There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Love is in the air...

Hip Scar and Othawa girl, credits to Rob the ranger.

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Singapore Skybed Offline

According to Rob the ranger, the othawa Pride is made up of the only surviving offsprings of the Mapogos.

I can't wait to see the product from the bloodline of these two powerful coalitions.

I believe there are only 3 Cubs at the moment. Anyone knows whether there are males cubs among them? And also why they are producing so little cubs when they are a coalition of four.
4 users Like Skybed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(07-25-2016, 02:28 PM)Skybed Wrote: According to Rob the ranger, the othawa Pride is made up of the only surviving offsprings of the Mapogos.
You need to add also the 4 lionesses of the Mhangeni pride. They are also Mapogo daughters.
Quote:I can't wait to see the product from the bloodline of these two powerful coalitions.
Well, you already have the 3 Mhangeni young males, plus six subadult females.

Quote:I believe there are only 3 Cubs at the moment. Anyone knows whether there are males cubs among them? 
I think they are two males and 1 female.
Quote:And also why they are producing so little cubs when they are a coalition of four.
I think it has to do with the prides they control now.
They have the Othawa pride, were the mother of the youngsters was killed by hyenas and the other females seem to be unfertile, one at least and the other one seems to lose the cubs, maybe she does get pregnant and has miscarriages.

And then the Mhangeni pride who has a lot of young cubs, but they live in the borders of the Majingilane territory, the part that borders with the Matimba males. 

So technically they do have young cubs, but they don't really have contact with the Mhangenis, at least not now.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Too full to eat: Majingilane. 

Hip Scar, He had killed a young buffalo on his own here, later he was joined by the tailless lioness and two sub adults from the Tsalala pride. Credits to Rob the Ranger.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Singapore Skybed Offline

Post #544

very insightful and detailed breakdown of the answers to my questions, thks @Majingilane :)

Looking at the pictures, the 3 Mhangeni young males looks capable of surviving on their own i believe. Really looking forward to what these boys got to offer.

And six sub adults females is a great boost to the pride. I always wondered why the sub adults females are also killed during takeovers because i thought in an evolution standpoint, keeping these females could not only keep the population up but also prevent inbreeding. Unless it is mother nature's way of keeping the population in check.
3 users Like Skybed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(07-27-2016, 12:17 PM)Skybed Wrote: very insightful and detailed breakdown of the answers to my questions

Thank you.

Quote:Looking at the pictures, the 3 Mhangeni young males looks capable of surviving on their own i believe. Really looking forward to what these boys got to offer.

They're still too young, and life for young nomadic males is not easy. Take the example of the 3 Talamati males, of which one is already missing. 

So it's a dangerous time for them, but if they manage to survive it and make it to the 4 1/2 age mark, then yes their chances go up a lot.

Quote:I always wondered why the sub adults females are also killed during takeovers because i thought in an evolution standpoint, keeping these females could not only keep the population up but also prevent inbreeding. Unless it is mother nature's way of keeping the population in check.

They are killed when they're still too young to mate. The males can't recognize them as future mates, so it's like the males only see the childs of rival males, not possible mates.

Then when the females start maturing a bit, they are safe because they can mate with the new males, in fact I think some of the subadult females of the Mangheni pride have been mating with the Matimba males. 

Lionesses have it so much easier than their brothers.

United States Chris M. Offline

(07-19-2016, 04:15 AM)Majingilane Wrote:
Quote:Thanks to the Mapogos who wipe out the other coalitions in the eastern sector; thus the 4 Majingilanes could have a good start after their take over. They got a huge territory from the Mapogos without much warfare. Imagine if they had to do the conquest by themselves then everything wouldn’t go that "smoothly"...
What other coalitions did the Mapogos wiped out? There were only 2 sick males, the Golf course males, 1 Rollercoaster male, 1 Sand river male, 2 Nkuhuma males, 2 Gijima males...

That was the only competition the six Mapogos had.

So what was the threat, really?

As anyone who has read enough pages of this forum, 4 young males looking to expand are much more than any 2 males coalition or lone lion can handle, so the Majingilane wouldn't have had much trouble wiping them out.

So the point really gets lost.

No, your info isn’t totally correct. The Mapogos had wiped out more than what you just mentioned; and not every coalition was small which had only 1 or 2 male lions as you said.

Besides, when I said the 4 Majingilanes had a smoother start after their take over due to the Mapogos already wipe out the other coalitions in the eastern sector earlier; whether you like it or not, this is fact. Then you mentioned something else with the Majingilanes which has nothing to do with the fact that I was talking about. Whether the 4 Majingilanes can do it by themselves or not as you claim but this won’t change the fact that they got a smoother start due to the reason that I just mentioned so I don’t see how my point really gets lost because as I said it before, fact is fact.
2 users Like Chris M.'s post

Singapore Skybed Offline

(07-28-2016, 01:27 PM)Chris M. Wrote: No, your info isn’t totally correct. The Mapogos had wiped out more than what you just mentioned; and not every coalition was small which had only 1 or 2 male lions as you said.

no disrespect mate, but it's better if you could back up your "facts" with the other coalitions that the Mapogos had wiped out rather than to pluck it out from thin air.

(07-28-2016, 01:27 PM)Chris M. Wrote: Besides, when I said the 4 Majingilanes had a smoother start after their take over due to the Mapogos already wipe out the other coalitions in the eastern sector earlier; whether you like it or not, this is fact. Then you mentioned something else with the Majingilanes which has nothing to do with the fact that I was talking about. Whether the 4 Majingilanes can do it by themselves or not as you claim but this won’t change the fact that they got a smoother start due to the reason that I just mentioned so I don’t see how my point really gets lost because as I said it before, fact is fact.

ok perhaps. It is also a fact that the Majingilianes have took over KT and Mr T's territories and has successfully defended the Mapogos attempt of regaining back the land that they have lost.
5 users Like Skybed's post

Singapore Skybed Offline

Regarding post #547

nice to learn that sub adults females are safe when they reach sexual maturity. Thanks for the info @Majingilane :)
3 users Like Skybed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote:No, your info isn’t totally correct. The Mapogos had wiped out more than what you just mentioned; and not every coalition was small which had only 1 or 2 male lions as you said.

Who? The "Northern males" mentioned in the Mapogo documentary? The same that are never showed, of which we know literally nothing?...

Quote:Besides, when I said the 4 Majingilanes had a smoother start after their take over due to the Mapogos already wipe out the other coalitions in the eastern sector earlier; whether you like it or not, this is fact.
Quote:Whether the 4 Majingilanes can do it by themselves or not as you claim but this won’t change the fact that they got a smoother start due to the reason that I just mentioned so I don’t see how my point really gets lost 

So we could say the same thing of every coalition. 

Everytime a coalition takes over a territory, it was "a smoother start" because the dominant males they defeated made things easier for them years before...
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

He was watching his brother to see that he wasn't coming any closer to the female he is with. Credits to Craig Parsons.

Dark Mane

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Scar Nose. He was with Dark Mane and Golden Mane. Credits to Idube Game Reserve.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Follow up of post #553: Credits to Craig Parsons.

This is the brother of the one I posted yesterday and he got up to go and smell the urine of the female that his brother's with.

Testing to see if a lioness is ready to mate.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Four Majingilanes with the Othawa pride. Credits to Idube Game Reserve

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-09-2016, 08:42 PM by Tshokwane )

The Mangheni young males were still enjoying their meal 

when they got chased away by a clan of 30 hyenas.

The hyenas, in turn, got chased away by the power house that are the fathers of the boys, the Majingilane males.

Pic credits to Promise Mashile.
6 users Like Tshokwane's post