There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lion Directory

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote:the problem is that you get confused because all Coalitions/Pride are in one thread.
Maybe it happens that way. But when the information is detailed, when it is clear which coalition is being discussed, I don't see the problem. We have a couple of tigers thread where individuals are discussed, and it was kept that way.
Quote:THis would need the mods here to create a sub-forum under the name "The Lion Directory" where all those new threads will be opened and enriched with info,
The problem with this is that there would be many coalition that would have little to nothing of information, while others would do. You notice that for big and sucessful coalitions have their own thread, like the Majingilane, the Mapogos, the Matimbas, the Notch coalition and now the Birminghams.
For other, smaller coalitions the threads "Lions of Sabi sands" and "Other coalitions of the mara" serve their purpose.

So @LionKiss , in any case, what can be done is update a bit the Lion directory. To do that is not as easy as it sounds, because you need solid info for said coalition or pride, where it began, who sired them, and also identifying features(like Scars, a broken tail or teeth, a distinct mane, etc). That is what is holding me back a bit to post more about many other prides, but I'll give it a try.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

as far as I understand only a small percentage of the entire lion population of 23000 lions is registered and monitored, given names and are know to us, photographers, wild life biologists etc

are there info about this percentage? and at what areas/countries do those unregistered lions live?

United States John21 Offline

(07-31-2014, 06:15 AM)vizions Wrote: You are right about the Majingilane. They chased off the Selatis about 2-3 months ago now and killed one of their members. The 2 Selatis survivor now live as nomad between the Majingilane territory and the Matimbas territory (5 males lions).
Majingilane coalition is one of the best working coalition. They always stick together and always outnumber their opponnent. They now hold the whole former Mapogo territory and are even pushing down to the south now towards the Southern pride.

Here's a map:

*This image is copyright of its original author

The map is from 2012, somes changes happened since: the KNP lions got chased off by the Sand river males (3). The Majin conquered the Selatis's territory, and the Matimbas are down to 5.

I guess you are talking about this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Wa4I6MKzA
Mr.T first chased off Makhulu who clearly wasn't interested in fighting, and then fought with Pretty Boy. Mr.T has a slight advantage in the fight, even tho it's look like a draw but PB wasn't known to be the best "fighter" of the Mapogos. Then again, like you said in your previous post, dominance is a day by day thing and can change quickly (in case of the mapogos colaition).

I read lot of accounts about the lions of the Sabi sand ! I try to follow all the site/rangers reports/facebook pages to get a lot of information since i just love the Sabi Sands lions pride. The Mapogos hooked me into it!

The Majingilanes never controlled the whole Mapogo territory. 

1 - The Mapogos controlled the North, West, East and South(Mala Mala). 

2 - The Majingilanes controlled the East and 
Parts of Mala Mala 

3 - When the Majingilanes went West they conceded the East and Mala Mala

4 - The North was inaccessible since the Matimbas were there by now

They couldn't hold on to three sectors of Sabi Sand once they moved West. It was smart but also circumstantial since the Matimbas moved further down East and South and took the vacated territory.

1 user Likes John21's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-26-2016, 07:09 AM by Tshokwane )

Quote:The Majingilanes never controlled the whole Mapogo territory. 

1 - The Mapogos controlled the North, West, East and South(Mala Mala). 

2 - The Majingilanes controlled the East and 
Parts of Mala Mala 

3 - When the Majingilanes went West they conceded the East and Mala Mala

4 - The North was inaccessible since the Matimbas were there by now

They couldn't hold on to three sectors of Sabi Sand once they moved West. It was smart but also circumstantial since the Matimbas moved further down East and South and took the vacated territory.
I really don't see the point of this.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2016, 06:58 PM by Ngala )

The Coalition of Three

"Omukama, Papa, and Rudi are a coalition of three strong males who travelled 120km from the southern Ishasha area of the park in 2009.  This required them to swim across the hippo and crocodile filled Kazinga channel before they reached their new home.  They are now the territorial males for the entire northern sector of the park. Each have different personalities.  Omukama scares away tourists who come too close.  Rudi is most protective.  Papa is more relaxed and not easily bothered.  They all enjoy hunting buffalo. While their genetic diversity is good for the lion population in this area of the park, they are displacing the other males, who are either too old or too young to stand their ground. These other males are being forced closer to the edges of the park, where they are at risk of conflict with humans."

Credits: Uganda Carnivore Project

This is Papa (Panthera leo azandica) at Kasenyi Plains, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda. Photo Credits: Paolo Mapelli

All member. Photo Credits: Uganda Carnivore Project Facebook page.

10 users Like Ngala's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Awesome way to start @Ngala , Keep it up
3 users Like sanjay's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

@Ngala, welcome and keep it up thanks
2 users Like LionKiss's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

I've written in the wrong section? Correct section for my post is Lion Directory? If yes, sorry for the mistake.
1 user Likes Ngala's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Ngala, You are correct,

If you are planning to post about a pride or coalition on regular basis, make a new thread (example, majingilane, mapago, Notch etc ). In case you want to post about the profile of individual lion, coalition or pride and just want to write short description about them, you can post it in Lion directory.
This thread can be used to post beautiful images and video of lions
Hope this help
2 users Like sanjay's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

@sanjay Is possible transfers (or rewriting and delete in this section) my post in the right section Lion Directory?
Thank you for the help and sorry for the mistake.
1 user Likes Ngala's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 03-02-2016, 08:11 PM by sanjay )

@Ngala, I have transferred it into Lion directory
3 users Like sanjay's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Meet Titus and Brutus, the two pride males for the six-wheel pride. These two males cover an area of approximately 700 square kilometres, which is double the home range area of any of the other collared males in the study area. These two have a lot of character, and at around 9 years old with lots of scars, have had their fair share of territorial fights. Titus (also affectionately known as Tinkerbell) was collared in April of 2015, and we recently fitted him with a new collar when we found him with an unknown female just a month ago. He is often difficult to locate for follow-up because of his very shy nature, and because of the thick mopane and scrub he rests in during the day. It was quite a treat to come around the corner on a transect one morning and find these two resting in the shade in the open. While Titus remains wary of the vehicle, Brutus is much more relaxed in our presence. With their cubs at almost two years old now, it will be interesting to see whether they will hold on to their tenure or if there will soon be new younger males pushing into the area.
Credits to Looking for Lions.

These males live in the Okavango Delta, Northern Botswana.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

You should ask them what his weight was, usually any animal that is fitted with a collar gets weighed.
3 users Like Pckts's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I got some info on him

" unfortunately we didn't weigh him. The collar was fitted by a local veterinarian in Botswana"
 Sad
I then asked how delta lions compare and I'm waiting for a response.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I did ask about it yesterday, when you reminded me of it, but still they haven't answered. Anyway, good job Pckts.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post