There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(12-24-2017, 08:28 AM)swtlei4u Wrote: on the londoliza blog that stated that when the majingalane lions controlled central sari sands the hyena population declined and when they went west thats when the hyena population started a resurgence or incline again.

That's very true, I remember that article.

My only point in the subject was about the phrase "in all africa history", since it's so easy to fall into exaggerations about it.

But yes, they definitely did exact a toll in their population.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

I mean there are videos already of majingilanes killing 5 different hyenas. It will be very difficult we see another coalition doing it. In 2010 and 2011 majingis were sighted and filmed already killing 2 hyenas. 1 in lonfolozi and another at nkorho. Bboys are  in sabi sands for 3 years and we can  not see them killing any hyena yet. Thats what i mean.
1 user Likes T Rabbit's post

United States Fredymrt Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-24-2017, 10:36 PM by Fredymrt )

Yeah, Majingilanes minimised the numbers of hyena in the area they reign,(In Sabi Sands) they killed hyenas like there was no tomorrow. These boys often eat hyenas they killed. Maybe it's their secret to long life. Cool

January 2017
*This image is copyright of its original author

April 2017
rosscouperphotoThis what anger looks like after devouring a hyena that just pushed its luck. 

Sep 2017

Feb 2015

May 30 2011 Chitwa Chitwa

June 5 2011 Nkorho bush L.

The hyenas are back with a vengeance!
With the departure of the Majingilane from central and eastern Londolozi, it seems that new coalitions aren’t the only thing that the resident prides have to worry about now.
A blog post from two-and-a-half years ago examined the drop in hyena numbers to the south of the Sand River on Londolozi. We attributed their decline to the all-powerful presence of the Majingilane, and the impact that these male lions had on the hyena population had a knock-on effect on other predators as well, most notably the leopards, who in the absence of their main competitor were found to be hoisting kills less and less.
Since last year, however, with the Majingilane establishing themselves in the western sector of the Sabi Sands, the way has been opened for the hyena numbers to rise again. Whereas between late 2011 and late 2013 the only regularly active hyena dens were to be found on the far corners of the property, right on the fringes of Majingilane territory, the last twelve months have seen the presence of the clans growing once more on central Londolozi, and new densites popping up closer and closer to the Sand River and the Londolozi Camps.
The clan that currently rules over the core of our property between the Sand River and Tugwaan drainage systems have established themselves firmly in three dens between the Maxabene riverbed and the Londolozi airstrip. Growing numbers of young ones in the clan and a limited amount of space in their underground burrows means a number of individual sites have been chosen within a couple of hundred metres of each other.
It was into this hotbed of hyena activity that the Tsalala pride were foolish enough to venture two days ago.

Rough estimates of clan activity south of the Sand River on Londolozi. The purple area, most likely occupied by a different clan than the one featured in this post but not necessarily, has densites at the purple dots, which they move between depending on number of youngsters and parasite buildup in the den. We used to have to travel right down south to view hyena dens. After the Majingilane moved out, a den appeared at the blue dot, and the current densites are the red dots. The black dot indicates the position of the Sparta pride kill discussed later in this post.

View the full story here:
lion warfare the old adversaries
5 users Like Fredymrt's post

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

The hyena KIA by majingilanes still counting. Another one killed at ulusuba. Now are 6 sightings.

3 users Like T Rabbit's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

"Simba, let me tell you something my father told me.

Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars...

So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you. And so will I."

- The Lion King, 1994.

Credits to Craig Parsons.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Mathew Brennan -Inyati.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Kelwan Kaiser.

Golden mane.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Johan de la Rey - Leopard Hills.

Golden mane.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-29-2017, 04:50 AM by Tshokwane )

Credits to Maury Malyn.

Throwback to November 2010.

On patrol, as always.

And some more.

8 users Like Tshokwane's post

(12-28-2017, 07:17 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:

The firts photo Its solo aka Tsalala/Marthly male as far as I can tell.
The 2nd photo, is sparta & solo males, when they were still with the pride. The photos where taken by Maury malyn at Londolozi. Lol
2 users Like Fredymrt's post

Photo credits Warrick mukder

The 3 Kings Majingilane males photos taken yesterday at singita sabi sands.

6 users Like Fredymrt's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(12-29-2017, 01:46 AM)Fredymrt Wrote: The firts photo Its solo aka Tsalala/Marthly male as far as I can tell.
The 2nd photo, is sparta & solo males, when they were still with the pride.

Jaja yeah, I was told that by Svet at Facebook and then took another look at the pics that I though were of Golden mane  Funny

Thanks.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Credits warrick mulder

Golden mane
Lions mating on the morning..
5 users Like Fredymrt's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Hugo Breed - Leopard Hills.