There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Canada stronghold Offline

I saw that video too, I don't think they lost their edge. Sure they are on their twilight years. But what a run. I just hope they can hold on until the Mhangeni boys reach independence.

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

I see them last atleast 1 more year based on the current lion dynamics in sabi sands unless a new prime coalition throws a spanner in the works

New Zealand KGB_lion Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-18-2018, 06:46 PM by KGB_lion )

(01-18-2018, 01:20 PM)anand3690 Wrote: This is what I found latest on FB:

Looks worth investigating.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%...RKcs3Cfg5E

VDO @

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MAhhgoXIb4&sns=fb

Those are a bunch of pics taken last year, few of the pics are from when the Majingilane supposedly had a confrontation with the 2 young Avoca males back in June (http://blog.londolozi.com/2017/06/27/mal...territory/). The young Avoca males are currently spending time in southern Mala Mala.
1 user Likes KGB_lion's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Londolozi.

The three Majingilane, back in their old haunt of northern Londolozi. 

Video by @jacquihemphill.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

Video Credits the_kylie_jones
Responding to the roars of lions close to camp, we found 8 of the Mhangeni sub-adults walking in tandem with the Majingilane coalition. The adult females were missing from the pride but as some of the roars we had heard were definitely made by lionesses, we suspect it was them calling from somewhere close behind. @londolozi
3 users Like Fredymrt's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Majingilane Come Back: By James Tyrrell.

I don’t know how many of you have watched HBO’s miniseries Band of Brothers, but there’s a line in one of the final episodes (near the end of the War) in which Sergeant Malarkey is talking to a new officer in the regiment about the fact that his unit has a roof over their heads, and says that at this stage of the war,”I don’t think anyone wants to do anything stupid, you know?”.

With everyone knowing that the end of hostilities is surely approaching, there’s really no need to go on the offensive. Survival is all that counts.

The Majingilane with the missing canine lies with a few of the sub-adults from the Mhangeni pride. Photograph by James Tyrrell

*This image is copyright of its original author

The Majingilane coalition appear to find themselves in a similar situation. Having been in residence in the Sabi Sand Reserve for more than 7 years now (first arriving in mid-2010), they surely can’t be more than a year from being overthrown. Mind you, I’ve said something similar many times before, yet they continue to persist.

And good for them.

You’ll read in many textbooks that male lions have an average tenure of two years over a territory, so an extra five for the Majingilane is an incredibly impressive feat. Bear in mind though that average tenure and what is normal can be two different things. You might get 10 coalitions holding territories for one year and ten holding territory for three years; the average occupancy would be two years, but not one of the coalitions actually held territory for that length of time.

The Dark Mane and Scar Nosed males – almost a coalition within a coalition – emerge from the darkness. Photograph by Paul Danckwerts

Mathematics aside, to exist in an area with a healthy lion population and continue to ward off rivals for that long is something to be respected. Granted there were four Majingilane for a long time, and in what is essentially a numbers game, they have had the upper hand in almost every encounter, yet the number of male coalitions that have come and gone during their tenure is not insignificant.

Off the top of my head, the following males have been unable to unseat the Majingilane since their arrival:

Mapogo
Selati
Fourways
Matimba
Matshipiri
Styx
Sand River
Avoca

There may be one or two more coalitions that I’ve forgotten, but those are the main ones. The dynamics rarely involved a simple head-to-head between the Majingilane and any of the above males but despite much prophesying over the years about their impending demise (mostly by me!), the Majingilane have outlasted or continue to outlast them all.

A male from what would become the Sand River coalition to the south of Londolozi desperately tries to ward off an attack by two of the Majingilane (a third is out of picture). during the early part of their dominance. Photograph by James Tyrrell

The Birmingham males are steadily encroaching into the grey area into which the Majingilane occasionally venture, and being a group of four magnificent lions in their prime, there is a serious chance that they may be the next big thing on Londolozi.

