There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

United States Fredymrt Offline

Credits Ingridg travels
Pictures were taken at inyati on Sep 7, 2017

3-Tooth
*This image is copyright of its original author

Dark mane

Scar nose

3 users Like Fredymrt's post

Canada stronghold Offline

Glad that the Mantimahle head back north, eventhough they are probably the best candidate to dominate that area with all the kambula mating going on and potential imbreeding. Good for the Majingis, they bought more time for the 2nd Generation Mhangeni to become independent. I love the Majingilanes especially DM.After H.S. passing I realize its nature eventhough they are in good shape for their age they cant avoid the inevitable. But not yet.
3 users Like stronghold's post

Throwback Thursday

Photo credit: Nick du plessis

Dark Mane
At eye levell Was lucky enough to get this image awhile ago when this large male lion walked straight down the airstrip towards us at MalaMala Game Reserve
5 users Like Fredymrt's post

From Londolozi http://blog.londolozi.com/2017/09/14/an-epic-standoff-between-lions-and-buffalo/

An Epic Standoff Between Lions And Buffalo

Credits to : Shaun D'Araujo
September 14, 2017

For as long as they have coexisted on earth, there has been conflict between lions and buffalo. For a pride of lions, a buffalo could provide them with food for a few days, depending on how many lions there are. However, when lions do catch buffalo, it is not a case of the pride selecting which buffalo they’d prefer and going out and getting it. There is a lot of risk involved. Although interactions between lions and buffalo can go one of two ways, what the sighting we witnessed a few days ago reminded me of is that we can never predict what is going to happen
Adult buffalos have a large set of horns and can weigh between 500 – 800 kg  – a formidable adversary. As a result, it becomes a game of nerves, and those who back down, lose.

Earlier that morning, the six Ntsevu lionesses, together with a single Majingilane male were found in the southern parts of Londolozi. They had been moving through the thickets for most of the morning and just as it seemed that they were about to settle, one of the lioness’s ears perked up and she began staring into the distance. Noticing the change in her body language, all of the other lions stared in the same direction. Bellows in the distance, followed by a cloud of dust and associated calls of oxpeckers indicated that a herd of buffalo was approaching a nearby waterhole. The lions immediately got up and began to stalk.
Catching the scent of the lions, the buffalo broke and ran, and the lions manage to single out one of the young cows.
They chased her to the edge of the water. She had nowhere to go.

All six lionesses were circling around her, trying to avoid the horns the buffalo was bravely attempting to defend herself with. Then, in an instant, the large male lion lunged up onto her throat, twisting his body around and going over onto his back to do so. The immense power of the male and the additional lionesses joining in as well were too much for the buffalo and it eventually succumbed to the lions. In just a few minutes, it was over – at least for the morning
Here, the Nsevu pride tries to anchor the buffalo by biting it on the spine, allowing the male lion to get a grip on the buffalos throat.

As soon as he got a good enough grip, the male spun around and began to suffocated the buffalo until it succumbed to the lack of oxygen.

Later that afternoon, we returned to the scene. The male and one of the lionesses were lying next to the buffalo carcass with their backs to the waters edge. The remaining five lionesses were resting nearby. The lioness closest to the carcass looked up as a different herd of about 80 buffalo approached the waterhole. The buffalo had their heads held high, smelling the lions. The whole herd grouped tightly together and edged closer toward the tawny cats. Right on the water’s edge and unable to retreat, the two lions crouched down and began to growl at the herd of buffalo. At one point the noses of the male lion and that of a large buffalo could not have been more than two meters apart, separated only by the carcass of the dead buffalo from before. Each time the male lion would growl, he would flick his tail through the water, splashing droplets onto his back. The rest of the pride tried to rejoin the male and the single lioness, but were greeted by several enraged buffalos which chased them up a large termite mound.

