There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girth Comparaison of Animals

Indonesia P.T.Sondaica Offline

Show data here like pckts or brotherbear we need data
1 user Likes P.T.Sondaica's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-24-2018, 07:08 PM by Polar )

@P.T.Sondaica, I already provided data on the grizzlies of Khutzeymateen (they are average for US grizzlies in terms of morphology and weight) on the other page (look at post #163), and they exceed big cats at equal weight in chest and neck girth. So it is the exact opposite.

But a select few specimens that Pckts has posted had some of brotherbear's grizzlies beat in neck and chest girth. That means more exceptionally-built big cats (even at same weight) can match average grizzlies in chest and neck girth.

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Little drawing I made between the polar and grizzly bear...

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2018, 04:36 PM by brotherbear )

(04-23-2018, 08:29 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 04:00 AM)brotherbear Wrote: If we were comparing a reticulated python to a green anaconda in a comparison of girth, we would compare them at equal length; thus find which is thicker and heavier - the anaconda. No difference in comparing tiger with grizzly.
Numerous differences between this comparison and the Bear/Big Cat comparison.

1. Snakes are of the same species not Like a Bear v. Cat.
2. Snakes don't have a neck, chest or limbs so what else could you compare.
3. A Reticulated Python would be longer while a Anaconda would be shorter and heavier, of course a heavier, shorter snake will have more girth than a longer snake that weighs less, where else would the weight distribute?

If you were to compare a Gabon Viper to a Anaconda lets say, you could then do it by extrapolating the weight of the viper or length, but either way is a different comparison.  

We are comparing a Full Grown Bear @ 200kg to a Full Grown Cat @ 200kg, hence why the comparison is lb for lb.

"But the grizzly has the tiger beat in girth."

It certainly does, I have never said it doesn't but when equal weights or lengths at times, the Tiger has some individuals that out match the Grizzly while other individuals even at equal weights will surpass any Tiger specimens you can find. 
So in closing, like I have said numerous times, the outliers for the Grizzly will far exceed the outliers for Tigers but depending on the sub species, there are Tigers that will have more girth in any department than a Grizzly of comparative weight but more often the Grizzly is the winner in this department. 
This is where you are cheating Pckts: To measure the girth of the anaconda and the python, you compare two snakes of equal length. No different with tiger and grizzly. YES they are built differently; one is a cat and the other a bear. That, my frend, is the whole idea. But, to compare two animals for girth, of different species, you compare them as they are, measuring each from nose to rump. *Because of the grizzly's different build, he has the greater girth at equal length. -*That is how you compare them honestly. My question to you is... why is it so important to you for the tiger to be equal or better than the grizzly in a girth comparison that you must find a way to cheat?

Grizzly Enthusiast

Polar: according to your drawing, the polar bear has a bigger skull than the grizzly ( brown bear ). Look again at the Boone and Crockett record skulls. Inaccurate picture.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Grizzly skull is still slightly wider at the mid-range.

Indonesia P.T.Sondaica Offline

@Polar all member here deal tiger have more large chest than bear in same weight look in many comment here brown bear or pckts

Grizzly Enthusiast

Time to put the tiger vs grizzly girth debate to rest. The best method to compare would be measured from chest-to-rump. This would be 100% fair. But we do not have access to such measurements. At equal weight; a huge unfair advantage is given to the animal having the greater weight and girth - just plain stupid. At equal shoulder height, unfair to the grizzly which has a shoulder hump and longer legs. Very unfair.
The fairest method we have is to measure nose-to-rump body length. While this provides some degree of advantage to the tiger, which has a shorter neck and a shorter muzzle, still I am willing to accept this measurement for a girth comparison between grizzly and tiger ... and the grizzly comes out on top ... of course.
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

Panther Offline

(04-02-2018, 09:50 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Exactly Rishi, and that tiger is very likely at height/length parity with the grizzly.

How do you know that?

Grizzly Enthusiast

(04-02-2018, 09:42 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Tiger vs Grizzly in GIRTH. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

I could't find that post Panther, no post number given. But if you wish to continue this ridiculous debate of a tiger having greater girth in neck, limbs, and torso than a brown bear - I'm not here.
1 user Likes brotherbear's post