There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Leopard Predation Thread

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to SabiSabi.

The Kashane male waited patiently for some warthogs to leave their burrow.  His patience paid off as he successfully took down one of the piglets.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States stoja9 Offline
Banned

Not for sensitive viewers...?  Most overblown disclaimer ever.
1 user Likes stoja9's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From C4 Photo Safaris:
Leopard take down this morning in the Masai Mara on our current Safari! 
Image by Andre Cloete

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-14-2017, 08:34 PM by Ngala )

From Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve:
"This female leopard gave us an amazing sighting as she sprinted off in front of us and caught a gosling off an Egyptian Goose!"

2 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Latest Sightings - Kruger:
Update:
16:32
Leopard climbed back into the tree to its kill
H10, 500m N of the S29 N entrance
Near Lower Sabie
Tinged by the Hotz Family

2 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Photo and information credits: Nombekana Safaris and Wildlife Photography
I have just come back from my Self Driven Safari in the Kruger National Park. 
I had the privilege of taking an awesome Singapore family to Kruger. I just love self driven safaris because I am always in control. I can do what I do best and that is find animals for my guests. At times it can be very quite as was at some point with my guests. They were cat people and for them seeing the cats in the wild would make their trip. I remember saying to them that they must be patient with me as I will try and find them. The first day I couldn't find any cats and I only had one more full day to deliver the goods. At night I couldn't sleep and I was planning my route. Once everything was decided I felt good and I remember getting in the car singing to my guests that "I got a feeling that today is gonna be a good day" and indeed the day was magical
. It started with lions on Buffalo kill that David my friend had told me about. They were however sleeping and not doing much as it they were quite full. I decided with the permission from my guests that I would move on and try and find more cats. The road was full of fresh spoor particularly leopard and I remember saying to them that this is a few minutes old. Indeed as I drove down the road tracking this leopard my heart was pounding and from a distance I saw a leopard on the road. I approached slowly but he went off the road and disappeared with no trace. Only myself and One guest managed to see him briefly. I told them this is only the start of the day and more was to come. Thirty minutes later we were blessed with an incredible sighting of 2 cheetah males. They gave us ample time to spend with them until I decided to move on. 
I got to one of my favourite leopard spots and I told my guests to keep a good eye out . I don't like driving with Windows closed in a vehicle as I am unable to listen to the bush but it was already getting very hot and I had to close the windows and turn on the airconditioning in the car. As I came around the corner I noticed some impalas looking intently and as I switched off the car I heard a lot of Alarm calls, they were very strong and persistent . The impalas were looking in the riverbed and I knew it could only be a leoapard. I told my guest that we have a leopard in the vicinity and we must find him. I carefully followed the eyeline of the impalas and I decided to position my vehicle in a position where I thought the leopard would appear and indeed a few minutes later one of my guests shouted Leopard. There she was in all her glory with her tail curled up signifying that her cover had been blown. She walked and disappeared into the thickets. My clients were over the moon . They had finally found their cats but nothing would prepare us for what was to happen in the next few minutes. We spotted another leopard as he made a kill of an impala and this was on of the most incredible things I have ever witnessed in the bush. He made the kill and looked us straight in the eye before disappearing into the thickest. 

I have been incredibly lucky with kills recently and this was my third kill in a space of 30 days. Two lion kills and one leopard kill. 

The bush is one special place. Sometimes it's quite and you don't see much but patience is key. Mother nature has been good toe and my guests. I love making people happy and I am looking forward to the next ten years in the bush with many guests. 

Mother Nature 
NAMASTE.

3 users Like Ngala's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Cheetah Project Mara-Meru.

Recently, while searching for cheetahs we came across a young leopard female, who was hiding at the edge of the ravine above a narrow crossing point, waiting for the chance to hunt.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

Credits to John lyall

8 users Like Fredymrt's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

Credits to Savanna Private Game Reserve

The battle over life and death. Ravenscourt took a big risk going for this very large warthog boar, but the rewards were great
5 users Like Fredymrt's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Londolozi Game Reserve, A Day I Will Never Forget by Guy Brunskill:
"

While all of us sat entranced by the crash, Shadrack, our tracker, was scanning the surrounding area and pulled off an amazing spot of a leopard walking along one of the roads about 500m away. We quickly headed in his direction as it can be incredibly easy to lose sight of these camouflaged creatures in long grass. This was the first leopard sighting my guests had had at Londolozi. We identified the male leopard to be the Torchwood male, which made the sighting all the more special for me as I had never seen this particular leopard before. He is a male who holds territory falling mostly to the west of Londolozi and he was possibly investigating the option of expanding further eastwards. He walked past our vehicle and we followed him for a while, assuming he was on a territorial patrol but moments after that he started moving with a lot more intent and we came to realize he was on the search for something to eat.