The stand off took place over a period of about an hour, with neither the lions or the buffalo willing to move off. As darkness began to set in, the herd slowly began to turn around and disappear back into the bush, and eventually they had all disappeared. This was one of the most incredible things I have ever witnessed while being out here and is probably something I will never see again.
7 users Like Fredymrt's post

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2017, 11:03 AM by HouseOfLions )

(09-13-2017, 09:20 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: I think the majingilanes will stay together and try to explore some weakness over mantimahles like some split. Maybe if they fight, majingis could be stronger in the union and the mantimahles just fall back or lost someone. But if mantimahles would be well united too in the combat they have advantage as they have the numbers and age on their sides. 
  But majingis are more experience than mantis. Mantimahles are not younger lions. They kill and conquer already but they not faced nothing like majingis faced to build their kingdom. I mean strong adult coalitions like mapogos and selatis.

I think this is wishful thinking. The mantimahle are rarely ever separated, especially if they come to the sabi. They come as 4 and they leave as 4. It is the manginjis that are actually divided, like in the case with SN and his brothers.

In a 4 vs 3, the manginjis lose. In a 3 vs 3, the manginjis lose. Even in a 2(mantimahle) vs 3(manginjis), the favor is towards the mantimahle. And facing strong coalitions in a 1 vs 4 means nothing. This won't be a1 vs 3 or a 2 vs 3, it would be a 4 vs 3, in favour of the mantimahle.

TBH, there is no conceivable way for the manginjis to win if a fight did occur, except for a 1 vs 3 which is very far-fetched as the mantimahle are rarely ever alone when they come to the sabi.
1 user Likes HouseOfLions's post

Japan chuck Offline

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYCR0Gylw3m/?taken-by=janepearce.Africa

Hipscar looking old and weary.

"This was a very special wildlife encounter with the four legendary and once invincible Majingilane Brother Lions at Sabi Sands in the last light of day. Dark Mane and Scar Nose the two dominant males were feasting on a buffalo they had brought down. Golden Mane was on amorous repeat with a willing lady lion and didn't have food on his mind. Hip Scar looking rather old and weary had limped off into the night right past our safari vehicle I managed to get this last photo before the light finally defeated me"
2 users Like chuck's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

One of the Othawa females walking towards some shade with one of the Majingilane males. It is getting warmer by the day and the animals are looking for shade to escape the heat.
Credits: LeopardHills PGR

4 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Canada stronghold Offline

I guess the moderators didn't like my post. I only said what we all saw its all caught on camera and the people on the documentary even said Big Mac and PB left Mr. T. I didn't even mentioned what happened at elephant plains, because no one saw what really happened.
1 user Likes stronghold's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(09-16-2017, 04:58 AM)stronghold Wrote: I guess the moderators didn't like my post.

It isn't about liking or not, because it wasn't false.

But it's calling for conflict, it's a provocation, and I'm trying to avoid such things. So, if I delete his comments when he brings up subjects already discussed, then it's only fair I do the same when someone else does it.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

3-Tooth
Every scar has a story to tell!
Majingilane Male lion
Mala Mala 2010
4 users Like Fredymrt's post

Scar Nose in search of his brothers
Photo Credit: rangerstu24
September 16, 2017
5 users Like Fredymrt's post

lioncrazy Offline

Did he find his brothers?

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Dulini Private Game Reserve.

An amazing video capturing the first moments after the Othawa Lion Pride successfully hunts a Warthog.

However, Golden Mane of the Majingilane Male Lions seeks to benefit from their efforts.

A big thank you to our guests, Martin and Jen, for sharing their video with us!

Click on it to play.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

( This post was last modified: 09-18-2017, 11:52 AM by Fredymrt )

Photo courtesy Of astismith
Sep 2017

Dark Mane

can't find the words to describe the feeling of a male lion running in your direction at full speed.. Here, a Majingilane male was chasing a lioness who had just robbed a leopard of a duiker kill. #iamnikonsa
3 users Like Fredymrt's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Fredymrt :

About #1545: remarkable to look to be so perky for a veteran male lion ! The Majingilane are not over...
4 users Like Spalea's post