One of the Birmingham males passes behind ranger John Mohaud’s Land Rover. From his full mane, one can see how this male is in his absolute prime. Photograph by James Tyrrell

The bulk of the Majingilane’s movement these days involves trailing the Mhangeni pride at a distance, joining in the occasional hunt and feeding off any kills the pride makes.

Their silence has been notable though, and two nights ago, when we sat with them after dark, just south of the Londolozi camps, they simply got up and faded west into the night. No roaring, no scent-marking, nothing. Far from their normal area of occupation to the west of Londolozi, I imagine they thought it prudent to not draw too much attention to themselves.

As they age, we are almost always seeing them as a full complement of three if they do choose to venture this far east; as individuals they are far more likely to be picked off piecemeal by any stronger coalitions they may encounter. I may be giving the impression here that they are a short step from the end, but as the visuals in the video below show, they are still awesome specimens of lionhood:

Come what may, the time of the Majingilane at Londolozi and the Sabi Sand Reserve as a whole was not simply a few years in the careers of a few rangers and trackers. It has been an era. A common ground of magnificence between many guides and guests alike in this small corner of Africa.
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2018, 11:08 PM by Tshokwane )

Credits to Tpeighphotography.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Matthew Brennan - Inyati.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Craig Parsons.

Golden mane.

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Stuart Buy - Leopard Hills.

2 Majingilane and 2 Othawa ladies

Volume is needed for this one. Amazing sighting of 4 lions roaring around our vehicle. 

United States NCAT33 Offline

The Dark Mane and Scar Nosed males – almost a coalition within a coalition – emerge from the darkness. Photograph by Paul Danckwerts

Golden Mane is the youngest correct? 
Is it possible that he may form a coalition with his 8 Magheni sons like Notch did with his boys since Scar nose and Dark Mane are aging?

Chris Offline

(01-22-2018, 08:00 PM)NCAT33 Wrote: The Dark Mane and Scar Nosed males – almost a coalition within a coalition – emerge from the darkness. Photograph by Paul Danckwerts

Golden Mane is the youngest correct? 
Is it possible that he may form a coalition with his 8 Magheni sons like Notch did with his boys since Scar nose and Dark Mane are aging?

Most likely depending if they get ousted by Birminghams or another coalition it may be possible that there sons may join with them, now I’m not sure how the Ottawa boy but I can mainly see them join there 9 sons because they are very intelligent males which shows how they have beaten coalitions and remained king for more than 7 years.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(01-22-2018, 08:00 PM)NCAT33 Wrote: Golden Mane is the youngest correct?

There's no way to know, but to me both him and Scar nose looked to be the younger males.

(01-22-2018, 08:00 PM)NCAT33 Wrote: Is it possible that he may form a coalition with his 8 Magheni sons like Notch did with his boys

Well, there's always the possibility, but it's a far cry for it to happen, for a lot of reasons. 
It needs the other two dead, usually in a bloody way, and him not dying from the same, and then that the kids are somewhere near so that he joins them and then they all need to actually stay together...
So as you see it isn't as easy as it seems, plus Golden mane is much older than what Notch was when he stayed with his sons.

United States NCAT33 Offline

(01-22-2018, 08:36 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 08:00 PM)NCAT33 Wrote: Golden Mane is the youngest correct?

There's no way to know, but to me both him and Scar nose looked to be the younger males.

(01-22-2018, 08:00 PM)NCAT33 Wrote: Is it possible that he may form a coalition with his 8 Magheni sons like Notch did with his boys

Well, there's always the possibility, but it's a far cry for it to happen, for a lot of reasons. 
It needs the other two dead, usually in a bloody way, and him not dying from the same, and then that the kids are somewhere near so that he joins them and then they all need to actually stay together...
So as you see it isn't as easy as it seems, plus Golden mane is much older than what Notch was when he stayed with his sons.

Thank you. I know it's a stretch but he has been spending a lot of time with them and it appears he's always apart from DM  & SC.
1 user Likes NCAT33's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Tpeighphotography.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post