There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

United States sundarbans Offline

I don't know whether it is because of the angle of the photos but Dark Mane looks like he has the least developed mane out of the 4 even though he was the oldest.

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(06-06-2018, 11:45 PM)sundarbans Wrote: I don't know whether it is because of the angle of the photos but Dark Mane looks like he has the least developed mane out of the 4 even though he was the oldest.

I'd say it's the angle, all of them had fairly underdeveloped manes, they were very young, but he and the 5th male had the bushier manes, Hip scar next.

United States swtlei4u Offline

(06-07-2018, 12:25 AM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 11:45 PM)sundarbans Wrote: I don't know whether it is because of the angle of the photos but Dark Mane looks like he has the least developed mane out of the 4 even though he was the oldest.

I'd say it's the angle, all of them had fairly underdeveloped manes, they were very young, but he and the 5th male had the bushier manes, Hip scar next.
DM has eyes that were very distinct like slanted at an angle like ron from the notch boys, I don't know why a lot of post were saying that HIP SCAR was the number 4 which only happened after he hurt his hip n could no longer keep up as w/ his bros! if you look at kinky tail video its hip scar that has kinky tail by head. when they first arrived in sabi sands HS was NR2 behind DM. GM was the youngest and was always the bros outside looking in. but no matter the case they were the only coalition that seemed to know that they were stronger together!! something the Birmingham boys hasn't realized!
1 user Likes swtlei4u's post

United States sundarbans Offline

A lot of people seem to say it was Hipscar that broke Kinky Tail's back but to me it seemed impossible to identify any of them amidst all the action, dust, and darkness.
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

United Kingdom Leroy Offline

(06-07-2018, 01:36 AM)swtlei4u Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 12:25 AM)Tshokwane Wrote:

DM has eyes that were very distinct like slanted at an angle like ron from the notch boys, I don't know why a lot of post were saying that HIP SCAR was the number 4 which only happened after he hurt his hip n could no longer keep up as w/ his bros! if you look at kinky tail video its hip scar that has kinky tail by head. when they first arrived in sabi sands HS was NR2 behind DM. GM was the youngest and was always the bros outside looking in. but no matter the case they were the only coalition that seemed to know that they were stronger together!! something the Birmingham boys hasn't realized!

I've heard that too.  HS was higher up the pecking order in his earlier years which makes sense.  He's a big powerful lion and was at the forefront of the scrap with sand river males and with the mapogos.  Reports I have read speculate that he was number 2 at one point behind DM as you say and then ended up at the bottom.  The hip injury would definetely have impacted this (not being able to patrol as much etc) Based on the limited information we have from blogs, YT and social media, I always saw the majings as:

5th majing - Don't know much about him, was apparently the most dominant until he got over confident
DM - The ruler.  Top shagger.  The bro that steals all the women.  Loyal and a vital foot soldier.  One of the most active when it came to territorial patrols.  Very big and dominant lion.
HS - Strong, powerful and aggressive fighter.  Was more dominant at one point but in the later years he seemed to spend a lot of time with the cubs and play the nice uncle to what was probably DM's cubs....maybe he resigned to the fact that his hip was busted
SN- loyal footsoldier.  Patroller.  Aggressive and DM's right hand man.  SN was the glue that held DM to the others.
GM- don't know as much about him.  He was younger but apparently ended up higher up the pecking order by the time they all got old? got the impression he was aloof and ruthless when it came to cubs and rival male offspring / sub adults

What's everyone else's thoughts?
1 user Likes Leroy's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

This is a video from 2011, by SafariLive.

There's a moment at 2:20 and onwards where the four walk next to the car and I think we can see there how it must have been in those early days of their reign.

Dark mane and Hip scar on he front, Golden mane waits and lets them pass in fron of him and Scar nose on the back.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States swtlei4u Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-07-2018, 09:16 PM by swtlei4u )

(06-07-2018, 08:50 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: This is a video from 2011, by SafariLive.

There's a moment at 2:20 and onwards where the four walk next to the car and I think we can see there how it must have been in those early days of their reign.

Dark mane and Hip scar on he front, Golden mane waits and lets them pass in fron of him and Scar nose on the back.

HS and DM was the males that was very tolerant of the cubs but SN was the biggest of the 4, HS seemed to have been attached to the tsalala pride. Their was a londoliza blog posted that when the 3 males attacked one the tsalala cubs in 2012 well after they had taken over the pride HS didn't join in and went the other way and did not participate in the killing. Also according to londoliza it was the majingalane males that killed BB the original tailless lioness and not the Magheni lioness's liked everyone assumed.
1 user Likes swtlei4u's post

United Kingdom Leroy Offline

@Tshokwane very telling. Good video. Gm definitely letting them past. A lot of commentary suggests hs was higher in the pecking order back then. Was a sad day when he was found dead.
2 users Like Leroy's post

France Silver60 Offline

The most interesting is that all reports are unanimous, DM was the undisputed boss. It is unusual because there are some challenges in all other coalitions and the ranking evolves with time. But DM was the boss from the first day until his last  breath. Like him or not but he was the greatest king of Sabi Sands.
2 users Like Silver60's post

Musa15 Offline

(06-10-2018, 02:29 AM)Silver60 Wrote: The most interesting is that all reports are unanimous, DM was the undisputed boss. It is unusual because there are some challenges in all other coalitions and the ranking evolves with time. But DM was the boss from the first day until his last  breath. Like him or not but he was the greatest king of Sabi Sands.

I agree. If only we could have gotten closure on DM like we did for HS and SN.
1 user Likes Musa15's post

France Silver60 Offline

I quote someone else : "he lived as a King and died like a nobody"

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

Majingilanes 2005-2018 +
6 users Like T Rabbit's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to David Blumberg.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Musa15 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-27-2018, 11:39 PM by Musa15 )

The reason they've always been my favorite(and I'm a fan of many coalitions) is because they weren't the biggest or strongest Lions we've seen, they weren't the biggest coalition in terms of numbers, but they were still the most successful Lions we've seen because they did everything right that mattered: they used their smarts to dominate. They ruled the territories they set their eyes upon, they knew how to pick their battles which is why they won every major battle and overcame some of the most devastating Lion coalitions we've seen and they successfully sired a lot of offspring. To do what they did for 8 long years and in the end all 4 of them dying of old age is like Michael Jordan capping off his Bulls career with the game-winning jumpshot in the finals of 98. A perfect legacy.

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Musa15's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(06-27-2018, 03:25 AM)Musa15 Wrote: The reason they've always been my favorite(and I'm a fan of many coalitions) is because they weren't the biggest or strongest Lions we've seen, they weren't the biggest coalition in terms of numbers, but they were still the most successful Lions we've seen because they did everything right that mattered: they used their smarts to dominate. They ruled the territories they set their eyes upon, they knew how to pick their battles which is why they won every major battle and overcame some of the most devastating Lion coalitions we've seen and they successfully sired a lot of offspring. To do what they did for 8 long years and in the end all 4 of them dying of old age is like Michael Jordan capping off his Bulls career with the game-winning jumpshot in the finals of 98. A perfect legacy.

*This image is copyright of its original author

It would be very interesting to see if their behavior is also demonstrated by their offspring either as learned or as a genetic trait. Are their any anecdotes from their male off-spring to indicate if they behave in a manner similar to their fathers?