There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Felids Interactions - Intraspecific Conflicts

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 02:31 AM by Shadow )

@Pantherinae  Here is one interesting text concerning what you asked. From Indian Forester, October 1999 page 1063.

Quote: "There are instances when male tigers have been killed by female while approaching very near the cubs."

I attach screenshot of that page here, it´s worth to read overall too.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like Shadow's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-30-2019, 02:30 AM)Shadow Wrote: @Pantherinae  Here is one interesting text concerning what you asked. From Indian Forester, October 1999 page 1063.

Quote: "There are instances when male tigers have been killed by female while approaching very near the cubs."

Wow thanks for taking time to do that. I really appriciate that Shadow.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I have a hard time believing a Tigress can inflict enough damage to Kill an adult male but who knows, they are fully capable to kill.

That being said, one of the most impressive Tigress of Ranthambore, Machli, was tossed like a ragdoll by the Nick male * might be a different name* over a kill. It wasn't a matter of if Machli could fight with him, it was a matter of if she continued she'd be dead trying to hold onto her kill.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-30-2019, 02:36 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 02:30 AM)Shadow Wrote: @Pantherinae  Here is one interesting text concerning what you asked. From Indian Forester, October 1999 page 1063.

Wow thanks for taking time to do that. I really appriciate that Shadow.

Things, which are rare are interesting to check time to time and I had now a little bit time. When I saw, that Thapar really told about one case in his book I was confident, that some other credible sources has to be there. Indian Forester has some "gems" if just finding hint(s) where to find. And if time to go through material.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Some may not like this but, sometimes thapar likes to sensationalize stories or theories.
I'm not saying he's not a valid source though.

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

(12-30-2019, 02:36 AM)Pckts Wrote: I have a hard time believing a Tigress can inflict enough damage to Kill an adult male but who knows, they are fully capable to kill.

That being said, one of the most impressive Tigress of Ranthambore, Machli, was tossed like a ragdoll by the Nick male * might be a different name* over a kill. It wasn't a matter of if Machli could fight with him, it was a matter of if she continued she'd be dead trying to hold onto her kill.

it was with romeo t6 if i recall correctly and indeed tigresses are capable of killing males but he would have to be off guard sleeping and even then getting a good grip would be a task but idk man i don't buy that account
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Also, the clipping you posted only mentions times it's happened but none of the actual stories provide any proof of that. Who knows what that sentence is based off of.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 03:23 AM by Shadow )

(12-30-2019, 03:04 AM)Pckts Wrote: Also, the clipping you posted only mentions times it's happened but none of the actual stories provide any proof of that. Who knows what that sentence is based off of.

I put what is written and sources, it´s up to people who see those, how credible they keep them. These two are such, that there is possibility to contact sources if wanting to know more. And I think, that Thapar tells more about that case he mentions in some of his other books. @GuateGojira might be able to provide more information and details what happened. Book might be Tiger, Portrait of a predator.

I´ll check later if I can find some other sources clearly mentioning this kind of incidents. Such fights are mentioned in several places, but so far these two have been such, which I consider to have real value, when talking about wild tigers. I think, that more detailed information can be found if knowing where to search or ask.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 03:55 AM by Shadow )

One incident in which tigress Machli fights male tiger in order to protect her cubs. This time not too serious, but also not a friendly fight. Male got uncomfortable looking wound and limped away.

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 04:04 AM by Pckts )

Cuts to the pad are one thing but there was only one dominate animal there. He's trying to mate not kill cubs or her, shes in no position to Kill him while he could of decided to go for the throat at any time.

Here you can see when the male means business and not worried about mating.
This is Machli and Romeo 

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-30-2019, 04:04 AM)Pckts Wrote: Cuts to the pad are one thing but there was only one dominate animal there. He's trying to mate not kill cubs or her, shes in no position to Kill him while he could of decided to go for the throat at any time.

This is Machli and Romeo 

Maybe you missed that I already mentioned, that not too serious fight. Point to share that was to show, that tigresses can fight when protecting cubs. In that case which I shared it was quite obvious, that cubs weren´t right next to adults. Everyone can imagine how some female tiger can behave, when cub is in immediate danger. It has been said in different places, that fights which have caused deaths of males by tigresses have been when cubs have been in danger and male tiger too close. That is also logical, when looking different species. Mothers are often ready to do desperate things fiercely, when cubs are in immediate danger. Tigers seem to be no exception. 

Bringing in fights in which males win proves nothing. That is normal way to go, because they are bigger and stronger. What Thapar told and Indian Forester also mentioned are about incidents, which happen time to time, not all the time.

But let´s see how much more can be found out about these interactions in which tigresses are forced and willing to protect their cubs, there seems to be more to be found, when time to check more closely.

Dennis Offline

(12-29-2019, 04:59 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(12-29-2019, 01:25 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: Hello everyone, wasn’t there some account of a tigress killing a male tiger while she was protecting her cubs? I can’t remember where I read that.

Valmik Thapar is one person who tells about such incident in his book:  Land of the Tiger: A Natural History of the Indian Subcontinent.

Quote from it: 
"However I do know that a tigress once killed an adult male to protect her cubs. The male, who might have been an aggressive transient, was gnawed open and a chunk of his rump eaten."

Chapter: The tiger´s domain and page 261.

"However I do know that a tigress once.." so, Thapar never witnessed this event. He is merely referencing what he heard happen before.
1 user Likes Dennis's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 09:33 AM by Rishi )

(12-30-2019, 04:04 AM)Pckts Wrote: Cuts to the pad are one thing but there was only one dominate animal there. He's trying to mate not kill cubs or her, shes in no position to Kill him while he could of decided to go for the throat at any time.

This is Machli and Romeo 

Have you noticed that submitting tigers are often so aggressive! 
It's rather the dominant animal who moves away, satisfied with establishing dominance & not looking to escalate the situation.

Also, remember a lioness killed her mate &father of 3 cubs at Indianapolis Zoo (October 2018)?... Males don't have Kevlar skin, if an experienced matriarch can get to its throat, it's in trouble.
2 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Sometimes I don't love lions at all.

" Older alpha lion breaks the spine of a younger potentially rival male lion.The young male was later euthanized by the parks veterinary team as recovery was not possible. "

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 11:22 AM by Shadow )

(12-30-2019, 09:20 AM)Rishi Wrote:

This is Machli and Romeo 

Have you noticed that submitting tigers are often so aggressive! 
It's rather the dominant animal who moves away, satisfied with establishing dominance & not looking to escalate the situation.

Also, remember a lioness killed her mate &father of 3 cubs at Indianapolis Zoo (October 2018)?... Males don't have Kevlar skin, if an experienced matriarch can get to its throat, it's in trouble.

If in some situation male tiger can underestimate tigresses determination, capability and will to fight if have to, it´s obviously when tigress defends cubs. Many tigresses might not dare to do that and submit to watch how cubs are killed. But when there is a tigress willing to do all it can to save her cubs, it´s another thing. In such situation it´s easy to think, that male tiger can hesitate split second in wrong place and time and then pays the price, smaller or bigger.

All in all, Thapar writes in his book(s) about one case. Indian Forester mention, that such cases are known to have happened. Some other places also have such indications. People are, as always, free to decide what they keep reliable and what not. I will ask from some places if they can give more information, I hope that someone else does the same too. Maybe this isn´t too difficult mystery after all.