved in the attack.  Since the attack, one adult lioness, the surviving young cub and one sub adult male were reported seen in Londolozi the following day.   On Dec 22nd, MalaMala reported seeing three of the four Eyrefield/Sparta sub adult females.  It is unclear how many members of the Eyrefield/Sparta pride were involved in this attack by Majingilane Male(s).  The pride seems to be scattered with six members still unaccounted for.  They are two adult lionesses, 1 sub female, 2 sub males and Solo the young Tsalala/Marthly male.   The four Majingilane Males were back on MalaMala by December 22nd. 

4 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Apollo dateline='' Wrote: Im very happy to see my own threads turning to be an inspiration.
Very nice information, Keep up the good work.

Thank you! I just loved the tiger directory! 

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

Mapogo Coalition

Mapogo Coalition - 6 Male Lions also known as the Eyrefield Males, the Sparta Males and in some regions the “Cannibals“ They were named Mapogo after a security company that utilizes rather harsh methods in dealing with offenders. We’ve found several different meanings for Mapogo. Ulusaba refers to it as meaning “Vigilantes“ and Savanna Lodge refers to the Mapogo name being a Zulu word meaning “Rogues”. What ever the meaning, they are Bad News!

Pride they Originated From: Eyrefield Pride aka Sparta Pride This pride still exists and consists of 3 adult females and 9 cubs. Two of the remaining Eyrefield pride lionesses are siblings of the Mapogos and the third and oldest lioness may very well be the Mother to some of them. The dominant male of this Pride today is the one remaining Roller Coaster/Shaw/Castleton Male.

Sired by: A Coalition of 5 Male Lions known as The West Street Males aka The Sparta Males. These males took over the Eyrefield/Sparta pride from the Manyeleti males in 1998. They were approximately 8 yrs of age at the time and successfully raised many cubs to adulthood during their reign. The last of this coalition died in 2004 at the approximate age of 14 years or even older (some reports indicated the last two were plus/minus 16 yrs in 2003 when two of the original four Marthly/Split Rock/Robson males moved in).

The Oldest Mapogo Male is said to be unrelated to the other 5. The story is that the original pride (Eyrefield/Sparta) lost a male sub adult of 20 to 21 months of age in May/June 2000 and in July 2000 this male of about the same age latched on to the original pride. Though not readily accepted by the lionesses, the West Street Males barely tolerated him though they did not kill him as he was no threat to their dominance due to his age. His life was not an easy one as he was considered an outcast, yet this young lion became one of the boldest and most valued hunters by helping to keep the pride fed when the West Street males became too old. Londolozi refers to the oldest Mapogo male as "Ngalalalekha”. Ngala means lion so does lalekha mean “old, older, oldest”? Another name for this male is "Ngalagalega" said to mean "The Lonely Lion". This oldest Male is elusive. He is said to be bigger, bolder and darker than the other five. He is believed to be the sire of most of the Mapogo cubs that have been born.
One story about this older Mapogo male that sticks out in our minds is when Londolozi reported a sighting of two hyena clans on a buffalo carcass. A group of approximately 25 adult elephants standing shoulder to shoulder with little ones behind them were staring the hyenas down. A noise was heard behind the vehicle and when the spotlight was shown in that direction an “enormous” male lion burst into their sight roaring louder than any roar they had ever heard before which sent 30 hyenas scattering. It was the leader of the six Mapogos. He stared down the wall of elephants which after about 5 minutes of standing their ground finally gave way to the lone male and moved off.

1 user Likes Jubatus's post

Norway Jubatus Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM by sanjay )

Here is a little video of the Mapogo coalition, it shows every individual lion and names it, and also some photos from their rise till their end! 

3 users Like Jubatus's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 06-27-2014, 10:34 AM by GuateGojira )

Hello Pantherinae, nice to meet you.

This new topic is a great add to this forum. I appreciate very much the effort and the great information about the great lions from Africa. I am reading all your post with great interest.

Cheers and continue this great topic.

Greetings. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'GuateGojira dateline='' Wrote: Hello Pantherinae, nice to meet you.

This new topic is a great add to this forum. I appreciate very much the effort and the great information about the great lions from Africa. I am reading all your post with great interest.

Hi Nice to meet you too,  I'm very glad you liked it! Thanks! [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'GuateGojira dateline='' Wrote: Hello Pantherinae, nice to meet you.

Also if you have any lions you would like to have here just mention! [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Name: Fang/ Broken tooth 
coalition: none 
pride: the river pride 

he is the male lion starring in the Disney movie " African Cat's" and is the male lion chasing the crocodiles back in the river. He was easily recognised because of his broken tooth, which was damaged in a fight with another male. His river pride territory was invaded by notch and his sons. and sadly fang was never seen again! 
4 users Like Pantherinae's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

Sad to hear of Fangs demise. Good looking lion. BTW, I agree with the others.
Great topic and thread. Keep it going. 

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I believe your bottom picture of Broken tooth is actually a picture of Ntchwaidumela?
1 user Likes TheLioness's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'TheLioness dateline='' Wrote: I believe your bottom picture of Broken tooth is actually a picture of Ntchwaidumela?

Hi, no this isn't ntchwaidumela he lived in Botswana, and this lion is from Mara, it's quite a little difference in looks, and Masai Mara/ Serengeti have a different look than lions from lions elswhere in Africa, also look at this hyena I have a big facination of hyenas aswell so i can see this one is a young east- African hyena. 

ntchwaidumela was an amazing hyena killer, but lions and hyenas fight all the time. And actually quite often male lions do kill hyenas.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'chaos dateline='' Wrote: Sad to hear of Fangs demise. Good looking lion. BTW, I agree with the others.
Great topic and thread. Keep it going. 

Yeah he was a great looking lion, and seemed to be a great protector, but what can he do against the notch boys.. Glad you liked it! :-)

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Name: Ntchwaidumela 
Coalition Members: 2 ( Mandevu) 

ntchwaidumela means "he who greets with fire" he is also called the hyena killer! He become famous on the National geograpich documentary "enternal enimies" where you could see the battles between hyenas and lionesses / young lions. Until the big male comes in and kills two hyenas.  

Very sadly Nichwaidumela and Mandevu was killed by trophy hunters who killed them from the safety of their vehicles, when they where mooving from one protected preserve to another, as lions in Savuti usually moves nortward. We sadly lost him and Mandevu in 1991. R.I.P
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Name: Koning male. 
coalition numbers: 2 
stauts: probably alive since I saw him myself last year. 

This lion is not as famous and even the ranger had problems remembering his name when i asked him about it. He gave me the name Koning Male. This male is the most impressive male I have ever put my eyes on! ( and I have worked with a male on 255 kg). This one is bigger in length and hight, but the question is can he match the weight?.. A wonderfull experience! 

He rules a pride along with his tiny golden maned companion, who looks rather funny compared to his large, massive and dark brother. Do not find any information of him on the web, so this is just based on my own experience, and what the ranger told me. But i managed to find som pictures and this clip of him walking. Wow is he massive!! Enjoy 

http://m.56.com/view/id-NzY1MTc3NjY.html...-Male-Lion 

5 users Like Pantherinae's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Koning male, What a massive lion! TFS . Great work guys. Seems that this forum is getting good data of african lion now.