There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ape Strength: Myth vs Reality

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-28-2018, 06:12 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: I once played with an orangutan youngster through the fence at a Sweedish zoo, I dipped a stick in honey and the orangutan would lick it off. When I tried to take back the stick and the orangutang held on, it is the most insane strength I have ever felt from an animal that size or a fair amount bigger like big dogs 2-3 times heavier. It was like it was semented into a building, I’m not joking it was insane, I’ve been trainig martial arts for years, but that orangutan was probably stronger than me even being a young animal at 20 kg. I also heard from the animal park where I worked a couple years back that 3 men where no match in a thug if war against their 85 kg male Chimpanzee Julius.  

I don’t know how strong they are, but compared to us humans I think people would be shocked about how much stronger they actually are.. no man on the planet neither Daniel Cormier or a roided Jon Jones would stand a chance against an adult Chimpanzee or Orangutan. And gorillas are obviously even much stronger. I think a gorilla is stronger than a big cat at the same size, perhaps equal to a bear.

If this is real deal here, then one example and challenge to any big ape.

3 users Like Shadow's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Shadow 
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]No I think a chimp is more than 1,5 times stronger than a man, I have talked with people who’s been working with them and some of the things they tell me is quite impressive. I think mesuring the strength and things like that are hard to do, how do they get the animal to give 100% during the tests etc, it will always be different if the animals are forced in a natural situation and if you add explosiveness anf speed. [/font][/font]
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]And chimps are way too explosive and fast for any human to overpower. I have seen them argue and "fight" within their group in a zoo that is a terrifying thing. And I think our thin skin would be ripped open by their canines and strong nails. [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]The man who killed a leopard with bare hands is quite understandable after you see the size of the leopard in this picture and that she was already badly injuried.
*This image is copyright of its original author
 [/font]
[/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Yeah maybe the three biggest cats (lion, tiger and jaguar) are stonger pound for pound. After all I’ve seen a young male lion pull a 200-300 kg zebra like it’s an empty gym bag over the plains. And hold back a pro strong man giving his all with one claw. But a they are stronger than a leopard imo. But we will never know. [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]But the power some animals prosesses are insane and hard to imagine. [/font][/font]
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 08:28 AM by Shadow )

(12-28-2018, 08:01 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: @Shadow 
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]No I think a chimp is more than 1,5 times stronger than a man, I have talked with people who’s been working with them and some of the things they tell me is quite impressive. I think mesuring the strength and things like that are hard to do, how do they get the animal to give 100% during the tests etc, it will always be different if the animals are forced in a natural situation and if you add explosiveness anf speed. [/font][/font]
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]And chimps are way too explosive and fast for any human to overpower. I have seen them argue and "fight" within their group in a zoo that is a terrifying thing. And I think our thin skin would be ripped open by their canines and strong nails. [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]The man who killed a leopard with bare hands is quite understandable after you see the size of the leopard in this picture and that she was already badly injuried.
 [/font]
[/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Yeah maybe the three biggest cats (lion, tiger and jaguar) are stonger pound for pound. After all I’ve seen a young male lion pull a 200-300 kg zebra like it’s an empty gym bag over the plains. And hold back a pro strong man giving his all with one claw. But a they are stronger than a leopard imo. But we will never know. [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]But the power some animals prosesses are insane and hard to imagine. [/font][/font]

Yes that was same article about leopard and man. Some people quote that and talk about it, like this man would have killed a healthy leopard bare handed. I don´t say, that it would be totally impossible, but this leopard was wounded twice before their fight started.

Anyway it is surprisingly difficult to find something truly impressive about gorillas. Some footage prove that there is strength, but so far nothing what would make "WOW" effect when looking at performances from other animals. For instance that "famous" banana tree breaking, not bad, but I think, that any bear same size would do the same also with quite small effort. That gorilla bite that banana tree twice to weaken it and ripped shreds from it before finally breaking it and also used some body weight to help when looking that video. So it didn´t just grab it nonchalantly as some say and snapped it just like that with one hand :)

Or are there more than one banana tree video about gorilla breaking it on youtube?
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 08:53 AM by Shadow )

(12-28-2018, 08:01 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: @Shadow 

[/font]
[/font]

And what comes to that research and results about muscles, it would be for sure interesting to see some testing too. There can be something more which could be found out if able to get some real figures too. What comes to fighting with chimps, I agree with you quite a lot. But I still think, that if some strong man would also go "berserk", with chimp he might have a small chance (with some severe wounds etc.). With a gorilla I can´t see that even in my wildest dreams Grin

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here is one quite new footage about gorilla in "gym". Nothing extraordinary what comes to extreme strength, but still quite impressive agility, which demands certain kind of strength too. Quite easy looking movement from an animal weighing 150-200 kg.

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(01-02-2019, 07:26 PM)Shadow Wrote: Here is one quite new footage about gorilla in "gym". Nothing extraordinary what comes to extreme strength, but still quite impressive agility, which demands certain kind of strength too. Quite easy looking movement from an animal weighing 150-200 kg.

That silverback easily lifts its own body weight though. Sorry but are you the same guy as Engineeringman0923 from Reddit? He constantly said a man can knock a gorilla unconscious with bare hands, without understanding that gorillas have denser bones compared to humans just like any other animals.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-02-2019, 08:55 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 07:26 PM)Shadow Wrote: Here is one quite new footage about gorilla in "gym". Nothing extraordinary what comes to extreme strength, but still quite impressive agility, which demands certain kind of strength too. Quite easy looking movement from an animal weighing 150-200 kg.

That silverback easily lifts its own body weight though. Sorry but are you the same guy as Engineeringman0923 from Reddit? He constantly said a man can knock a gorilla unconscious with bare hands, without understanding that gorillas have denser bones compared to humans just like any other animals.

