There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

United States tsunarto Offline

Which coalitions now will be competing for Majingilanes' territories ? and does anyone have updates on the surviving members ?

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(04-13-2018, 10:24 PM)tsunarto Wrote: Which coalitions now will be competing for Majingilanes' territories ? and does anyone have updates on the surviving members ?

Nobody is competing for now. Territory is empty, whoever claim will be theirs for now.
Only one surviving member, last seen 4-5 days ago.
1 user Likes vinodkumarn's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

If the three avocas or the tsalala boys sneak under the noses of the birminghams, they have a shot at it. But if the ever more confident birminghams come barreling in, there won't be many places to run to. I see that territory staying vacant until the birminghams come in and then the three avocas or a new coalition taking the north east. The tsalalas will probably end up leaving the sabi sands just like all other majingilane fathered coalitions.
2 users Like sik94's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(04-13-2018, 11:38 PM)sik94 Wrote: If the three avocas or the tsalala boys sneak under the noses of the birminghams, they have a shot at it. But if the ever more confident birminghams come barreling in, there won't be many places to run to. I see that territory staying vacant until the birminghams come in and then the three avocas or a new coalition taking the north east. The tsalalas will probably end up leaving the sabi sands just like all other majingilane fathered coalitions.

BBoys were in Singita yesterday. Mhangenis are the reason. I fear for Othawas, as one of the females just have cubs. 
3 Avocas/ New Coalition from Manyaleti/Ngala/Timbavati may come to Northern Sabi sands. (Just like how BBoys came)
Tsalalas may compete with Avocas or they can become dominant over Southern pride.. There is a chance that they may stay in sabi sands..
2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

United Kingdom Leroy Offline

Tshokowane,

Not everything has to be published. Some rangers don't give shit and see a lion as just another dead animal in the Bush. It's not their God given right to get back to their camp and publish a blog for lion die hards to bait over to "prove what happened"

I have been to sabi and know one of the rangers. He sent me the photo and told me that a ranger from singita personally watched the fight. Not sure how much more conclusive you can be. Maybe the guy who watched it didn't see it as a big deal and moved on. Who knows. But scar nose got killed by Birminghams while doing a regular territorial patrol.

Asked him to keep me abreast of dark mane. Haven't heard anything and nobody has seen him except from that safari cam on 9th of April I believe.
1 user Likes Leroy's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(04-13-2018, 06:10 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Francois Fourie.

A few days before his last what an incredible reign this male had RIP Majingelane end of an era.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Lions are expressive animals...
But about this "haunted stare", perhaps the animals, and the human being, feel the unspeakable: the end of a terrestrial adventure and the "passage to something else". Perhaps some distant memories are coming to mind as well as "the jump into the unknown" sensation. More or less an ultimate questioning or a last dismay. In short, something that we don't share.
3 users Like Spalea's post

United Kingdom Leroy Offline

Tough b*stards these lions.  If anyone has heard anything about dark mane, please post.  Chances are he's dead but you never know....Remember it wasn't too long ago when I was in Lion Sands.  Could actually reach out and touch charleston male's nose if I wanted to, obviously I didn't but the size and power of those guys.  Looked me right in the soul and roared for his lionesses.  Felt so inadequate being fed alcohol and biltong while these 2 male lions wander around fighting and working for their food.  All I do is pay the price, turn up in a protective jeep and get protected by the ranger's gun.  Shows how far we have regressed.  You wouldn't last two seconds against those things unless you somehow bluffed it and outsmarted it to pretend you are a bigger threat than you actually are.  Lions cut through humans like butter.  God damn, I miss the bush.
2 users Like Leroy's post

Musa15 Offline

Well I must say that I have only been here a few months but I really appriciate to be around a crowd who actually understands nature and how wild animals operate.

It seems like every other medium(especially youtube) I go to for the subject of Lions coalitions, namely about the Mapogo and Majingilane, you will find crowds who anthropomorphise these amazing animals and come up with disgusting, disrespectful statements that show their lack of intelligence and class. Where do they come from and how come they've been clinging on to the once hidden gem of National Park blogs?

