There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Huge Amur Siberian Tiger

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-02-2019, 04:48 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 04:41 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 04:35 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 04:18 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 01:51 AM)tigerluver Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 10:28 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: He is about as large as the giant Cave lion from the Ural region.

Anyone minds to give an opinion about this intuitive comparison?

*This image is copyright of its original author

I really don't like to touch comparisons like this but I'll do it for a friend. I matched the lower leg length of the people as a scale but people can modify these two panels as they see fit:

I read that the zookeeper is a tall woman with large frame, and the tiger was also further away.

BTW, I personally think these two animals might have the similar shoulder height.
One thing to consider when looking that photo. That woman seems to stand quite clearly in lower level that that tiger. That paw of tiger is quite visible, compare to boots of that woman. If that tiger would be also as low as woman compared to base of that fence, that paw would be hidden behind base of fence completely.

I think this could be the same zookeeper, and the exact location if I remember correctly (read from the original poster) was likely Czech Republic.

According to the orignal poster, the zookeeper's height was about 180 cm.

With height 180 cm for that zoo keeper I get shoulder height 112 cm for that tiger. It is difficult to say how much it effects, that tiger is a little bit different place, distance is still quite small... Anyway if that woman is 180 cm, then my best guess for that tiger is 110-115 cm shoulder height.

When standing with hind legs, he looks at least as tall as Hercules, but with a more robust built frame.

2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2019, 04:48 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 04:41 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 04:29 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 04:25 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 10:28 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: He is about as large as the giant Cave lion from the Ural region.

I really don't like to touch comparisons like this but I'll do it for a friend. I matched the lower leg length of the people as a scale but people can modify these two panels as they see fit:

I read that the zookeeper is a tall woman with large frame, and the tiger was also further away.

BTW, I personally think these two animals might have the similar shoulder height.

Is there somewhere more information about that tiger and woman? I looked, that if she is Asian, probably short and that tiger then again quite normal looking. But pretty hard to say when there is no easy thing to compare reliably.

The huge Amur tiger was from a zoo of Central Europe, so the zookeeper was a tall blonde European woman.

Definitely taller than the Russian lady who stands aside of the Cave lion replica.
If that zoo keeper is 170 cm, then that tiger is about 105 cm shoulder height. I look again though and double check my calculations :)

The Russian lady looks noticeably chubbier and shorter in frame than the zookeeper, then the largest Cave lion was only about 105 cm in shoulder?

You have to take these two factors into account; the Amur tiger is farther from the camera, and the zookeeper in comparison was also a taller woman with bigger frame.

I won't be surprise if both stands a little bit over 4 feet tall at shoulder.

I made this calculation in very simple way. First I used ruler to measure height of that woman in screen. On my screen I got 135 mm, because her knees were bent a little bit and she has boots, I used a little bit "violence" and decided, that she is 180 cm in that photo. Then I just did 180:135 calculation so that I got a value, that how much one mm is in centimeters (1,33). Then I took tiger height with ruler in mm and calculated 84 x 1,33= 112 cm. And I think, that that 84 mm was fair for tiger from that photo. 

Then when thinking their position I think, that there might be a few centimeters more, but also less, because I had to make best guess about that paw. 

Of course it is possible, that it could be even 120 cm, but with this information I choose to be quite... is that conservative in estimation, when wanting to avoid exaggeration :)
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2019, 04:51 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

One thing to consider when looking that photo. That woman seems to stand quite clearly in lower level that that tiger. That paw of tiger is quite visible, compare to boots of that woman. If that tiger would be also as low as woman compared to base of that fence, that paw would be hidden behind base of fence completely.

I think this could be the same zookeeper, and the exact location if I remember correctly (read from the original poster) was likely Czech Republic.

With height 180 cm for that zoo keeper I get shoulder height 112 cm for that tiger. It is difficult to say how much it effects, that tiger is a little bit different place, distance is still quite small... Anyway if that woman is 180 cm, then my best guess for that tiger is 110-115 cm shoulder height.

When standing with hind legs, he looks at least as tall as Hercules, but with a more robust built frame.

That tiger is very robust looking, that is clear. Of course when that tiger stands on hind legs, it is already with 15 cm advantage because it stands that much higher ground there. But big tigers are about 8 feet on hind legs(?), it might be that size. I check if some estimation is possible from some still picture.

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 05:08 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(02-02-2019, 04:57 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Is there somewhere more information about that tiger and woman? I looked, that if she is Asian, probably short and that tiger then again quite normal looking. But pretty hard to say when there is no easy thing to compare reliably.

The huge Amur tiger was from a zoo of Central Europe, so the zookeeper was a tall blonde European woman.

Definitely taller than the Russian lady who stands aside of the Cave lion replica.
If that zoo keeper is 170 cm, then that tiger is about 105 cm shoulder height. I look again though and double check my calculations :)

The Russian lady looks noticeably chubbier and shorter in frame than the zookeeper, then the largest Cave lion was only about 105 cm in shoulder?

You have to take these two factors into account; the Amur tiger is farther from the camera, and the zookeeper in comparison was also a taller woman with bigger frame.

I made this calculation in very simple way. First I used ruler to measure height of that woman in screen. On my screen I got 135 mm, because her knees were bent a little bit and she has boots, I used a little bit "violence" and decided, that she is 180 cm in that photo. Then I just did 180:135 calculation so that I got a value, that how much one mm is in centimeters (1,33). Then I took tiger height with ruler in mm and calculated 84 x 1,33= 112 cm. And I think, that that 84 mm was fair for tiger from that photo. 

Then when thinking their position I think, that there might be a few centimeters more, but also less, because I had to make best guess about that paw. 

