There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

*This image is copyright of its original author

Kingfisher

Mukhtar

Umarpani 

Samrat 

Waghdoh

Tarzan

biggest male from the Terai region i have ever seen.

Rajaji’s famous male that was captured in a camera trap

Sathiana range male

the big male monitored by the Wildlife Institute of India from Dudhwa, NP.

Gulrighat

Kauva Ghatia

Katarniaghat

KZT085

KZT083 is the biggest Kaziranga male i have ever seen

KZT023

the male that was relocated from Kaziranga to Manas

Kaziranga male

one of the biggest Kaziranga male out there

any male tiger that can look like this next to a rhino is no ordinary animal, Kaziranga. 

I know I know, i ignored a plenty of males but i was in a rush. this is my list of what modern day freak felids look like.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

16 users Like Pantherinae's post

Indonesia P.T.Sondaica Offline

Ancient Sumatran more big dan ngandong

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-18-2019, 03:18 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

@tigerluver 

At your request, I just manage to find the pics of Manchurian mandible with higher resolution. Although the first one is not original, but you can still visualize it with enough resolution. There were two pics missing; one with the lower canine being removed and put aside with a ruler, and I remembered it was something between 12.5 - 13 cm, and the AP diameter around 3.5 - 3.6 cm, and the other one was in comparison with a Cave hyena skull.

5 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

India Hello Offline

Cave lion cub,it looks much more like a lion than tiger

7 users Like Hello's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Interesting video about the saber toothed cats and their history till almost now...

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

A sabertooth cat yes, but which one ?

" For some reason I feel like I’ve seen this before, maybe at the Smithsonian natural history museum in DC? "

4 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Prehistoric cats fight, between one sabertooth cat and probably a more classic panthera cat (puma ?). Nice depiction, artist author's name unspecified.

4 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Extant and extinct cats size...

Siberian Tiger 1.Rusty Spotted Cat 2.Southern Tigrina 3.African Wild Cat 4.Iriomote Cat 5.Black Footed Cat 6.Kodkod Cat 7.Asian Leopard Cat 8.Domestic Shorthair Cat 9.Flat-Headed Cat 10.European Wild Cat 11.Chinese Mountain Cat 12.Oncilla 13.Sand Cat 14.Margay 15.Geoffroy Cat 16.Marbled Cat 17.Bay Cat 18.Pallas's Cat 19.Andean Mountain Cat 20.Pampas Cat 21.Jaguarundi 22.Proailurus Lemanensis 23.Jungle Cat 24.Fishing Cat 25.Clouded Leopard 26.Sunda Clouded Leopard 27.Caracal 28.Ocelot 29.Arabian Leopard 30.Serval 31.African Golden Cat 32.Asian Golden Cat 33.Canada Lynx 34.Bobcat 35.Iberian Lynx 36.Panthera Blytheae 37.Snow Leopard 38.Central American Jaguar 39.Panthera Toscana Jaguar 40.Barbary Leopard 41.Sivapanthera 42.Javan Leopard 43.Indochinese Leopard 44.Amur Leopard 45.Persian Leopard 46.South American Cougar 47.Indian Leopard 48.Amazonian Jaguar 49.Eurasian Lynx 50.North China Leopard 51.Bali Tiger 52.Smilodon Gracilis 53.Longdan Tiger 54.European Jaguar 55.Pantanal Jaguar 56.Asiatic Cheetah 57.Argentina Cougar 58.Cheetah 59.King Cheetah 60.Megantereon 61.Homotherium 62.Sri Lankan Leopard 63.African Leopard 64.Dinofelis Barlowi 65.American Mountain Cheetah 66.American Steppe Cheetah 67.North American Jaguar 68.Eastern Cougar 69.Sumatran Tiger 70.Trinil Tiger 71.Indochinese Tiger 72.Metailurus Major 73.Eurasian Puma 74.South American Jaguar 75.Panthera Shawi 76.Lokotunjailurus Emageritus 77.Barbourofelis Fricki 78.Malayan Tiger 79.Asiatic Lion 80.Machairodus Aphanistus 81.Javan Tiger 82.Suth China Tiger 83.Barbary Lion 84.Giant Cheetah 85.Panthera Youngi 86.Nimravides Catacopis 87.Bengal Tiger 88.Similodon Fatalis 89.African Lion 90.Caspian Tiger 91.Xenosmilus Hodsonae 92.Cape Lion 93.Wanhsien Tiger 94.Eurasian Cave Lion 95.Homotherium Latidens 96.Cave Lion 97.Ngandong Tiger 98.Smilodon Populator 99.Liger (Hybrid) 100.Amphimachairodus Kabir 101.Natodomeri Lion 102.American Lion 103.Amphimachairodus Giganteus 104.Mosbach Lion
1 user Likes Spalea's post

India Hello Offline

Aren't Kruger lions the tallest and Bengal heaviest

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-13-2020, 01:37 PM)Hello Wrote: Aren't Kruger lions the tallest and Bengal heaviest

That is just a youtube video from some random poster, those can´t be taken too seriously.
3 users Like Shadow's post

genao87 Offline

(05-13-2020, 02:33 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 01:37 PM)Hello Wrote: Aren't Kruger lions the tallest and Bengal heaviest

That is just a youtube video from some random poster, those can´t be taken too seriously.

Indeed,  even the cats are not in correct order in terms of size.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-15-2020, 06:03 AM)genao87 Wrote:

When talking about freak felids, I think that tigers or lions in that category should be at least 250 kg without being obese. Both species can deliver that big individuals, but most are less. But every now and then there are some really big boys. For tigresses and lionesses I think, that should be something like 150-160 kg to earn to be called freak, since it´s here used as positive expression. This is my personal opinion, but I have to say that I´m not too impressed with most of posted tigers and lions in these threads, because many look quite normal sized. Sometimes I have thought, that these "freak felids" threads should be called "handsome big cats" since many are really handsome, but nothing so special in other ways. Tigers and lions are big and looking like it even when average sized.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

India Hello Offline

(05-15-2020, 11:56 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 06:03 AM)genao87 Wrote:

When talking about freak felids, I think that tigers or lions in that category should be at least 250 kg without being obese. Both species can deliver that big individuals, but most are less. But every now and then there are some really big boys. For tigresses and lionesses I think, that should be something like 150-160 kg to earn to be called freak, since it´s here used as positive expression. This is my personal opinion, but I have to say that I´m not too impressed with most of posted tigers and lions in these threads, because many look quite normal sized. Sometimes I have thought, that these "freak felids" threads should be called "handsome big cats" since many are really handsome, but nothing so special in other ways. Tigers and lions are big and looking like it even when average sized.

170-180 kg is also ok for females.

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2020, 11:38 PM by tigerluver )

Wrong thread for modern cat discussion, folks. This is in the extinct felines section. It seems somewhere last year a few posts were misplaced here and since the original intention has been lost. I'll move some post over to more appropriate threads. 

On a side note, 250 kg is small for an ancient lion, machairodont, or tiger, and thus the thread was called "freak felids" for the 400+ kg specimens that once existed. I do realize that the term can easily be misinterpreted so we moved the discussions for ancient lions into a more dedicated thread. Unfortunately the data on the rest of the species isn't as plentiful so dedicated threads never were formed.
3 users Like tigerluver's post