How one could favor one coalition over the other as if they're rooting for their favorite sports team is something I can't understand. It's embarrassing. With every passing of the Majingilane legends there are actually low lives who root for this and are glad, as if it's wait they've been waiting for for years because of what happened to the Mapogos. The Birmingham boys have recently killed my dear declining Scar Nose, does this make me resentful against them? No, they do what nature has intended them to do and I will be following these boys now and in the future.

Both coalitions(Mapogo/Majingilane) IMO are the most amazing Lions we have witnessed so far as they've shown such diverse and unique behaviors. They were both so different from one another and changed the way even experts perceive male lions. I just wish that they're not taken for granted and that their stories don't fall into the wrong hands, so to speak.
4 users Like Musa15's post

United States Stargaryen4 Offline
New Join

(04-14-2018, 10:09 PM)Musa15 Wrote: Well I must say that I have only been here a few months but I really appriciate to be around a crowd who actually understands nature and how wild animals operate.

It seems like every other medium(especially youtube) I go to for the subject of Lions coalitions, namely about the Mapogo and Majingilane, you will find crowds who anthropomorphise these amazing animals and come up with disgusting, disrespectful statements that show their lack of intelligence and class. Where do they come from and how come they've been clinging on to the once hidden gem of National Park blogs?

How one could favor one coalition over the other as if they're rooting for their favorite sports team is something I can't understand. It's embarrassing. With every passing of the Majingilane legends there are actually low lives who root for this and are glad, as if it's wait they've been waiting for for years because of what happened to the Mapogos. The Birmingham boys have recently killed my dear declining Scar Nose, does this make me resentful against them? No, they do what nature has intended them to do and I will be following these boys now and in the future.

Both coalitions(Mapogo/Majingilane) IMO are the most amazing Lions we have witnessed so far as they've shown such diverse and unique behaviors. They were both so different from one another and changed the way even experts perceive male lions. I just wish that they're not taken for granted and that their stories don't fall into the wrong hands, so to speak.

Well said..

I love lions, all lions. Regardless if that's the Mapogos, Majingilanes, Selatis, BBoys, Matimbas. While I might have a coalition that I like the most, I'm not gonna harbor any ill will if something happens at the hands of another group. That's just what happens in wild.
It's disgusting when you find a video on Youtube about male lions (mainly Majingilane and Selati) and the first comment you see is someone bashing the lions for merely being lions.

Always gets under my skin when people bring human emotions into lion society. Like for example, the "Majingilane have no honor because they only fight when they have the advantage." Or "The Selatis are couldn't beat the Mapogos fair so they gang up on Mr. T." 
A lion's life, especially the male lion, is not about honor or respect or any other human emotion we want to attach to it, it's about life and death. You could bet if I was a lion, I would take a fight with two of my coalition partners and I versus a lone male anyday of the week. 

I must admit though, it has been especially hard the last week watching/reading the updates on the Majingilanes. More so since they seemed to be doing so well for their age not even a few months ago. 
Sadly it seems that comes with the territory. A lions life is hard, and the fact that these guys made to where they've been, and held onto it so long is truly a testament to their power/intelligence/heart.

It's bittersweet in a sense. Hearing about the death of a Majingilane breaks my heart, but I'm also filled with happiness in the fact that they have lived a very good life. Especially for male lions in the wild, where not many get a chance. They've held a lot of land, fathered a lot of cubs. They certainly won't be forgotten by humans, and with their success as a group, it ensures their bloodline won't be forgotten either.

This is my first post here, although I have been a member and a lurker for awhile. 
It's so hard to pin down the words to say, and I apologize if I have rambled on in this post. 

