There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Jaguar Predation

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@oncaatrox
Heres the water buffalo I was talking about

*This image is copyright of its original author

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(04-22-2020, 11:39 PM)Pckts Wrote: @oncaatrox

That buffalo is huge, I knew Pantanal had some feral buffalos but they have probably mostly been wiped out by now.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Mexican jaguar with adult male tapir kill

Source: http://www.cyd.conacyt.gob.mx/?p=articulo&id=67
2 users Like Balam's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-22-2020, 11:45 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote:

That buffalo is huge, I knew Pantanal had some feral buffalos but they have probably mostly been wiped out by now.

They are rarer for sure, locals consider them a nuisance in the North and while it's not technically legal, they offer up hunts for them and it's a popular attraction.
My guide is actually a fan of them only because the Water buffalo will kill Jaguar cubs when they find them.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(04-22-2020, 11:51 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 11:45 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote:

They are rarer for sure, locals consider them a nuisance in the North and while it's not technically legal, they offer up hunts for them and it's a popular attraction.
My guide is actually a fan of them only because the Water buffalo will kill Jaguar cubs when they find them.

I'm personally not opposed to having large feral bovids in the wetlands of South America, they could be a good source of food for jaguars and replace the extinct magafuana they used to rely on before the Holocene mass extinction. A jaguar that regularly feeds on bovids will grow past 150 kg mark at its prime IMO. Jaguars do tend to have a preference for cattle when they have access to them, I imagine some of these feral buffalos learned to have a distaste for jaguars the way buffalos in Africa do for lions due to predation on calves and cows in the wild and would take the opportunity to kill them if they can, I haven't heard of predation on buffalo bulls yet. It's a fascinating dynamic.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Imran Hussain
Incredible moment caiman is caught by one-eyed jaguar after sneaking up on it through water ...

The action-packed images of the one-eyed jaguar were captured in the Pantanal wetlands of western Brazil. The stealthy cat was caught prowling the bank

3 users Like Pckts's post

bigcatlover Offline

Jaguar predation on a large caiman
1 user Likes bigcatlover's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

2 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Michel Zoghzoghi: " This is probably one of the most amazing wildlife moment I have had the privilege to witness. "

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 09:27 PM by Pckts )

Mick Jaguar making a Caiman kill then dragging it off through the dense vegetation and steep slope.

In case it doesn't embed
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_ck3DHgo3Y...npka1msg0e
2 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 12:27 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Geoff male showing the tourists how to hunt. including amazing strength feat at 1:15m when Geoff swims while carrying the caiman carcass at same time.

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

2 users Like Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 07:02 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Typical classic Jaguar consumption way and kill position.

Zebu of approximately 2 years old, killed and partially consumed by jaguar. Unlike Pumas Jags generally devour the chest flesh, the ribs, palette and the neck and put its prey in this characteristic position.

( Hato La Vergareña, Estado Boliviar, Venezuela )

This is typical Jag.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Jaguar kills 5 adult horses and two cattle calves within a month in Cauca, Colombia.

Source: https://noticias.caracoltv.com/cali/el-temor-ronda-en-sur-del-cauca-por-jaguar-que-se-ha-comido-caballos-y-novillos

5 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

More horse predation:

Costa Rican jaguar kills adult horse and partially consumes at least 15 kg from the carcass:

https://www.acguanacaste.ac.cr/noticias/noticias-programa-de-sectores/818-caballo-atacado-por-jaguar-en-sector-santa-maria

Bolivian jaguar kills adult horse:

http://eju.tv/2016/09/reaparece-jaguar-en-la-g-77-ataco-a-un-caballo/
3 users Like Balam's post