There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Felids Interactions - Intraspecific Conflicts

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(10-07-2020, 12:56 PM)Rage2277 Wrote:

Shashank Saraswat - This family in Ranthambhore of their grand mother T16 aka Machali is carrying forward the same legacy. Arrowhead & her daughter Riddhi fighting for territory !! First of all it’s magical ranthambhore, then its one & only the most beautiful zone.3 of ranthambhore & then it’s the same family of legendary tigress Machali. So these big cats will surely follow the customs & traditions of their great family & taking the glory forward for which they are known for. Do you know this zone is having this history and it’s happening with same family from last more than a decade on same zone.3 of Ranthambhore . There was machli t16 the legendary tigress who was pushed away from this territory by her daughter t17 aka sundari & t19 aka krishna who was also pushed away by her sister t17 then later t17 disappeared all of a sudden and did not discover strangely. Then after t19 krishna came back to this zone, she gave birth to 03 cubs- arrowhead, lighting and one male tiger pacman. Arrowhead was dominating among all siblings & became undisputed queen of this zone.3. Lighting shifted to another tiger reserve Mukundara Hills where she died, male tiger pacman died in a territorial fight with another male & arrowhead remained on this zone, her first litter did not survive then in second litter, she gave birth to two female cubs & now her daughters are pushing arrowhead away.... so the tradition is going same, the glory of Machali still alive, female has the possession of this area & it’s the same family the family of legendary T16 aka Machali that’s why she is knows as the best big cat in world.  riddhi is quite stubborn,she also looks as big as her mother..arrowhead won't be giving up prime territory anytime soon though. ps considering the times you'd think everything would be filmed and uploaded in HD by now  Neutral

5 users Like Rishi's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Kuzma male meets Bira female on an already expected dramatic first courting.

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Sad day in Bandhavgarh, a Legend has died protecting her family.

Jitender Govindani

RIP Solo ( BTR - T42).
Possibly the last pic of Solo clicked by Gagan Narang Ji last week, near Pasari village, of Dhamokar Buffer,  just 100m from the main road. 
As seen in this pic, Solo was badly injured which she would have sustained while fighting with other male tiger to protect her Cubs. She was seen frequently for the last 20 days in the buffer area because of the threat to her Cubs from other male tigers like Bheem & Chakradhara in the core zone as the current Cubs of her were sired by Mangu, who failed to protect neither the Cubs nor his territory which was taken over by the other male tigers.
Though the Forest Department succeeded to push back Solo into the core zone with the help of Elephants, the tigress returned the very next day to the buffer area, clearly stating her intentions of staying away from the core.
Finally, her struggle to protect her Cubs ended today with her and one of her Cubs death. It’s not easy being a tiger and especially the life of a mother tigress. 
May their soul RIP.

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Pckts's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-26-2020, 03:31 PM by Luipaard )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Source: Kruger Magazine (private Facebook group)
5 users Like Luipaard's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Extremely rare, two males and a female jaguar in a confrontation. I think the visibly larger male might've wanted to assert dominance on the other two who could've been mating in his vicinity. The other male and the female appear defensive but at the same time submissive to him.

5 users Like Balam's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

the two look quite young you think he could be their father aswell? they seemed familiar with each other look how comfortable he was digging up dirt and rolling on his side looks like big daddy letting the kids know its time @Balam
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I was guessing a mother and sub adult cub and either an unknown male or father of the cub, most likely father since he seemed to issue more of a warning.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2020, 03:06 PM by Balam )

@Rage2277 @Pckts I don't think so, the people who recorded said it was a two vs one confrontation. I believe the reason why they felt so comfortable on each other's presence, relatively speaking, is because due to the high density of jaguars in the Pantanal and large availability of prey, they have learned to be more tolerant of each other as there are enough resources for everyone to share. I think this also may be why we don't really see that many serious and brutal altercations between jaguars from this region.

The male that was rowling was just really big and dwarfed the one other male and the female. The smaller male was still bigger than the female so I don't think it was her cub.

Here it is Zoomed in, caption says they were fighting for territory:

I haven't been able to ID the jaguars in the clip but I have a feeling that the larger male is the same jaguar from this popular video:

1 user Likes Balam's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2020, 06:01 PM by Shadow )

(10-29-2020, 05:55 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: the two look quite young you think he could be their father aswell? they seemed familiar with each other look how comfortable he was digging up dirt and rolling on his side looks like big daddy letting the kids know its time @Balam

Guide who filmed this tells, that there was a jaguar couple, male and female. Then a lone male jaguar approached and there was some fight and after it the approaching lone male jaguar ran away.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-29-2020, 03:00 PM)Balam Wrote: @Rage2277 @Pckts I don't think so, the people who recorded said it was a two vs one confrontation. I believe the reason why they felt so comfortable on each other's presence, relatively speaking, is because due to the high density of jaguars in the Pantanal and large availability of prey, they have learned to be more tolerant of each other as there are enough resources for everyone to share. I think this also may be why we don't really see that many serious and brutal altercations between jaguars from this region.

