There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Attacks & Accidents in zoos and facilities

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Completely daft ! How did this very jung boy enter the gorilla area ?

Once again, we kill an animal because of an human negligence...
4 users Like Spalea's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

"Once again, we kill an animal because of human negligence"

An all too familiar theme.
3 users Like chaos's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Here is another incident of gorilla and child.
                                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CMxMv34_A
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

And here is another.
                                                 http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/when-...he-gorilla
2 users Like brotherbear's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM by peter )

TIGER 'WHISPERER' KILLED BY ADULT MALE MALAYAN TIGER

Sad story. Happened a year ago in Palm Beach (USA):

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/16/tiger-whisperer-mauled-to-death-by-endangered-animal-at-zoo-5820526/

The newspaper article also has a link to a story about an incident that happened a few days ago in the UK.

Here's an article from a Dutch channel about that incident. It has a photograph of the (white) tiger that was involved:

http://nos.nl/artikel/2175673-oppasser-in-britse-dierentuin-gedood-door-tijger.html

I'm afraid incidents like this one are just the top of the iceberg. Keepers often treat big cats like personal friends. After some time, they forget that there are good reasons to keep big cats and humans seperated.
4 users Like peter's post

bigcatlover Offline

the guide woudnt be so lucky if it was a similarly sized leopard
2 users Like bigcatlover's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-13-2019, 09:41 AM by Rishi )

ABOUT THE NEW THREAD

The section 'Captive Animals' has a thread about incidents between humans and captive animals. Apart from the circus threads, however, there's no thread on incidents between animals in facilities.

For this reason, I decided for this new thread.

The aim of this thread is to collect information about incidents between captive animals in zoos and facilities (not the circus). Incidents in which humans were not involved, that is. Not directly, I mean. 

BROWN BEARS KILL WOLF IN DUTCH FACILITY

In Europe, apart from zoos, you can find many facilities. Most are open to the public. The incident discussed in this post happened in a facility in the southern part of the Netherlands. In that facility, wolves and brown bears are kept in one large enclosure. 

It isn't the only facility in which grey wolves and brown bears live in one enclosure. May seem a bit strange to some of us, but I never read anything about problems.

Until today.

The article at the bottom of this post says that one of the wolves fell into a small pool during play. When it tried to get out, it was attacked by a bear. The other bears immediately joined. Although the other wolves tried to intervene, the wolf was killed. On account of the violence, the video (02:37), shot by a visitor, starts with a warning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o822wdJDqmY

The spokesman said the incident won't result in a new strategy on brown bears and wolves. Apparently, they consider it a freak incident. The article is in Dutch:

https://nos.nl/artikel/2257108-beren-doden-wolf-in-dierenrijk-in-mierlo.html
1 user Likes peter's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-30-2018, 10:22 PM)peter Wrote: BROWN BEARS KILL WOLF IN DUTCH FACILITY

We have a thread about incidents between humans and captive animals in this section (captive animals), but, apart from the two circus threads, nothing on incidents between animals. For this reason, I decided for this new thread.

The aim of the thread is to collect information about incidents between captive animals in zoos and facilities (not the circus). Incidents in which humans were not involved, that is.

In Europe, apart from zoos, you can find lots of facilities. Most are open to the public. This incident discussed in this post happened in a facility in The Netherlands. I never heard of it before, but it apparently has brown bears and wolves. They live together in one part of the facility.

According to a spokesman, the brown bears and wolves never had any problems. Until today.

During play, one of the wolves fell into a small pool. When it tried to get out, it was attacked by a bear. The three other bears immediately joined. Although the other wolves tried to intervene, the wolf was killed. The video (02:38), shot by a visitor, starts with a warning, as it's violent:

The spokeswoman said the incident, apparently considered as a freak incident, won't result in a new strategy on brown bears and wolves. The article is in Dutch:

"The spokeswoman said the incident, apparently considered as a freak incident, won't result in a new strategy on brown bears and wolves. The article is in Dutch:"

Of course, why would they attempt to fix a problem?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

We have a thread about incidents between humans and captive animals in this section (captive animals), but, apart from the two circus threads, nothing on incidents between animals. For this reason, I decided for this new thread.