The Torchwood male walks along the road, which offers the path of least resistance. This male leopard’s eyes seem lighter to me than his counterparts and are by far the most beautiful I have seen.

He walked up a prominent termite mound to observe the surrounding area, using it as a vantage point to see if there was any potential prey close by.

Leopards are known as crepuscular animals, which means they are most active during dusk and dawn. This is when they do most of their hunting because they have superb nocturnal vision and have a better chance of moving undetected by prey. Their chances of hunting successfully are thus usually better at night and because of the cooler temperatures they use less energy. We were all intrigued to know if anything had happened despite the heat of the day though, so we headed back to see if we could find him during our afternoon drive.

This is where we all got to see something none of us were expecting…

When we found him, he had in fact made a kill. It was what he had made that startled us so much.

Can you spot the dead animal? The Torchwood male rests in the top of the tree during the afternoon warmth, knowing he has a secure meal less than 2m away from him in the fork (top right of the picture).

Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you. That’s an aardvark up in the tree! The look on my guests faces when they realized it was an aardvark said it all. It was a first for all of us, with none of us having seen an aardvark alive before, let alone one that had been hoisted into a tree by a leopard. Aardvarks, a strange looking creature that feeds on ants and termites, are nocturnal animals which are very rarely seen. Guides go many years in the bush without seeing these elusive creatures and now we had both an aardvark and a leopard in the same sighting. Although we felt rather sorry for the caught and now-deceased animal, it was incredibly exciting at the same as it was the furtherest thing from what we expected.

After watching him rest for a while, our patience paid off as the Torchwood male stood up, looked towards the aardvark and moved towards it to feed.

Aardvarks are certainly not small animals and can weight between 50-60kg and live for about 20 years. Their diet is comprised mainly of ants and termites.

Leopards are often seen feeding on only some parts of the intestines. Here he is feeding on a portion of them, ensuring there is nothing wasted as these predators are never sure when their next meal will be.

We all sat in awe as this leopard fed on the aardvark. In all likelihood, due to the nocturnal nature of aardvarks, the leopard made this kill the night before and returned to it after a morning of territorial patrol. Interestingly enough he had not fed on much of it though. After watching him feeding for roughly 30minutes, we began to question why there weren’t any hyenas around the base of the tree trying to scavenge pieces potentially dropping to the ground. It wasn’t a minute after we’d uttered the words that the Torchwood male lifted his head and gazed inquisitively past our vehicle where a hyena had just appeared.

The male leopard briefly stops feeding and stares behind us to identify what animal is approaching him.

With three spotted hyenas approaching at high speed and calling, the Torchwood male gave off a hissing snarl to try and scare them away.

It just goes to show that whilst on safari you never know what is going to happen or what awaits you around the next corner. I just hope the next time I see an aardvark, it will be under different circumstances though."
4 users Like Ngala's post

Michael Offline

(11-19-2017, 01:50 AM)Ngala Wrote: From Londolozi Game Reserve, A Day I Will Never Forget by Guy Brunskill:
"

While all of us sat entranced by the crash, Shadrack, our tracker, was scanning the surrounding area and pulled off an amazing spot of a leopard walking along one of the roads about 500m away. We quickly headed in his direction as it can be incredibly easy to lose sight of these camouflaged creatures in long grass. This was the first leopard sighting my guests had had at Londolozi. We identified the male leopard to be the Torchwood male, which made the sighting all the more special for me as I had never seen this particular leopard before. He is a male who holds territory falling mostly to the west of Londolozi and he was possibly investigating the option of expanding further eastwards. He walked past our vehicle and we followed him for a while, assuming he was on a territorial patrol but moments after that he started moving with a lot more intent and we came to realize he was on the search for something to eat.

The Torchwood male walks along the road, which offers the path of least resistance. This male leopard’s eyes seem lighter to me than his counterparts and are by far the most beautiful I have seen.

He walked up a prominent termite mound to observe the surrounding area, using it as a vantage point to see if there was any potential prey close by.

Leopards are known as crepuscular animals, which means they are most active during dusk and dawn. This is when they do most of their hunting because they have superb nocturnal vision and have a better chance of moving undetected by prey. Their chances of hunting successfully are thus usually better at night and because of the cooler temperatures they use less energy. We were all intrigued to know if anything had happened despite the heat of the day though, so we headed back to see if we could find him during our afternoon drive.

