There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ape Strength: Myth vs Reality

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(01-22-2019, 01:56 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:02 PM)Pckts Wrote: Watch the very beginning, there's no way to know the weight of the log but it's not light, the Gorilla moves it like nothing.

When gorilla is standing and keeping that log straight on the ground there is a way to calculate approximate weight. Gorillas are usually about 170 cm when standing, if big one 180 cm. So that log is most probably about 2 meters and then diameter about 30 cm. So volume of that log is approximately 0,14 cubic meter but let´s say 0,15.

That is also obviously quite dry wood when looking at it. When we know now approximate volume it is quite easy to look at possible weight. Spruce 65,5-68,5 kg. Birch would be 91-95 kg. Pine 73-76 kg.

If someone can give estimation about wood, then it is possible to give approximate weight for any log if there is some way to get approximate measurements :)

Same thing with rocks/stones, some estimations which will be quite close can be calculated.
If you say that volume is 0,14 cubic meter wood, with a density of 0,8, the weight would be 1000 X 0,14 x0,8 = 112 kilos
Density of 0,9 =>  weight = 126 kilos
Density of 0,7 => weigth = 98 kilos

Because very rare sorts of wood don't float on the water, I don't suppose that the density could be > 1. Even in this extreme case (density = 1), the weigth would be 140 kilos.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-22-2019, 02:45 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 10:02 PM)Pckts Wrote: Watch the very beginning, there's no way to know the weight of the log but it's not light, the Gorilla moves it like nothing.

When gorilla is standing and keeping that log straight on the ground there is a way to calculate approximate weight. Gorillas are usually about 170 cm when standing, if big one 180 cm. So that log is most probably about 2 meters and then diameter about 30 cm. So volume of that log is approximately 0,14 cubic meter but let´s say 0,15.

That is also obviously quite dry wood when looking at it. When we know now approximate volume it is quite easy to look at possible weight. Spruce 65,5-68,5 kg. Birch would be 91-95 kg. Pine 73-76 kg.

If someone can give estimation about wood, then it is possible to give approximate weight for any log if there is some way to get approximate measurements :)

Same thing with rocks/stones, some estimations which will be quite close can be calculated.
If you say that volume is 0,14 cubic meter wood, with a density of 0,8, the weight would be 1000 X 0,14 x0,8 = 112 kilos

Because very rare sorts of wood don't float on the water, I don't suppose that the density could be > 1. Even in this extreme case (density = 1), the weigth would be 140 kilos.

I used calculator which take note how dry wood is. I calculated weight based on quite dry wood, humidity about 20%. Fresh just chopped tree is naturally much heavier. I think, that you calculated weight of fresh tree.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Example, Spruce 0,15 cubic meter and 20% humidity in tree, weight 68,5 kg. Spruce humidity 45% means just chopped, weight 82,5 kg. Really wet, lets say humidity 80% 102,6 kg.

Spruce, pine and birch are quite common trees and birch is quite hard wood. That´s why I made some examples of those trees. Upper weight in my estimation is with 20% humidity which means usually "air dried" tree. If tree is long time in sun, it might be even drier and that means lighter naturally. But difficult to say. 

Of course if that log would be 40 cm, then we would be talking most probably about weights a little bit over 100 kg. But I think, that it is quite safe to say, that this log looks like to be quite dry wood.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here is site I use. Here you can choose what species of tree, how big humidity % and then you need just to put volume there :) Quite handy site.

https://www.timberpolis.fi/calc-timber-w...anguage=en

Wildanimal Lover

(01-22-2019, 03:13 AM)Shadow Wrote:

I used calculator which take note how dry wood is. I calculated weight based on quite dry wood, humidity about 20%. Fresh just chopped tree is naturally much heavier. I think, that you calculated weight of fresh tree.

Yes, I didn't take notice of the humidity. Anyway it would add a little bit weight.
For exemple 20 % humidity and density = 0,8:

Weigth = 0,2 X 0,14 X 1 + 0,8 X 0,14 X 0,8 = 28 + 89,6 = 117,6 kilos (instead of 112 kilos in case of dry wood).
2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-22-2019, 04:00 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 03:13 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Yes, I didn't take notice of the humidity. Anyway it would add a little bit weight.
For exemple 20 % humidity and density = 0,8:

Weigth = 0,2 X 0,14 X 1 + 0,8 X 0,14 X 0,8 = 28 + 89,6 = 117,6 kilos (instead of 112 kilos in case of dry wood).

If you look that site and then calculator, there are different wood species and I think, that density is already considered there.

Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

You wrote:

"Here is site I use. Here you can choose what species of tree, how big humidity % and then you need just to put volume there :) Quite handy site.

https://www.timberpolis.fi/calc-timber-w...anguage=en"

By this link:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-...-d_40.html

I just come to see that the wood density is much more variable than I previously thought... The humidity is a part of wood volume whose density is 1...

