There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Jane Pearce.

RIP Scar Nose Majingilane – April 2018 – one of the Awesome Foursome brother lions of Sabi Sands – he died last week when his brave battle worn old body got the better of him. An end of an era at Sabi Sands. Scar Nose, Black Mane, Golden Mane and Hip Scar were the dominant males in a reign that lasted 8 years. They had bested the mighty Mapopo brother lion coalition before them in an epic struggle of dominance – (Documentary Brothers in Blood – Lions of Sabi Sands)

I was lucky enough to see this indomitable foursome before old age overtook them. They were still effortlessly taking down buffalo and spreading their genetic material, but their best days would soon be behind them There was a new coalition waiting in the wings the Birmingham Males - For the Majingilane Males it was a life well lived

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Leroy Offline

No news on dark mane anybody? Homeboy gotta be dead.
1 user Likes Leroy's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

No news so far.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(04-19-2018, 01:54 AM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Jane Pearce.

RIP Scar Nose Majingilane – April 2018 – one of the Awesome Foursome brother lions of Sabi Sands – he died last week when his brave battle worn old body got the better of him. An end of an era at Sabi Sands. Scar Nose, Black Mane, Golden Mane and Hip Scar were the dominant males in a reign that lasted 8 years. They had bested the mighty Mapopo brother lion coalition before them in an epic struggle of dominance – (Documentary Brothers in Blood – Lions of Sabi Sands)

I was lucky enough to see this indomitable foursome before old age overtook them. They were still effortlessly taking down buffalo and spreading their genetic material, but their best days would soon be behind them There was a new coalition waiting in the wings the Birmingham Males - For the Majingilane Males it was a life well lived

No! Another one gone...
1 user Likes Polar's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Rob the Ranger.

Looking back at the Majingilane male lions a few months ago knowing that they are gone now, you can see the signs that they were worn out and the decline was not as rapid as it seemed. More surprising was the rapid decline of the Mangheni lion pride, here they are a super strong unit, now they are in disarray.

Dark mane and Golden mane.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Musa15 Offline

I am trying to find a high resolution photo of all 4 males in one shot to frame it. This one is nice but a bigger version would be better. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Thanks for anyone who could share and help out.
4 users Like Musa15's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-21-2018, 01:28 AM)Musa15 Wrote: I am trying to find a high resolution photo of all 4 males in one shot to frame it. This one is nice but a bigger version would be better. 

10 users Like Tshokwane's post

Canada stronghold Offline

One of the best coalitions in sabi sands. RIP Kings
2 users Like stronghold's post

Musa15 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-21-2018, 04:37 PM by Musa15 )

Thank you Tshokwane those are some great shots. I'm gonna have to choose which one is gonna go on my wall.

I think this one may represent the Majingilane best, if I identified them correctly. DM the leader leading the front, staring right into the camera. With GM and SN closeby as the inseperable trio, with HS the somewhat follower/outsider being the strong back-up. i hope I have that right.
1 user Likes Musa15's post

jordi6927 Offline

I have a couple of questions ... first, exactly what was wrong with Hip Scars' leg? second, does anyone have a pic of the 5th Majingilane ... the one that KT and Mr T killed? Thanks!
1 user Likes jordi6927's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-21-2018, 05:35 PM by Tshokwane )

(04-21-2018, 03:08 PM)Musa15 Wrote: I think this one may represent the Majingilane best, if I identified them correctly. DM the leader leading the front, staring right into the camera. With GM and SN closeby as the inseperable trio, with HS the somewhat follower/outsider being the strong back-up. i hope I have that right.

Sounds about right. 

Personally, I don't think there's any question that Dark mane was the dominant male. As for the second place, I always was of the mind that it was Hip scar, for some years at least until Golden mane grew older and established himself as second behind DM. maybe Hip scar's injury had to do with this, simply weakening him and now he couldn't enforce himself on his brothers.

Londolozi always speaks about the closeness between Dark mane and Scar nose, and to be fair I never noticed it, or maybe didn't pay enough attention to it, but I do think Scar nose, despite being the largest physically, he was at the bottom of the hierarchy or, at the very least, 3rd when Hip scar wasn't that strong anymore.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-21-2018, 03:32 PM)jordi6927 Wrote: first, exactly what was wrong with Hip Scars' leg?

No one witnessed the exact moment where it happened, at least not that I'm aware, but apparently he hurt himself in a hunt, most likely. Running at high speeds when trying to catch prey, it's fairly easy that maybe he misjudged the distance with the ground or maybe he stepped on a hole in the ground. 

Some say he hurt himself in this instance, dated August 2013, but I think it's BS, it wasn't that hard of a fall.

Whatever the case was, he clearly hurt himself and maybe pulled something on that leg, I don't know if it was dislocated, I don't think so, but it weakened him. It's important to note that his injury is a common one among lions, which is why I'm more inclined to believe it was a hunting injury.

(04-21-2018, 03:32 PM)jordi6927 Wrote: second, does anyone have a pic of the 5th Majingilane ... the one that KT and Mr T killed?

Yes, I do have some pics of him.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

5th Majingilanes looks mean, he did put a good fight against KT and Mr.T
3 users Like stronghold's post

Musa15 Offline

I can see the resemblance with his bros. One must wonder what could have been if he stayed alive and was part of the coalition for those 7/8 years, perhaps an even larger area would have been dominated by them.

But on the other hand one could argue that his demise was instrumental in the Majingilane victory over the mighty Mapogos, as I've heard some theorize that he inflicted some injuries on KT and Mr. T which might have caused them to seperate from eachother after they killed him and looked for the other intruders. Long enough for KT to be alone and get destroyed by the 4 Majingilane and Mr. T arrived too late.

So his death may been the sacrifice that his brothers needed to become the longest reigning coalition ever in the Sabi Sands.
4 users Like Musa15's post

I agree the 5th Majingilanes death was really instrumental for the Majingilanes. The way they killed KT was really brutal. One of the most brutal if not the most brutal that was caught on camera.
3 users Like stronghold's post