I don´t know what you are talking about with that engineeringman :) I am just curious to find out how much in gorilla strength is myths and where goes reality. Compared to other strong animals. So far I haven´t found anything extraordinary. If you look my previous comments here it should be quite clear how I think about this subject :)

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(01-02-2019, 09:03 PM)Shadow Wrote:

I don´t know what you are talking about with that engineeringman :) I am just curious to find out how much in gorilla strength is myths and where goes reality. Compared to other strong animals. So far I haven´t found anything extraordinary. If you look my previous comments here it should be quite clear how I think about this subject :)

Gorillas are strong, but not as strong as what most people believed though. We have to observe whether a silverback can pull a truck easily or not.
1 user Likes johnny rex's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 09:42 PM by Shadow )

(01-02-2019, 09:07 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 09:03 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Gorillas are strong, but not as strong as what most people believed though. We have to observe whether a silverback can pull a truck easily or not.

Yes they are strong, that is clear. For instance when looking at movements in this latest video that looks like a combination of some powerlifter and gymnast. Many people can move making it look like as easy as this gorilla here, but not when body weight is about 150-200 kg. So it is clear, that gorilla is a powerhouse. They should put there some heavy sacks or soft but heavy balls... Something what gorilla could play with if interested but not hurting itself like might happen with some steel weight or big rock. it would be really interesting to see some sack with 200 kg of sand etc. and how easily gorilla would handle it or could we see some effort. Just if some way to do it safely for gorillas and so, that they would do it because they like to play etc.

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

(12-13-2018, 03:48 AM)brotherbear Wrote: Some years ago, seems like well over a decade ago, I wrote a letter to the sanctuary - https://activerain.com/blogsview/804381/...-mountains 

I asked if they have ever considered performing a test of gorilla strength. I stressed that this could probably be performed in a way that might actually be enjoyable to the great apes with no pain or stress. 

From the return mail I received you would think that I had asked if I could feed their gorilla's Strychnine. 

Yes, I had suggested this. I stressed that the strength test could be made into an enjoyable experience for the gorillas and in no way producing stress or pain. But, as mentioned above, you would think that I had asked to beat there great apes with a barbed-wire whip. How dare I suggest such a thing! 
I did not mention above, they stated that saving gorillas from extinction is far more important than testing how strong they are. Well, i did not respond to their poison-letter, but at that time in my life I was actively giving to environmental causes; especially to the WWF.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-09-2019, 05:10 AM)brotherbear Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 03:48 AM)brotherbear Wrote: Some years ago, seems like well over a decade ago, I wrote a letter to the sanctuary - https://activerain.com/blogsview/804381/...-mountains 

I asked if they have ever considered performing a test of gorilla strength. I stressed that this could probably be performed in a way that might actually be enjoyable to the great apes with no pain or stress. 

From the return mail I received you would think that I had asked if I could feed their gorilla's Strychnine. 

Yes, I had suggested this. I stressed that the strength test could be made into an enjoyable experience for the gorillas and in no way producing stress or pain. But, as mentioned above, you would think that I had asked to beat there great apes with a barbed-wire whip. How dare I suggest such a thing! 
I did not mention above, they stated that saving gorillas from extinction is far more important than testing how strong they are. Well, i did not respond to their poison-letter, but at that time in my life I was actively giving to environmental causes; especially to the WWF.
I remember that, you have mentioned about it. Strange to get rude answer even though of course conservation is more important. Then again when they make that kind of facilities, there could be something heavier too if someone just would get idea. No need to put there 500 kg weights, but something to give a hint :)

Grizzly Enthusiast

We might get some idea with nothing more than a very heavy tire swing on heavy ropes. But this of course could give us no true measurements when a gorilla lifts it. As for the rude letter I received in response to my request, I considered that it was read and answered by an individual. Evidently not a very open-minded person or someone who had just experienced a bad day.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-09-2019, 05:45 AM)brotherbear Wrote: We might get some idea with nothing more than a very heavy tire swing on heavy ropes. But this of course could give us no true measurements when a gorilla lifts it. As for the rude letter I received in response to my request, I considered that it was read and answered by an individual. Evidently not a very open-minded person or someone who had just experienced a bad day.

Yes, maximum strength test is something maybe not nice to think about. But when knowing exact weight of something and seeing how animal handle it can give quite good idea what kind of capabilities it have. Some animals like elephants give good information when flipping over cars, breaking trees, flipping rhinos and hippos over when bad day... but not all.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Build the gorilla's a rope-swing from a 1000 pound truck tire and watch them play. At some point, a curious gorilla will be lifting it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJTaH1xmpvE
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-13-2019, 06:09 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Build the gorilla's a rope-swing from a 1000 pound truck tire and watch them play. At some point, a curious gorilla will be lifting it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJTaH1xmpvE

I would start with something lighter, 1000 pounds is quite much, about 454 kg and that is like a reasonable sized buffalo hanging from the rope.

We have to remember what 1000 pounds is, here is 500 kg, which is more, but giving some example.

Eddie Hall is there 186 kg, if I remember right. Trained hard a long long time to be able to lift more than any human before and did it. I bet, that eating something else than potatoes and meatballs too.... I just can´t see any gorilla walking there and lift 500 kg, like it would weight nothing, whatever some people say. Gorilla is just 150-200 kg too. Being stronger than strongest human doesn´t necessarily mean, that something is easy, even though it can be somewhat easier than it was here to Eddie.

it is easy to say, that 500 kg is nothing for a gorilla if not stopping for a moment and think what 500 kg really means :) Thinking some gorilla walking there and lifting that with one hand like some people say. I don´t believe in that at all. My opinion is based also to it, what can be seen with other strong animals.
2 users Like Shadow's post