There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

United States Fredymrt Offline

Credits to Hugo breed all 3 the Majingilane have been spending time with the Mhangeni pride

Smudge Majingilane
*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Fredymrt's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Credits: Londolozi

Recently Billy Connolly had me in fits of laughter. I wish I could say that that was in person as he hilariously narrated a game drive that we were on together, but it was, unfortunately, only a video. Nevertheless, the sketch in question had me laughing uncontrollably as he set about explaining how, in his old age, he had begun shouting at TV characters on particular shows that he enjoyed. One of those characters was a Wildebeest in a nature documentary who was being stalked by a few lionesses. He acted out how he thought these lionesses would communicate in order to plot an attack on the hapless, unaware wildebeest. He imagined them using hand signals and facial expressions as they crept closer to the grazing wildebeest. I certainly have not done the sketch any justice by explaining it but if you have ever seen lions and wildebeest on safari then the combination of his Scottish accent and his large mop of hair imitating a hunting lioness will have you in stitches.
After the laughter had subsided, it did actually get me thinking a little bit more about lions and what they actually say to one another. In particular, I thought back to a recent sighting I had of the Scar-nosed Majingilane. Much has been written about him and the other males in this coalition over the years but at around thirteen years of age (approximation) he is regarded as an old male lion. On this particular evening, we were winding our way back to the lodge at the end of our game drive when we came across him lying in an open clearing. We excitedly drove a little bit closer, switched off the Land Rover and sat in silence for a few a minutes, taking in the sight of this battle-scarred animal lying only metres from our vehicle.

The Scar-Nosed Majingilane Male. Photograph by James Tyrrell
He was lying with his head down but his eyes were open, and every now and then he would roll over onto his back and stretch out one leg as far as it would go. This was a promising sign, as lions will usually do this as they start to wake up. After repeating this a few times he sat up and started sniffing the air before letting out a massive yawn, exposing his worn but no less impressive incisors. As he exhaled we heard him let out a low, deep grumbling sound and at this point I knew what was coming next.
His head was close to the ground as the roar started, and as it got louder he raised his muzzle until he was staring directly into the night sky. The sound of his roar was felt not only by our ears but by every bone in our body. As it slowly subsided I could feel everyone shift slightly in the car as they moved for the first time after having dared not move during it for fear of interrupting such a jaw-dropping experience.
He flopped his head back down, and we all looked at each other with big smiles on our faces after witnessing and experiencing the roar of a male lion.

The impressive roar can be heard from several kilometres away.

One of the other Majingilane Males lets out a roar early one morning. Photograph by James Tyrrell
One of the first questions I was asked by the guests was “why he would be doing that?”. It was a very normal question to get and I quickly explained how it could be for a combination of reasons, including advertising that he is still dominant over the territory. He may have also been trying to call his brothers or find some of the lionesses that move through the area. It was a pretty standard answer that you can find in any field guide and, technically, it was correct: those were some of the reasons why male lions roar. But even as I answered the question, those reasons I gave didn’t feel adequate.
Here was a male lion in the twilight years of his life, who had been dominant in the area for over half a decade. His face bore an impressive array of scars from years of fighting, not only for survival but also for dominance. Here was a male lion who had fathered who knows how many cubs and whose genes will remain in the Sabi Sands for many years to come. Here was a true icon of his species. I felt guilty for giving such a standard textbook answer and so we started chatting more about what that roar could mean.
There are three Majingilane Males left in the coalition and a few days prior we had seen the trio together. It was one of the few occasions that I had seen them as a full group. We had actually been following two of them as they responded to the calls of what we discovered was the third brother. It was incredible to witness the affection that these three old brothers had towards one another as they enthusiastically rubbed their heads together and groomed.

The Scar-nosed Majingilane leads his brother across the Sand River
How did they come to be separated again now and was it out of choice or circumstance? In the latter stage of their life, it would be the safer option to stay together for strength in numbers in case they were to be challenged by younger rivals. Maybe the roar we had just heard was a desperate attempt to try and find his two other brothers because he was uncomfortable and felt vulnerable being alone?