Of course it is possible, that it could be even 120 cm, but with this information I choose to be quite... is that conservative in estimation, when wanting to avoid exaggeration :)

From my own observation, the largest big cat (including the prehistoric ones) stand as tall as 130 cm at shoulder, when enacting with the hind legs, it is going to stand as tall as Bart the bear, but not as heavy. Bart was 1500 pounds at his prime, no big cat in the history would weigh that much.

The tiger in the video when standing on two was already prehistoric sized, you won't see the normal lion or tiger reached that kind of magnitude.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2019, 05:05 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 04:57 AM)Shadow Wrote:

From my own observation, the largest big cat (including the prehistoric ones) stand as tall as 130 cm at shoulder, when enacting with the hind legs, it is going to stand as tall as Bart the bear, but not as heavy. Bart was 1500 pounds at his prime, no big cat in the history would weigh that much.

The tiger in the video when standing on two was already prehistoric sized, you won't see the normal lion or tiger reached that kind of magnitude.

Well, when not anything 100% certain to take as base of calculations, it is very difficult to say much, at least I don´t dare :) If there would be some detail in that photo which would be sure, then it would be much easier. Robust tiger, that is clear :)

Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-02-2019, 05:01 AM)Shadow Wrote:

That tiger is very robust looking, that is clear. Of course when that tiger stands on hind legs, it is already with 15 cm advantage because it stands that much higher ground there. But big tigers are about 8 feet on hind legs(?), it might be that size. I check if some estimation is possible from some still picture.

Actually, the zookeeper did stand on the higher ground when the tiger was standing on two.

You can review that video again.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2019, 05:15 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

Actually, the zookeeper did stand on the higher ground when the tiger was standing on two.

In that I have to disagree completely. It is the same place and she is about 10-15 cm lower at least.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This screenshot is just a moment before tiger raises to hindlegs, at that point view goes higher too.

Attached Files Image(s)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

One thing, of course perspective confuses in screenshots, but forelegs and paws are clearly visible even though that tiger is right next to fence. It is clear, that snow is remowed daily from there where that woman stands while it isn´t from tiger enclosure. So that tiger has 10-15 cm trodden and hard snow layer under it. That is quite much if it´s not taken into account when looking at size of that tiger compared to that woman.

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 06:17 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(02-02-2019, 05:27 AM)Shadow Wrote:

This screenshot is just a moment before tiger raises to hindlegs, at that point view goes higher too.

In this video, the zookeeper was standing on a wooden board or something, so she stood on a higher ground than the giant tiger.

When she was like 20 inches off the ground, she still can barely reach tiger's throat.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2019, 06:15 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 01:51 AM)tigerluver Wrote: I really don't like to touch comparisons like this but I'll do it for a friend. I matched the lower leg length of the people as a scale but people can modify these two panels as they see fit:

In this video, the zookeeper was standing on a wooden board or something, so she stood on a higher ground than the giant tiger.

When she was like 20 inches off the ground, she still can barely reach tiger's throat.

Oh yes that :) So there was misunderstanding. I actually tried to figure out this tiger too but I forgot now what I got, have to look again :)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2019, 06:15 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 01:51 AM)tigerluver Wrote: I really don't like to touch comparisons like this but I'll do it for a friend. I matched the lower leg length of the people as a scale but people can modify these two panels as they see fit:

This is quite tricky, from this angle something bothers at least me. Big tiger for sure.

genao87 Offline

i dont think that ground is higher on the Tiger's end.  i believe the snow is making it look higher.   simple rules of projection just makes the ground look higher.  i dont think they would of made the ground higher when the ground looks even level to me.
2 users Like genao87's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-02-2019, 10:44 AM)genao87 Wrote: i dont think that ground is higher on the Tiger's end.  i believe the snow is making it look higher.   simple rules of projection just makes the ground look higher.  i dont think they would of made the ground higher when the ground looks even level to me.

Still it is higher. That is very easy to see when looking the boots of that woman. If that tiger would be at same level, you couldn´t see front paws at all. That is very simple thing to notice and nothing to do with projection. Tiger paw isn´t 20 cm high. It is also simple rule, that if some object like that base of fence is about 15 cm high, it will then cover any object behind it close by. That tiger stands very close of that fence.

Also it is logical, that when there is snowing, that area what staff is using is kept clear of snow, but do you think, that they go inside tiger enclosure to do the same daily Wink So when tiger is fed at that place, ti walks there and by time there is thicker layer of snow compared to other side. It just is as it is. That tiger looks a little bit bigger than it is. It is not small, but huge... that is a matter, that depends also from who it is asked. Robust and big tiger. But I think, that not at all so big as some think. IF that zoo is known, where it is kept, maybe there could be asked for information. If it would be world record tiger, they might advertise it and so on, I would if in my zoo would be something extraordinary.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-03-2019, 01:52 AM by Shadow )

(02-02-2019, 10:44 AM)genao87 Wrote: i dont think that ground is higher on the Tiger's end.  i believe the snow is making it look higher.   simple rules of projection just makes the ground look higher.  i dont think they would of made the ground higher when the ground looks even level to me.

I actually looked closer that how perspective/projection have effect and I take back a little bit what I said. I took some photos with an obstacle and one boot in front of it and one behind. Still I feel safe to say, that this tiger has more snow under feet than this woman and in those cases, when it is really close to fence it is 5-10 cm higher than that woman. That combined to projection, which "lifts" its shoulders in comparison with that woman is a difficult combination and creates easily an illusion even bigger animal, than it is.

Just for curiosity I tried again to get some estimation what it might be, my best guess/estimation is something around 110 cm shoulder height. If that woman really is 180 cm tall, I wonder where that information is from? If someone knows that, then maybe also could tell what zoo and tiger this is. It would be really nice to get more information, because I am curious how close my estimation is or is it at all. Maybe I have to find similar footage from some other animal, which is well know with measurements :)