There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kambula Pride

Ttimemarti Offline

(05-16-2023, 12:03 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: So whats the deal with Kambula pride?

Looks like we always see the same group of 3-5 females, younger ones mostly, with 8 cubs.

4 females attacking 6th older female where all younger ones i think, atleast 3 are for sure.

Where are the other females, older ones?

A lot of agression and tension on most sightings.

Those younger females definetly inhert agression and feistiness from their moms.

Most recent sighting, Ndhzegas with that young females group with 8 cubs :

Could it be that those younger females want to breakaway from mothers?

It is frustrating but the pride should have what at least 7 females with 1 older and 1 younger female said to be dead that leaves k6 no cubs and then 2 other older girls in the main pride I believe one of the breakaways gave birth to nwasitshaka cubs too I have no idea how many younger females are alive I was told 6 then 7 but one apparently died 1 is with her 4 brothers I’d love an official headcount
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-16-2023, 12:23 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It is frustrating but the pride should have what at least 7 females with 1 older and 1 younger female said to be dead that leaves k6 no cubs and then 2 other older girls in the main pride I believe one of the breakaways gave birth to nwasitshaka cubs too I have no idea how many younger females are alive I was told 6 then 7 but one apparently died 1 is with her 4 brothers I’d love an official headcount

Yes, even with 2 dead, they should still have 7 females ( 3 older and 4 younger) in main pride + 2 older breakaway and 1 younger with young males.

Unless some other deaths happened which we are not aware of.

Maybe some females are denning, idk.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 prides don't split if they don't have a good reason to. It's probably just that the pride is big and they can't feed everybody if they stay together at all times.

They had cubs together and are under the same males, they won't split.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Ttimemarti they have 9 females currently, 5 old and 4 young.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

"After spending the whole day keeping an eye on the massive buffalo herd, the Kambula Breakaways got the chance they had been waiting for - an old cow isolated from the rest of the herd. Without hesitation the hunt was on! After a quick attempt from the cow to escape it was too late and the lions had her flat on the ground, without any support from the rest of the herd everything was over before it really began.

These lions will spend the next few days protecting their kill and feasting on it. A successful day for the lions, and not so successful for the buffalo."

*This image is copyright of its original author

9 users Like lionuk's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

About a week ago, I received a message wit some bad news.   The message passed along information regarding both of the youngest Birmingham offspring of the Kambula pride (the two females in the breakaways) were now dead.  

I wanted to corroborate and wait for more information so I out some feelers out.  today it was sadly confirmed by a londolozi guide.   

The carcass of the last of the sub adult was found three weeks ago.   (If you recall the second female had been missing since the deaths of Kambulas were announced ). Not sure of the circumstances but they did see tracks of male lions in the vicinity.  

This is heartbreaking for me.    I’ve tracked these girls since their earliest introduction into the pride.    They’re immediate flee with their mothers and siblings away from harms way to escape the N’waswitshaka takeover and until recent news that one had apparently been assimilated back into the pride.  

So this is of course been hard to accept.   

RIP princesses.

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-26-2023, 01:09 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-26-2023, 12:30 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: About a week ago, I received a message wit some bad news.   The message passed along information regarding both of the youngest Birmingham offspring of the Kambula pride (the two females in the breakaways) were now dead.  

I wanted to corroborate and wait for more information so I out some feelers out.  today it was sadly confirmed by a londolozi guide.   

The carcass of the last of the sub adult was found three weeks ago.   (If you recall the second female had been missing since the deaths of Kambulas were announced ). Not sure of the circumstances but they did see tracks of male lions in the vicinity.  

This is heartbreaking for me.    I’ve tracked these girls since their earliest introduction into the pride.    They’re immediate flee with their mothers and siblings away from harms way to escape the N’waswitshaka takeover and until recent news that one had apparently been assimilated back into the pride.  

So this is of course been hard to accept.   

RIP princesses.

Chances of their survival significantly droped (where not great in the first place) as 2 adult females went back to estrus fairly early and where start seeking males to mate.

2 subs where too young to leave their mothers, and being near them when they are hanging with males is very dangerus, and was prob fatal for both of them.

