There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ape Strength: Myth vs Reality

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

A Tire flip and a deadlift are very different things the require different techniques, but let's say a gorilla could comprehend technique and could be taught to lift in the same way, you can guarentee that a Gorilla would outlift any human by a large margin. They are built for that type of lift, short legs so the weight doesn't have to move far, long powerful arms that won't give (many injuries in the deadlift are bicep detachments) as well as allowing the gorilla to lower his hips and raise his chest, a giant back, core and glutes which are the primary muscles used during a deadlift and strong traps and shoulders which help at the apex of the lift when you need to keep your shoulders back and your chest out.

When it comes to a Tire flip, it's more about getting your butt low, your feet are crouched beneath then you drive up and forward and most will use their knee at the end for the extra oomph to get the tire over. 

I could easily flip our 950lb tire but my deadlift never got over 600lbs, it's the same for any powerlifter, only a handful have ever lifted 1000lbs but you can bet the house that every single one of them has flipped 1000lb tires or more and not just once, they flip it as many times as they can in a cetrain time frame and usually it's quite impressive how many flips they can get in.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-13-2019, 08:44 PM)Pckts Wrote: A Tire flip and a deadlift are very different things the require different techniques, but let's say a gorilla could comprehend technique and could be taught to lift in the same way, you can guarentee that a Gorilla would outlift any human by a large margin. They are built for that type of lift, short legs so the weight doesn't have to move far, long powerful arms that won't give (many injuries in the deadlift are bicep detachments) as well as allowing the gorilla to lower his hips and raise his chest, a giant back, core and glutes which are the primary muscles used during a deadlift and strong traps and shoulders which help at the apex of the lift when you need to keep your shoulders back and your chest out.

When it comes to a Tire flip, it's more about getting your butt low, your feet are crouched beneath then you drive up and forward and most will use their knee at the end for the extra oomph to get the tire over. 

I could easily flip our 950lb tire but my deadlift never got over 600lbs, it's the same for any powerlifter, only a handful have ever lifted 1000lbs but you can bet the house that every single one of them has flipped 1000lb tires or more and not just once, they flip it as many times as they can in a cetrain time frame and usually it's quite impressive how many flips they can get in.

If that study from 2017 is considered, that chimps are 1,35 times stronger than humans, then we can quite safely think (imo), that same goes with gorillas most probably. That would mean, that gorilla could lift 675 kg if we are comparing to Eddie Hall. Then again I am not sure, if strongest man is fair comparison to average gorilla.... so maybe a gorilla usually would be able to lift something like 400-500 kg a little bit from ground. Something what average human can only dream about.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

A gorilla is much more muscle packed than a chimp, it's going to be far more powerful.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-13-2019, 08:59 PM)Pckts Wrote: A gorilla is much more muscle packed than a chimp, it's going to be far more powerful.

So you think, that gorilla muscle fiber is stronger than what chimp has? Any study about that? Of course 200 kg animal is stronger than for instance 70 kg animal, but that doesn´t mean, that it is relatively stronger.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-13-2019, 09:00 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 08:59 PM)Pckts Wrote: A gorilla is much more muscle packed than a chimp, it's going to be far more powerful.

So you think, that gorilla muscle fiber is stronger than what chimp has? Any study about that? Of course 200 kg animal is stronger than for instance 70 kg animal, but that doesn´t mean, that it is relatively stronger.

You said that chimps were 1.35xs stronger based off the study you saw, gorillas are far more muscular so going off whatever study you saw, Gorillas would certainly out perform chimps in raw strength. 

In regards to muscle fibers, I dont know, i haven't read any studies comparing the two but let's say they are similar a gorilla would still most like have stronger fibers since it's much larger and fibers actually grow based off of use and being heavier means more muscles needed to get the body in motion.

Lastly is the lb for lb comparison
Lb for lb if like I stated earlier were true and gorillas, chimps and humans performed the same technique, I'd bet everything I own that a gorilla would out perform a chimp and human of equal size. If you could design the perfect body composition for a deadlift it would look like a gorilla but a lift like the bench press a gorillas long arms would actually be a detriment for instance. But any pulling motion or core and glute dominate lifts would be right in the gorillas wheelhouse.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

I noticed, that I wrote in unclear way about that study concerning chimpanzees. That was muscle fiber research and results showed, that chimpanzee muscle is about 1,35 stronger than human muscle fiber. So it was about pound for pound strength in a way. And if I have understood correctly, many old myths about gorillas are based to assumption, that chimp would be 5-6 times stronger than human.