This is where we all got to see something none of us were expecting…

When we found him, he had in fact made a kill. It was what he had made that startled us so much.

Can you spot the dead animal? The Torchwood male rests in the top of the tree during the afternoon warmth, knowing he has a secure meal less than 2m away from him in the fork (top right of the picture).

Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you. That’s an aardvark up in the tree! The look on my guests faces when they realized it was an aardvark said it all. It was a first for all of us, with none of us having seen an aardvark alive before, let alone one that had been hoisted into a tree by a leopard. Aardvarks, a strange looking creature that feeds on ants and termites, are nocturnal animals which are very rarely seen. Guides go many years in the bush without seeing these elusive creatures and now we had both an aardvark and a leopard in the same sighting. Although we felt rather sorry for the caught and now-deceased animal, it was incredibly exciting at the same as it was the furtherest thing from what we expected.

After watching him rest for a while, our patience paid off as the Torchwood male stood up, looked towards the aardvark and moved towards it to feed.

Aardvarks are certainly not small animals and can weight between 50-60kg and live for about 20 years. Their diet is comprised mainly of ants and termites.

Leopards are often seen feeding on only some parts of the intestines. Here he is feeding on a portion of them, ensuring there is nothing wasted as these predators are never sure when their next meal will be.

We all sat in awe as this leopard fed on the aardvark. In all likelihood, due to the nocturnal nature of aardvarks, the leopard made this kill the night before and returned to it after a morning of territorial patrol. Interestingly enough he had not fed on much of it though. After watching him feeding for roughly 30minutes, we began to question why there weren’t any hyenas around the base of the tree trying to scavenge pieces potentially dropping to the ground. It wasn’t a minute after we’d uttered the words that the Torchwood male lifted his head and gazed inquisitively past our vehicle where a hyena had just appeared.

The male leopard briefly stops feeding and stares behind us to identify what animal is approaching him.

With three spotted hyenas approaching at high speed and calling, the Torchwood male gave off a hissing snarl to try and scare them away.

It just goes to show that whilst on safari you never know what is going to happen or what awaits you around the next corner. I just hope the next time I see an aardvark, it will be under different circumstances though."
What is he eating in the sixth picture is that part of the intestine or is that an aardvark fetus ?
1 user Likes Michael's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Nihad N Vajid‎.

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 04:27 PM by Ngala )

From Londolozi Game Reserve, 26 Sept. 2009, Female Leopard Hunts Massive African Rock Python by Rich Laburn:
"The leopard was unashamed.  Lithe and sleek, her coat bristled and shone in the early morning sunlight as she strolled down the road.  Every few paces her tail would swiftly flick the insects bothering her and then settle once again into her graceful stride.  She was the Vomba Female, a mature leopard whose large territory covered much of the prime Sand River running through Londolozi.

As she continued forward, something caught her eye in the depths of a termitaria thicket.  It was subtle and camouflaged causing her to stare at it warily before venturing off the road into the dry bushveld for further investigation.  The snake had not sensed her coming and now found itself shifting further into the thicket to avoid a confrontation.  It was a massive African Rock Python, colossal in its girth and length.  Its muscular body rolled through the crunching leaves winding, curling and coiling itself into a defensive position.

Vomba’s curiosity could not be denied.  With typical catlike inquisition she padded her way towards the python.  She was not afraid, rather cocky and sure of herself, as if she just wanted to toy with the reptile for fun.  Moving swiftly now, Vomba reached inside the thicket and sunk her claws into the pythons wide body.  There was plenty of skin to grab as the snake reacted with fright to the sudden aggression and now found itself being dragged out into the open.  Turning to face its assailant, the serpentine head emerged to the left of Vomba ready to attack.  With deadly accuracy and speed the python lunged forward to strike.  It was not quick enough as Vomba’s lightning quick paw shot out and swatted the snake back down to the ground, dragging it further out the bush and into the clearing.  The moment was brief as python and leopard became embroiled in a violent confrontation until Vomba leapt away as the python regained composure.

The momentary aftermath saw the snake desperately moving back under cover and Vomba shrugging off any interest in the matter.  With a final gaze, she bristled, turned and with a flick of her tail continued walking down the road from which she had come.  An astonishing interaction between two species in their prime condition."

Video Footage: Arlene Bonin (Londolozi Guest)
Photographs: Rich Laburn & Gavin Lautenbach
Written by: Rich Laburn

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member

2 users Like AlexE's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member

[video=facebook]https://ru-ru.facebook.com/355809838257/videos/10156239658353258/[/video]
1 user Likes AlexE's post