There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Chris Renshaw.

With the slow demise of one the most successful coalitions of male lion in the Sabi Sand game reserve, I thought I'd share a pic of the Black Maned Majingalane in his prime, as well as an epic story of a sighting from awhile back.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Chris Renshaw, Safari Architects.

The Munghen pride and Majingalane coalition drama:

Whilst guiding at Singita Sabi Sands, Chris and his guests came upon a scene that can only be described by three words: Power, Dominance and Intensity. The dominate Majingalane male lion coalition had bumped into their lionesses and cubs, the Munghen pride, who had killed an impala. Being the dominant male lions, they executed their right to the spoils… Well, the females had something to say about this and the below images explain what happened.

The females see the males approaching and stand to attention. You can see the blood and remains of the carcass on their faces.

The females move to greet their males to show respect and submission, in the hope of retaining their meal.

The males approach in a dominate pose, heads up and roaring. Claiming this scene and taking ownership of the carcass.

A female rubs a male, to re-affirm scent and try to calm and placate the male.

The tension in the air is palpable and as the males move towards the carcass, all hell breaks loose and a fight erupts. The males chase after the females to claim the meal. With menacing intent in their eyes and roars bellowing, breaking the early morning peace and quiet, the males move up and down and claim what is their right.

For a moment everything calms down and the males feed on what remains of the unlucky impala. The juvenile lions are now curious of their powerful fathers and begin moving towards them to try and get a piece of the meal. At the same time, the lionesses are not so easily distracted from their hard earned meal and proceed to muster up some courage.

This is not a good idea… In a flash, an almighty roar and explosion of power erupts. The male takes out his wrath on one of his sons and puts him his place with few well placed blows of his mighty paws and biting jaws.

In complete submission, the cub rolls on his back and accepts what punishment is about be dealt out. Instinct drives this behaviour and one day when he is big and strong, he will do the same. The cub learnt valuable lessons from the this brutal exchange.

We watched this exchange with wide eyes and adrenaline filled wonder. What an incredible display of power and dominance. It took a while for all of us to calm down and digest what we had just witnessed. The intensity of the exchange is a paradox of what we usually associate lion sightings with. From sleeping beauties to rage-filled warriors. This is why I love lions, they epitomise everything that is the African bush. Peaceful beauty, wonder and splendour that in an instant can become brutally intense with awe inspiring power.
7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

@Leroy 

For now, I'm putting that on hold. I don't want people to be mislead for a statement like that until there's proper confirmation by Londolozi or any of their rangers.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Leroy Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2018, 02:20 PM by Leroy )

(05-07-2018, 04:50 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: @Leroy 

For now, I'm putting that on hold. I don't want people to be mislead for a statement like that until there's proper confirmation by Londolozi or any of their rangers.

Bit harsh.  Only giving people a heads up.  Got a facebook message from ranger out on game drive.  Not all of them blog, mentioned this when discussing SN death. I guess I was one day sooner than an "official statement". Dark Mane is dead.  Check out this quote from londo blog today:

"Now, with the Majingilane coalition entirely deceased, the whole western section of the Sabi Sand Reserve is up for grabs, with mating rights to the Othawa and possibly Mhangeni females at stake (and possibly the breakaway sub-adult Mhangeni lionesses, depending on their future), and the Matimba males, in yet another opportunistic move, have been seen roaring and scent marking, proclaiming the territory as theirs."

"Eastern and north Londolozi were left vacant when that amazing coalition (tribute to them coming soon)"
2 users Like Leroy's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(05-08-2018, 02:12 PM)Leroy Wrote: Not all of them blog, mentioned this when discussing SN death.

And you were wrong, weren't you? Because the story that Scar nose had been killed by the Birmingham males ended up being a lie, according to the report Singita made.

So, harsh as it may seem, I don't want stories or rumors to be the source of the info we post. 

Especially not when those rumors are started by known trolls and fanatics, because I did saw who was the one that was promoting this story over facebook.

If this really happened, then we're going to hear it from Londolozi themselves shortly, then I'll gladly post it. But not before that.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Leroy Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2018, 05:56 PM by Leroy )

(05-07-2018, 04:50 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: @Leroy 

(05-08-2018, 05:04 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 02:12 PM)Leroy Wrote: Not all of them blog, mentioned this when discussing SN death.