Let us choose the wood type, the humidity fraction and let us solve that !
2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-22-2019, 04:10 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

You wrote:

"Here is site I use. Here you can choose what species of tree, how big humidity % and then you need just to put volume there :) Quite handy site.

By this link:

I just come to see that the wood density is much more variable than I previously thought... The humidity is a part of wood volume whose density is 1...

Because there is no way to know that tree species, this is of course only a rough estimation. But I don´t think, that they put there logs of oak or teak, so spruce-birch  might be quite close.

Spruce with volume 0,15 cubic meters weight of dry log might be about 70 kg and if that log would be with 40 cm diameter, volume 0,25 cubic meters then about 115 kg.
Birch with volume 0,15 and dry about 95 kg and if 0,25 cubic meters about 160 kg.

Most important, I think, would be to know what tree species that is, then it would be quite easy to use calculators to get better estimation with smaller margin between lowest and highest possible weight. Anyway my own estimation is, that this log is a little bit under or over 100 kg. But I won´t say, that it couldn´t be even 150 kg, I just estimate it myself to about 100 kg when looking at how dry it looks like to be. Pity that it is winter, in summertime it would be easy to find logs here where I live :)
2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-22-2019, 04:10 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

You wrote:

By this link:

Anyway that video is good in that way, that if someone is interested, just getting logs about 2 meters long and then looking diameters 30-40 cm, that would be 12-14 inches. It is easy to compare then how easy or difficult it is :)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

One example about difficulties with wood weight and dry wood.

Look at 1:17 and forward.

That log is obviously dry again. She say that it is 26 inches log. When she takes it and I stop video at 1:20, I used ruler and measured on my screen, that log was 5 cm long and 2 cm thick. So when it is said, that it is 26 inches long, 26:5= 5,2 and 5,2 x 2 is 10,4. So that is diameter of that log, I think.

Then if that would be for instance pine, log of that size, humidity 20%, weight should be about 18 kg which is about 40 lbs. It looks like to be, that she lifts is much easier than she should if that would really be about 18 kg when looking how slim she is. But that doesn´t look like some plastic fake log either :) I think, that it is just very dry and light wood species. I put this just here to show how difficult it is to know too well unless knowing tree species :) 

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM by johnny rex )

From 
https://archive.org/details/DTIC_AD0412450/page/n19

Please noted that this is an old study.
4 users Like johnny rex's post

United States brobear Offline

https://www.junsanatomy.com/   

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like brobear's post

Australia GreenGrolar Offline

(03-15-2019, 04:08 PM)brobear Wrote: https://www.junsanatomy.com/   

That gorilla model is bulkier than the human model. Even chimps and baboons are deadly opponents for man what more a gorilla.
1 user Likes GreenGrolar's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(04-12-2019, 06:56 AM)GreenGrolar Wrote:

That gorilla model is bulkier than the human model. Even chimps and baboons are deadly opponents for man what more a gorilla.

I think, that there is no doubt, that average gorilla is bulkier than average human. Then again we have really strong men weighing also 150-180 kg, compared to them it would be totally different situation.
But this thread was created in hope to find out if anyone have something what would give information about it, that what gorilla really is able to for instance lift or drag. So far nothing such, which would indicate, that gorilla would be something extraordinary compared to other strong animals, for example tigers, lions, bears etc. Some researches even makes it look like, that gorilla might be considerably weaker when comparing muscle fiber test results compared to big cats.... 

There is a lot of speculation always, but does anyone have anything concrete which haven´t been already countless times in different forums?
2 users Like Shadow's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(04-12-2019, 11:34 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 06:56 AM)GreenGrolar Wrote:

I think, that there is no doubt, that average gorilla is bulkier than average human. Then again we have really strong men weighing also 150-180 kg, compared to them it would be totally different situation.
But this thread was created in hope to find out if anyone have something what would give information about it, that what gorilla really is able to for instance lift or drag. So far nothing such, which would indicate, that gorilla would be something extraordinary compared to other strong animals, for example tigers, lions, bears etc. Some researches even makes it look like, that gorilla might be considerably weaker when comparing muscle fiber test results compared to big cats.... 

There is a lot of speculation always, but does anyone have anything concrete which haven´t been already countless times in different forums?

I have something that may surprise you. Bearing in mind that both lions and Eastern gorillas are present in the border region of Eastern and Central Africa, such as Virunga National Park in northeastern D R Congo (https://visitvirunga.org), and that lions and Western gorillas are both in the border region of Western and Central Africa, such as Cameroon (http://africamsafaris.ru/?page_id=906&lang=en, https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/10-...-gorillas/), a brutal fight between a lion and gorilla, in which they mauled each other, was recorded somewhere in Central Africa in the 19th Century, seriously brutal, and the story is so long that it doesn't fit here: https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspa...00226.2.13

1 user Likes BorneanTiger's post