It could have meant something completely different. Maybe, as the textbooks suggest, it was just a dominant male lion advertising his territory and alerting would-be rivals to stay away from it, or was he trying to call a lioness from the Mhangeni Pride with whom he had been mating with a few days earlier? Could it just be that it’s habit, and every evening when he’s on his own he roars for no reason in particular other than instinct? It’s unlikely that it would be for no reason at all, but then it begs the questions as to whether lions do have different roars for different occasions or was he just using the same roar that he has used his entire life which can be interpreted in a number of different ways depending what circumstance he finds himself in.

The Majingilane Coalition when there were still four of them. Photograph by James Tyrrell

The Majingilane coalition patrolling their territory, a few years back, across the river from Varty Camp. Photograph by James Tyrrell
If we were to get scientific it would be very interesting to have recorded the roar of this male five years ago and compared it to what we had been hearing that night. How different could it be? Would the pitch and length be the same? If it wasn’t, what would that tell us? One thing for certain though is that whatever the roar of a male lion means it will always send chills down your spine. Whether it is right next to the car and you cannot concentrate on anything else in that moment because you can feel it all around you or whether the distant rumble breaks the silence of the night from kilometres away, there is that same feeling of awe just knowing that Africa’s apex predator is calling.
I am left wondering though, what would Billy Connolly have made of this particular sighting?
8 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Adam Bannister.

A long overdue meeting with an old friend. This monumental lion played a huge role in shaping who I am now, the work I do and my approach to life. The Scar Nose Majingilane is without a doubt one of the most notorious of the lions in the Sabi Sands - for many years he and his famous coalition have fought tooth and claw to control huge tracts of land in the area. He is a legend and it was an honour to spend the morning in his presence.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

( This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 07:05 PM by Fredymrt )

The Week In Pictures #312

Photos Credits to Fin Lawlor
December 8, 2017

Dark mane

A Majingilane male focuses on a herd of buffalo in the distance. When lions hunt larger prey such a buffalo, it’s not uncommon for the males to be involved in the hunt. Photo by Varty Camp manager Thais Bassit. f/8.0, 1/1000, ISO 1600

Another image of the Mhangeni pride hunting a herd of Buffalo. We watched as the pride desperately tried to isolate a single buffalo. At one stage of the hunt they managed to bring down an individual, but the herd turned and came back to chase the pride off their wounded comrade. Photograph by Thais Bassit. f/8.0, 1/1000 sec, ISO 1600
4 users Like Fredymrt's post

Video Credits alex james jordan

A treat of a morning spent with a pride of 19 lions in the rain feeding on the remains of a zebra, when a young bull ele decided to arrive #londolozi

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Adam Bannister.

Without a doubt one of my favourite lion pictures I have ever taken - I just love the action and the mood. 

This was taken in the far south of Londolozi two days ago in the pouring rain. The huge Munghen Pride, together with 3 Majingilane males had killed a zebra in the thickets...as the meat started to run out, so the fighting became more fierce...

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

The Magnificent Golden Mane
Photo by Alessandra cuccato.
Location - Idube

Golden mane with one of his Mangheni sons/nephews
Photo by khxdxb88.
Location - Londolozi
7 users Like Fredymrt's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Dulini.

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

New Zealand KGB_lion Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2017, 10:58 AM by KGB_lion )

Scar Nose, Londolozi

Golden Mane and Dark Mane, Londolozi
6 users Like KGB_lion's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Alistair Smith.

The king on territorial patrol.

Male lions spend the early hours of the morning, and often even throughout the night, patrolling the boundaries of their territories, often roaring and scent marking as part of the process

Their aim? To ensure the safety of their prides of females and cubs within those territories, and to avoid the incursion of other dominant males into their areas!

We captured this male doing just that on a cool morning, in some cases even running whilst roaring. Always incredible behavior to witness.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to ‎Parthsarathi Jha‎.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Mhangene pride and the Majingilanes on a fresh buffalo kill.
Video by Nigel Ridge

7 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Photo by Alessandra cuccato
Idube Game Reserve.
Dec 2017.

3-Tooth Majingilane male. He dragged one of the kills out of the drainage line, that was awesome as we got view of the lions otherwise hidden! Everyone came for a bite of course. DM was roaring in the background in the meantime.

Images by Stuart Buy
Dec 2017

Followed up on lions roaring this morning and found the Othawas with one Majingilane

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to guest Monnapa Supernoona.

Dark mane and Othawa female.

3 users Like Tshokwane's post