And you were wrong, weren't you? Because the story that Scar nose had been killed by the Birmingham males ended up being a lie, according to the report Singita made.

So, harsh as it may seem, I don't want stories or rumors to be the source of the info we post. 

Especially not when those rumors are started by known trolls and fanatics, because I did saw who was the one that was promoting this story over facebook.

If this really happened, then we're going to hear it from Londolozi themselves shortly, then I'll gladly post it. But not before that.

Wrt to scar nose, never said he was killed by them. I said his cause of death was not confirmed as didn't get confirmation whether he got killed outright, or was wounded and died of natural causes. Sometimes, it's almost impossible to get closure because nature works fast to cleanse. It wouldn't be me that is wrong, as it's not my personal opinion, I'm merely passing on info.

Can understand though, some crazy trolls and fanatics out there. Especially the mapogo guys. Psychotic. 

Managed to get replies from Rob the ranger on YouTube speaking to him about selatis and I asked him about dark mane, he says "I'm pretty sure they are all dead but haven't heard of anyone finding dark mane body so far"  getting told conflicting info. But yeah, let's see what comes out in the wash. I would love it if hairy belly and dm had a fight to the death lol

United States Sooper Offline
New Join

You said he was killed by the Birmingham males in post #2000.  Then became combative with anyone who questioned it.  Now you are denying ever saying it.  

It’s ok. Not everyone has to be a lion expert who breaks all the news.  The truth comes out eventually.
7 users Like Sooper's post

Musa15 Offline

(05-08-2018, 11:14 PM)Sooper Wrote: You said he was killed by the Birmingham males in post #2000.  Then became combative with anyone who questioned it.  Now you are denying ever saying it.  

It’s ok. Not everyone has to be a lion expert who breaks all the news.  The truth comes out eventually.

I regret ever believing or taking those statements seriously at the time. But I guess as emotions were involved in this particular situation(as well as a desire for closure since GM's disappearance) unfounded claims were more readily accepted than usual.
2 users Like Musa15's post

Canada stronghold Offline

DM is most likely dead. But I rather wait for confirmation. I remember someone mentioned one of the Southern Matimba have died after being attack by the 3 Avocas. Look at where are the Matimbas now. They are alive and now mating with the Othawas
3 users Like stronghold's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

dm very probably died from starvation and old age some days after scar nose. But like golden mane and rasta his body could not be never found to prove it. Rip majingilanes.
1 user Likes T Rabbit's post

Abomai Offline

(05-09-2018, 02:31 AM)stronghold Wrote: DM is most likely dead. But I rather wait for confirmation. I remember someone mentioned one of the Southern Matimba have died after being attack by the 3 Avocas. Look at where are the Matimbas now. They are alive and now mating with the Othawas

At least in that post I was careful enough to say it was a facebook rumor.
1 user Likes Abomai's post

Canada stronghold Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-09-2018, 05:33 AM by stronghold )

Sir I apologize if I offended you. Its not an attack on you.
1 user Likes stronghold's post

Abomai Offline

(05-09-2018, 05:32 AM)stronghold Wrote: Sir I apologize if I offended you. Its not an attack on you.

No need to apologize. I'm with you on this. I much prefer to wait for confirmation.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Its okay guys, sometime shits happens. With everyone. We all do mistakes in excitements, if someone realizes it, then move on.
We are here to share and discuss, not fighting, don't make another youtube/facebook comment section. We should maintain the credibility, reliability and integrity of WildFact
5 users Like sanjay's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(05-09-2018, 11:14 AM)Leroy Wrote: Here we go.  Sarcasm and cockiness wrapped up in one post.  "the truth" basically saying my source is a liar.  Just passing on news I received from a contact.  You are a grown adult, you decide what you want to believe in, but it's not wise or professional to disrespect people's livelihoods and their accounts of stories when they rely on just as much second hand information as a demigod who writes a blog for armchair sherlock holmes detectives like you to criticise.  I'd be a little more respectful if I were you and appreciate conditions on the ground for some of these rangers.

Don't get all salty now that he called you out. 

You backtracking with the "I never said they killed him" is what led to his post, he wasn't complaining about "the source", merely your reaction to my not believing it, and holding back that notion here on Wildfact.

I remember perfectly your words, not only here but also on other social media. 

Now move on with this, and next time you double check the info and cross it with other reports, before making statements. It's what everyones, including me, strives to do here.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post