There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Jaguar Predation

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(06-23-2020, 01:14 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 06:58 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Huge caiman

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Romain Bodereau

Those were the same female jaguar and the same caiman that some people shared a while ago.

It is, just from a different angle where you can appreciate the size of the caiman better.

Malaysia johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(06-17-2020, 05:26 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Another large caiman kill

"Pure Power! Jaguars will often haul their prey items ( in this photo a Paraguayan caiman) up steep embankments to eat in privacy. Untamed Jaguars of the Pantanal Expedition"

By Untamed Expeditions

Young/sub-adult makes a deep water kill

By Sergio Vercezi

I just realized the caiman's neck was ripped apart. I'm not sure in terms of absolute which big cats have the strongest bite force.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(06-24-2020, 11:49 AM)johnny rex Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 05:26 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Another large caiman kill

"Pure Power! Jaguars will often haul their prey items ( in this photo a Paraguayan caiman) up steep embankments to eat in privacy. Untamed Jaguars of the Pantanal Expedition"

By Untamed Expeditions

Young/sub-adult makes a deep water kill

By Sergio Vercezi

I just realized the caiman's neck was ripped apart. I'm not sure in terms of absolute which big cats have the strongest bite force.

That's probably between lions and tigers as they are the largest cats, but jaguars do have the strongest pound for pound. All the studies I've seen that calculate bite force are made from skull measurements and thus are not an accurate account of the animal biting into measuring device, so really we just have to speculate on here and go by the BFQ calculations we do have available in which the jaguar comes on top followed by the tiger and the lion.
4 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Today I was in contact with a very popular safari reserve in the Colombian Llanos and I asked them about the feeing habits of jaguars in the area, they told me that their main prey items where capybara and white tailed deer, they also said that despite having a steady population of wild horses they haven't registered any predation on horses by jaguars or cougars as of yet, they said that could be due to the very healthy populations of their common prey in the reserve. They also haven't registered losses on cattle or domestic horses either, that's what happens when the biome where these cats live has enough of their natural prey for them.

They also told me they have registered both jaguars and cougars through camera trapping but haven't released the images (I'm crossing my fingers they will eventually do so), that was the most frustrating part because the photographic data we have of these jaguars is scarce.
3 users Like Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@"OncaAtrox"

I am gonna be posting a study in the future that horses are part of the jaguars diet as one of its biggest prey and unlike wild boars there are account of it.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Dark Jaguar do you mean wild/feral horses or domestic? I don't doubt they kill domestic horses as we have accounts of that happening but if you happen to have data on predation of wild horses that would be amazing information.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2020, 06:07 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-25-2020, 04:31 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Dark Jaguar do you mean wild/feral horses or domestic? I don't doubt they kill domestic horses as we have accounts of that happening but if you happen to have data on predation of wild horses that would be amazing information.

No, The main focus is the quantity of predations on domestic adult horses including adult pantaneiro breed horses, With all data gathered it is worth noting from cases some individuals of jaguars for some reason do have domestic adult horses as prey even with good amount of natural preys and conservation available to an extend for it to be a minor part of its diet of big animals despite not being a natural prey for them. they prey on horses including the Pantaneiro Breed however these cases get completely overshadowed by the cattles situations in general which leads to the whole old conflicts with ranchers, but It happens more often than we imagine.

But it won't be just about predations there will be overlap in territories of jaguars, which population has larger areas patrolled and dominated than others, changes in habits and main preys according to the seasons and more.

What I can assure you is that it will be a very big post so get ready to read.

This whole post will also as a consequence lead me to drop a post in the puma predation thread and in the jaguars weight and measurements thread as well.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Dark Jaguar looking forward into yet another great post! I'll save my thoughts about the details and nature of horse predation also for that time.
2 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-28-2020, 05:10 PM by Balam )

Huge cattle kill in los Llanos

4 users Like Balam's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

4 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 12:56 AM by Balam )

6 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 08:08 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Pantanal Jaguar Camp

Male dragging an anaconda kill in Porto Jofre.

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-05-2020, 05:09 AM by Balam )

Cattle kill, Southern Pantanal

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCMmFEfhLtL...ypvvnijxaz

By Pousada Aguape
3 users Like Balam's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Has there been any photographs of jaguars with a marsh deer kill?

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Lycaon not to my knowledge, in fact I haven't seen any footage or pictures of any deer kills. Mash deer live in low concentrations so I'm guessing that's why finding a kill by a jaguar might be challenging.