The male that was rowling was just really big and dwarfed the one other male and the female. The smaller male was still bigger than the female so I don't think it was her cub.

I haven't been able to ID the jaguars in the clip but I have a feeling that the larger male is the same jaguar from this popular video:

I couldn't see the other male clearly, its definitely 2 males and the small one is the female. 

In regards to Jaguars in the Pantanal, they certainly aren't territorial aggressive in the same way that other big cats are and that is most likely because territories are always changing in the Pantanal. Sandbars that are there one season are gone the next after the floods. But when it comes to breeding rights Jaguars are very aggressive and since the density is so high they often have aggressive encounters. This is shown in how many scarred up dominate males there are.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Pckts jaguars certainly have gruesome encounters in the Pantanal as well, but for things such as access to hunting grounds and resources they appear to be more relaxed as there is enough for everyone. The video above was claimed by the hour guide to have been an altercation for the territory, i haven't read anything about the larger male fleeing or the other two mating. But as can be seen there, even a territorial dispute is handled mostly by intimidation and a quick display of hierarchy. 

In other areas like the Cerrado jaguars seem to be much more territorial and aggressive, perhaps because the terrain is harsher and they don't have as many resources which forces them to compete for what is available.

The reason why the northern Pantanal has the largest concentration of jaguars in the world per km2 is thanks to this abundance of prey. They've become more tolerant of each other, to the point where large unrelated males have been seen resting next to other males. It's an interesting dynamic.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-29-2020, 07:36 PM)Balam Wrote: @Pckts jaguars certainly have gruesome encounters in the Pantanal as well, but for things such as access to hunting grounds and resources they appear to be more relaxed as there is enough for everyone. The video above was claimed by the hour guide to have been an altercation for the territory, i haven't read anything about the larger male fleeing or the other two mating. But as can be seen there, even a territorial dispute is handled mostly by intimidation and a quick display of hierarchy. 

In other areas like the Cerrado jaguars seem to be much more territorial and aggressive, perhaps because the terrain is harsher and they don't have as many resources which forces them to compete for what is available.

The reason why the northern Pantanal has the largest concentration of jaguars in the world per km2 is thanks to this abundance of prey. They've become more tolerant of each other, to the point where large unrelated males have been seen resting next to other males. It's an interesting dynamic.

Large unrelated males have been seen together in all big cat species, when you go to the serengeti for instance you can drive 5-10 minutes and go from one coalition to another. The crater is small as well yet holds a few different coalitions. The Mukki zone holds 4 different territory males. All of them do have similarities to the Pantanal in that they have an abundance of prey. But regardless when mating is involved fights occur, this is especially true in the north where you can have the largest density of big males. You will almost never see a big, prime male who isn't cover in scars and that is due to their constant conflict with eachother.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2020, 08:03 PM by Shadow )

(10-29-2020, 03:00 PM)Balam Wrote: @Rage2277 @Pckts I don't think so, the people who recorded said it was a two vs one confrontation. I believe the reason why they felt so comfortable on each other's presence, relatively speaking, is because due to the high density of jaguars in the Pantanal and large availability of prey, they have learned to be more tolerant of each other as there are enough resources for everyone to share. I think this also may be why we don't really see that many serious and brutal altercations between jaguars from this region.

There is 5 years in between that caiman video and this video with three jaguars, so it would be quite coincidence if one same jaguar. Also fur patterns on head and back don´t seem to match, so it doesn´t look to be same jaguar. It can be seen when comparing, from both videos can be taken some quite good still images.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Shadow maybe, both videos where taken in the same
area of the Pantanal. It's hard to say for sure if they're the same as the quality on the altercation video is low and was taken from a long distance, the markings on the jaguar aren't clear. 

@Pckts I agree with you, they fight more often than some people think. Nonetheless living in such a good area makes them more tolerant of each other regardless.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(10-29-2020, 08:14 PM)Balam Wrote: @Shadow maybe, both videos where taken in the same
area of the Pantanal. It's hard to say for sure if they're the same as the quality on the altercation video is low and was taken from a long distance, the markings on the jaguar aren't clear. 

@Pckts I agree with you, they fight more often than some people think. Nonetheless living in such a good area makes them more tolerant of each other regardless.

When watching worse quality video first and looking in which parts patterns can be seen clearly and then watching better quality video and taking some still images from parts, in which same are can be seen clearly, it´s relatively easy to get good comparisons. I dare to say after quick comparison, that 99% sure that not the same jaguar, nothing in common in certain parts of pattern in head and back. Even though overall appearance has some similarities. 

I have learned to watch several still shots when a moving animal so, that it can be  seen if some rosette or stripe looks different during movement since it happens. But in this case certain parts just didn´t match. I might show later which parts I mean, but now I don´t have time to do comparison photos showing differences.