The aim of the thread is to collect information about incidents between captive animals in zoos and facilities (not the circus). Incidents in which humans were not involved, that is.

In Europe, apart from zoos, you can find lots of facilities. Most are open to the public. This incident discussed in this post happened in a facility in The Netherlands. I never heard of it before, but it apparently has brown bears and wolves. They live together in one part of the facility.

According to a spokesman, the brown bears and wolves never had any problems. Until today.

During play, one of the wolves fell into a small pool. When it tried to get out, it was attacked by a bear. The three other bears immediately joined. Although the other wolves tried to intervene, the wolf was killed. The video (02:38), shot by a visitor, starts with a warning, as it's violent:

The spokeswoman said the incident, apparently considered as a freak incident, won't result in a new strategy on brown bears and wolves. The article is in Dutch:

Unlucky wolf, water balances too much agility advance and bear can actually catch it. Who knows if bear just saw a chance and used it, on dry land it is pretty impossible for a bear to catch a wolf.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-31-2018, 12:10 AM by peter )

(10-30-2018, 10:33 PM)Pckts Wrote:

"The spokeswoman said the incident, apparently considered as a freak incident, won't result in a new strategy on brown bears and wolves. The article is in Dutch:"

The big cat facility I often visited some twenty odd years ago had a very large male brown bear from eastern Europe. I also saw other brown bears later. All of them were moved to other facilities shortly after they had arrived. 

I visited one of these facilities some time later. In that facility grey wolves and brown bears lived in a large enclosure as well. I thought I saw quite a bit of animosity, but they said the combination was, ehhh, 'natural'.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2018, 11:07 PM by Pckts )

(10-30-2018, 11:00 PM)peter Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:33 PM)Pckts Wrote:

The big cat facility I often visited some twenty odd years ago had a very large male brown bear from eastern Europe. As he never felt quite at home, it was decided to move him to another facility.

A year after he was moved, I visited the facility, also in the Netherlands. In that facility, grey wolves and brown bears lived in a large enclosure as well. I thought I saw a bit of animosity, but they said it was, ehhh, 'natural'.

Natural and Captive are contradictory by definition.
No worker or volunteer would ever want to think they are involved in cruelty so most tend to find a "purpose" in their profession.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Poland nobody Offline

Lioness kills father of her three cubs at Indianapolis Zoo by locking her jaws onto his neck

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-10-22/lioness-kills-father-of-her-three-cubs-at-indianapolis-zoo/
1 user Likes nobody's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-20-2019, 04:44 AM by Amnon242 )

1. In 1975 amur tiger killed a lion in a czechoslovakian circus. Mixed act, 1 male tiger, 1 male lion, several tigresses and lionesses. Animals always went into the arena via narrow corridor. First male lion, then lionesses, then tigresses and last one was male tiger. One day everything was as usual, lion went into the corridor, but suddenly the tiger overtook the lionesses, went into the corridor, pressed himself next to the lion (the corridor was narrow so lion was unable to move) and quickly killed him. After that he normally walked into the arena as if nothing happened.

2. In one Zoo in Czech republic, an employee made a mistake and african lioness and malayan tigress met each other in backstage area. Furious fight lasted couple of minutes. Result: draw. When the fight ended, both felids were in opposite corners, snarling at each other. 

3. Same zoo, similar mistake of employee, male lion attacked a leopard, but leopard was so furious that he successfully repelled the attack. 

4. And this zoo once again: lions (male + female) met 3 malayan bears. Lions wanted to attack, but bears stood on their hindlegs waving their claws so lions changed their mind and withdrew

5. Different zoo in Czech republic: old barbary male has been injured in a fight with his lioness...he later died of blood poisoning.

6.  In 1990s a man jumped into the enclosure of amur tiger in zoo prague. The tiger quickly killed him by o throat bite. I heard that the man suffered from toxoplasmosis. 

7. In different zoo in Czech republic white bengal male attacked the breeder and then he escaped into the area for visitors (early in the morning, so almost no visitors were present). So he went on a walk in the zoo, got interested in penguins and then he noticed couple of lions behind the glass. He spent about one hour in front of their enclosure, trying to get inside to attack them...finaly has been darted by vet.
1 user Likes Amnon242's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

A male lion kills a lioness in Polish zoo...

1 user Likes Spalea's post