Then again it feels logical to think, that chimpanzee and gorilla muscle fibers would be quite close call. Problem in this matter is all the time same. A lot of stories, claims etc. but not so much research and results and no good footage :/ Many times there is a video promising a lot when looking at headline, but on video nothing to make that "wow effect". Also stories, like "my friend works in zoo and he/she says....". And it is year 2019 and not a single footage from someone working in zoo, where we could see something impressive. One zoo manager said, after a gorilla was shot, that gorillas can break coconut in hand... in video footage we can see gorillas breaking coconuts hitting against rocks, not just crushing in hand. Of course that zoo manager had angry people and social media rage to handle, so some exaggeration is understandable.... but that kind of statements then again turn fast as "true stories" in internet.

But if someone have footage, where gorilla crushes coconut in hand, I hope, that linking it here. It would be something.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-13-2019, 09:31 PM)Pckts Wrote:

You said that chimps were 1.35xs stronger based off the study you saw, gorillas are far more muscular so going off whatever study you saw, Gorillas would certainly out perform chimps in raw strength. 

In regards to muscle fibers, I dont know, i haven't read any studies comparing the two but let's say they are similar a gorilla would still most like have stronger fibers since it's much larger and fibers actually grow based off of use and being heavier means more muscles needed to get the body in motion.

Lastly is the lb for lb comparison
Lb for lb if like I stated earlier were true and gorillas, chimps and humans performed the same technique, I'd bet everything I own that a gorilla would out perform a chimp and human of equal size. If you could design the perfect body composition for a deadlift it would look like a gorilla but a lift like the bench press a gorillas long arms would actually be a detriment for instance. But any pulling motion or core and glute dominate lifts would be right in the gorillas wheelhouse.
Heh, I kind of replied partially. But yes, I agree of course, that gorilla strength can be more fitting to some movements and less to some. Still if it would be as strong as wildest myths claim, it should be able to lift 500 kg like we lift shopping bag. To that I don´t believe just like that. Nowadays I see gorilla something like a very very strong man able to move it´s big body almost like acrobats. For me that is already really impressive. I mean, we have very strong men, then we have acrobats, but humans are either one or another. What I have seen about gorillas, they sometimes show astonishing agility when remembering their weight and what that body looks like. For sure something, what no-one should hope to meet in dark alley, when angry :)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here is that study about chimpanzee muscles.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication..._evolution

Jimmy Offline

On a slight different note, I remember sometimes being awestruck by physic of naked chimp, it's natural for them, most humans would need steroids for these kind of muscle and bulk.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I could not find this about gorilla, I read that this was some kind of skin ailment where hair completely falls... .. but good thing it shows the underlying muscle and anatomy of the great ape.
2 users Like Jimmy's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 07:12 AM by Shadow )

(01-14-2019, 06:39 AM)Jimmy Wrote: On a slight different note, I remember sometimes being awestruck by physic of naked chimp, it's natural for them, most humans would need steroids for these kind of muscle and bulk.

I could not find this about gorilla, I read that this was some kind of skin ailment where hair completely falls... .. but good thing it shows the underlying muscle and anatomy of the great ape.

Poor chimp :/ But that chimp is like mini-gorilla, neck is different, but quite a "body builder".

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(01-13-2019, 10:03 PM)Shadow Wrote: Here is that study about chimpanzee muscles.

According to the paper, chimp strength is 1.5 times higher than humans.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-14-2019, 11:09 AM)johnny rex Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 10:03 PM)Shadow Wrote: Here is that study about chimpanzee muscles.

According to the paper, chimp strength is 1.5 times higher than humans.

Yes, that is an interesting study to read :)

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 11:42 PM by Pckts )

Big Boy Showing off

If it's not showing up, here's the link https://www.instagram.com/p/Bss5KPtARVzx..._UTMbBp40/

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-16-2019, 11:36 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Big Boy Showing off

If it's not showing up, here's the link https://www.instagram.com/p/Bss5KPtARVzx..._UTMbBp40/

That is also in youtube, one of my favorite gorilla clips :) That sound is fun to listen.

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2019, 04:12 PM by johnny rex )

According to https://physicalculturestudy.com/2017/07...a-gorilla/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1635523/, a 135 lbs female chimp named Suzette, a former circus performer, "From a relaxed state, Suzette was credited with pulling 905 pounds and over 1260 pounds once agitated" by ‘sprang to the rope and, bracing both feet against the bars, pulled back with both hands upon the rope, making a pull on the latter that recorded 1260 lb upon the dial of the recording device’. A male chimp named Boma "Suzette’s father Boma registered one-hand pulls of 847 pounds with his right hand and 640 pounds with his left." Even football players can't do the exact feats that were done by chimps.
1 user Likes johnny rex's post