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest..
6 users Like Stargaryen4's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Musa15 and @Stargaryen4 Well said.. You guys have more mature and open perspective...
And our mission is same here on WildFact... A happy coalition of human who loves lion and animals above hatred .. With the support of guys like you, I am sure we will succeeded here
3 users Like sanjay's post

Musa15 Offline

(04-14-2018, 11:54 PM)Stargaryen4 Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 10:09 PM)Musa15 Wrote: Well I must say that I have only been here a few months but I really appriciate to be around a crowd who actually understands nature and how wild animals operate.

Well said..

I love lions, all lions. Regardless if that's the Mapogos, Majingilanes, Selatis, BBoys, Matimbas. While I might have a coalition that I like the most, I'm not gonna harbor any ill will if something happens at the hands of another group. That's just what happens in wild.
It's disgusting when you find a video on Youtube about male lions (mainly Majingilane and Selati) and the first comment you see is someone bashing the lions for merely being lions.

Always gets under my skin when people bring human emotions into lion society. Like for example, the "Majingilane have no honor because they only fight when they have the advantage." Or "The Selatis are couldn't beat the Mapogos fair so they gang up on Mr. T." 
A lion's life, especially the male lion, is not about honor or respect or any other human emotion we want to attach to it, it's about life and death. You could bet if I was a lion, I would take a fight with two of my coalition partners and I versus a lone male anyday of the week. 

I must admit though, it has been especially hard the last week watching/reading the updates on the Majingilanes. More so since they seemed to be doing so well for their age not even a few months ago. 
Sadly it seems that comes with the territory. A lions life is hard, and the fact that these guys made to where they've been, and held onto it so long is truly a testament to their power/intelligence/heart.

It's bittersweet in a sense. Hearing about the death of a Majingilane breaks my heart, but I'm also filled with happiness in the fact that they have lived a very good life. Especially for male lions in the wild, where not many get a chance. They've held a lot of land, fathered a lot of cubs. They certainly won't be forgotten by humans, and with their success as a group, it ensures their bloodline won't be forgotten either.

This is my first post here, although I have been a member and a lurker for awhile. 
It's so hard to pin down the words to say, and I apologize if I have rambled on in this post. 

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest..

Thank you, well said. Human concepts simply cannot be applied even if our instincts tell us that. I admit that these past few weeks my heart wished that the rangers would have fed the boys to prevent them from dying of starvation, but my brain tells me that we have to let nature run its course. And indeed, I have been depressed about their deaths. Simply because I've known of them for so many years and aware of how amazing their lives have been it isn't like other known animals passing IMO. These are understandable human emotions, but the individuals who treat this like some kind of movie with villains and heroes and glee at their demise are truly troubled and I'm glad that they don't have a voice here.

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

Leroy lets be honest if this interaction between the bboys and scar nose happened we can't call this as fight. Scar nose was layed waiting for the death with 14 years old and half of his real weight. Maybe bboys only did the bite death around his neck and left  him behind. Scar  nose was killed by a combination of old age and starvation 
2 users Like T Rabbit's post

Abomai Offline

(04-15-2018, 03:15 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: Leroy lets be honest if this interaction between the bboys and scar nose happened we can't call this as fight. Scar nose was layed waiting for the death with 14 years old and half of his real weight. Maybe bboys only did the bite death around his neck and left  him behind. Scar  nose was killed by a combination of old age and starvation 

Writing novels? that's pure fantasy.
1 user Likes Abomai's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

Abomai why pure fantasy? Im only talking about the final moments of lion. What could happened there. The guy wich is talking  about this final interaction send us the pic of scar nose body. Look at the condition of scar nose. He was unable to fight. 

Musa15 Offline

(04-15-2018, 03:15 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: Leroy lets be honest if this interaction between the bboys and scar nose happened we can't call this as fight. Scar nose was layed waiting for the death with 14 years old and half of his real weight. Maybe bboys only did the bite death around his neck and left  him behind. Scar  nose was killed by a combination of old age and starvation 

I agree, the main culprit were natural causes. The Majingilane who truly died at the hands of other Lions was the 5th Majingilane killed by Mr. T and Kinky Tail. For the rest, it was age/natural causes that caught up to them.
1 user Likes Musa15's post