1st sub female was prob killed by Gijimas at Umkumbe, while 2nd by Ndhzengas/Kambulas.

WildRev Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2023, 06:54 PM by WildRev )

Kambula pride and grumpy Amahle
8 users Like WildRev's post

Mwk85 Offline

Kambulas fighting amongst themselves again 

5 users Like Mwk85's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2023, 09:21 PM by criollo2mil )

(05-16-2023, 10:07 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Ttimemarti they have 9 females currently, 5 old and 4 young.

Nine but the split is different:   It’s 5 young and 4 old.

K1 and K4 of the original six have not been seen in months.

EDIT:  NEW COUNT IS 4 YOUNG; 4 OLD KAMBULAS
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2023, 04:51 PM by Tr1x24 )

Again same group of 4 younger females with 8 cubs.

As i said, i think these 4 females are trying to breakaway (or oust their mothers) and thats why they are attacking older females everytime they meet.

Pride of 9 adult females is not sustainable on the long run, large prides like that always split.

There should be 5 older females alive, where are they? Any info from the field??

Edit: I now see that K1 is missing aswell.

So K2 and K3 are breakaways and prob are not accepted by 4 younger ones, so leaving K6 (who is prob lioness who is trying to join them, but she gets attacked everytime) and K5 ( not sure on her status).

How mighty 6 original Kambulas fall, looks like 2 are gone and rest are scattered around, denied by their daughters.

Their Birmingham daughters look fierce just like them, so future of Kambulas is in good hands.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Too early to make such dramatic claim and this is not how lions usually breakaway. They do when they are forced to, they don't try to oust their mothers or breakaway for the sake of it, if they don't have anything forcing them to.

Original Kambulas themselves split from their mothers because they were forced, not because they wanted to, and they'd still try to reunite ( and do reunite successfully ) before finally breaking away for good.

Both generation of Kambulas had cubs together as a single pride with the same males under the same territory. Reason why K6 gets attacked is because she is rough with cubs, we've seen this multiple times. Also she has the scent of other males like BDM which probably doesn't help.

Big prides split for weeks or even months all the time, it's how they operate, they won't be able to feed everybody if they are all together at all times.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 12:20 AM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser  I dont think its too early, this is happening for months now, not just few weeks or days.

K1 and K4 are gone by the looks of it.

4 young Kambulas will not accept K3 and K2 ( where are they even? ) back after years of absence, especially with cubs around, and as we see, they are attacking K6 regulary and very fiercly, i dont think K6 will be tolerate around, eventually she will just stop returning when she realize she is not welcome.

Idk what is with K5, even if she hangs with 4 younger ones, thats 1 out of 6 original Kambulas in core pride.

Although this kind of breakaways are not common, they happen, it doesnt have to be forced.

6 original Kambulas breakaway in similar fashion from Mhangenis , they where not forced out, they just chosed to go their own way.

Similar thing happened with Torchwoods not long ago.

Idk, maybe someone has more info from the field, im just saying what i see from these sightings.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 05:53 AM by Mapokser )

This is happening for months? Younger females won't accept their mothers? If so how does MalaMala march report says this?

*Despite the loss of two lionesses, the pride appear stronger and more unified now than they have 
been for months. Even lionesses from Kambula Group A have reintegrated with the core of the pride.*

There's literally no evidence the pride is breaking away and for all we know only 2 lionesses died so far, one younger and one older.

You're seeing some little footage here and there and coming to a drastic conclusion.

MalaMala april report also makes no mention of anyone breaking away or any members being rejected. This is normal behavior in any big pride, I remember reading Sparta pride and WSM reports in the 2000s and the pride was always spliting in multiple groups, months would pass without the smaller groups being sighted together, still no breakaway happened, it was just how a big dominant pride in Mala Mala operates, now we see some footage throughout a few weeks with only 4 females and you assume they kicked out their mothers?

To add to that, Kambulas were forced away, there's literally a report I think from 2016 ( I can find it and share it here later ) saying they finally reunited with their mothers and the Mangheni 12 becoming a huge pride, but ranger said "will they stay together now or be forced to split again?".
3 users Like Mapokser's post