There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #750: sorry, indeed I have quite confused the answer you made to wolverine with a reaction to what I told before at the #745.

I got things wrong.
2 users Like Spalea's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 05-26-2019, 10:40 AM by Wolverine )

(05-25-2019, 01:06 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 12:44 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 12:14 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

About #743: very impressive photo ! An alpha male baboon  is a very huge beast and seeing one of them so close to a leopard without starting to fight each other is awesome.

Could you imagine what will happen with the cat if on the place of baboon was the ancient mega-baboon Dinopithecus ingens 
weighting up to 100 kg, probably the most terrible primate ever roaming the planet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinopithecus

*This image is copyright of its original author

When looking at that dimensions picture, it just looks odd. It is said, that up to 100 kg, averages much less, then comparing to a human and that looks like something, which should be like 200 kg if not filled with air mostly.

Here is one other picture, where is another extinct primate, estimated to be also up to 100 kg. It looks so different. I wonder if these pictures of dinopithecus are accurate? I mean it looks like bigger than gorilla which after all can be double the weight, which is said about dinopithecus, something just doesn´t feel right now.

This picture is from this site:
https://prehistoric-fauna.com/Theropithecus-oswaldi

Obviously the size of baboon of the lower image is significantly exaggerated by the painter, probably in order to emphasise the horrible nature of the animal, actualy it looks like a creature from horror movie - kind of "werebaboon", its possible that it was created after watching a "Dracula" or listening the music of the Finish singer Tarja Turunen…  Lol
However the image from post #748 even being no doubt more realistic also should not be accepted with 100% trust. It compares average 83 kg man with baboon in its maximal weight (up to 100 kg), both species should be in their average or both in their maximal size. I know from East European forum the guy who created it - we call him "Rom", a Russian artist, very tallanted man, with inspiration and vision, but as long as I know he is not paleontologist or scientist. Neverthelless his images are respected and highly popular in the web. I mean, when we talk about ancient animal we can never be sure how it looked like externally, always with prehistoric beasts the fantasy play significant role.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-26-2019, 08:09 PM by Shadow )

(05-26-2019, 05:54 AM)Wolverine Wrote:

About #743: very impressive photo ! An alpha male baboon  is a very huge beast and seeing one of them so close to a leopard without starting to fight each other is awesome.

Could you imagine what will happen with the cat if on the place of baboon was the ancient mega-baboon Dinopithecus ingens 
weighting up to 100 kg, probably the most terrible primate ever roaming the planet:

When looking at that dimensions picture, it just looks odd. It is said, that up to 100 kg, averages much less, then comparing to a human and that looks like something, which should be like 200 kg if not filled with air mostly.

Here is one other picture, where is another extinct primate, estimated to be also up to 100 kg. It looks so different. I wonder if these pictures of dinopithecus are accurate? I mean it looks like bigger than gorilla which after all can be double the weight, which is said about dinopithecus, something just doesn´t feel right now.

Obviously the size of baboon of the lower image is significantly exaggerated by the painter, probably in order to emphasise the horrible nature of the animal, actualy it looks like a creature from horror movie - kind of "werebaboon", its possible that it was created after watching a "Dracula" or listening the music of the Finish singer Tarja Turunen…  Lol
However the image from post #748 even being no doubt more realistic also should not be accepted with 100% trust. It compares average 83 kg man with baboon in its maximal weight (up to 100 kg), both species should be in their average or both in their maximal size. I know from East European forum the guy who created it - we call him "Rom", a Russian artist, very tallanted man, with inspiration and vision, but as long as I know he is not paleontologist or scientist. Neverthelless his images are respected and highly popular in the web. I mean, when we talk about ancient animal we can never be sure how it looked like externally, always with prehistoric beasts the fantasy play significant role.

I can´t help but it looks like to be grossly exaggerated for me. It would be nice to see some figures about length of bones etc. Maybe he has made a mistake in it, that when talking about shoulder height he has thought when animal is on all fours and it has been meant in reality when standing on hind legs. If that animal would be that big and stand on hind legs, it would over 2 meters based on that picture.

I read that dinopithecus males are estimated to be normally under 50 kg and 100 kg would be then extremely big individual. When comparing to clearly bigger gorillas, that picture of Rom just doesn´t make sense to me. But I haven´t seen any bone measurements of dinopithecus, maybe there are some to justify drawing that animal like that? I mean when thinking about length of those limbs, we would be talking about an animal even in maximum half the weight of big gorilla and still it would be taller and longer limbs?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-26-2019, 02:26 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 05:54 AM)Wolverine Wrote:

I can´t help but it looks like to be grossly exaggerated for me. It would be nice to see some figures about length of bones etc. Maybe he has made a mistake in it, that when talking about shoulder height he has thought when animal is on all fours and it has been meat in reality when standing on hind legs. If that animal would be that big ans stand on hind legs, it would over 2 meters based on that photo.

I read that dinopithecus males are estimated to be normally under 50 kg and 100 kg would be then extremely big individual. When comparing to clearly bigger gorillas, that picture of Rom just doesn´t make sense to me. But I haven´t seen any bone measurements of dinopithecus, maybe there are some to justify drawing that animal like that? I mean when thinking about length of those limbs, we would be talking about an animal even in maximum half the weight of big gorilla and still it would be taller and longer limbs?

But maybe we should continue this discussion in big apes thread.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Debmalya Roy‎ 

T-84 Aka Arrowhead in the process of snatching a sambhar kill from 3 Crocs in Malik Talao - Zone 4. DOP: 22nd May. 2019

This account will be documented in an upcoming Special depending on which broadcast network picks it up.

This was screen grabbed from a story, I have no more info unfortunately.
8 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-29-2019, 07:24 PM by Shadow )

I noticed one older case, looks like to be from 2011. I decided to put it here anyway because it is quite funny and rare incident to see, this jackal should be rewarded by medal of honor or something :) Or professional help for quite unhealthy ego issues... but story tells, that it survived at least that time :)

http://theanimal-zone.blogspot.com/2011/12/come-on-then-if-you-think-youre-hard.html
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

"A Sri Lankan leopard sizes up to a huge 3m/10ft mugger crocodile. In the hours leading up to this standoff, this leopard had been feeding on the buffalo calf kill pictured in this frame. This attracted the attention of a group of mugger crocodiles in a nearby pond. Keen on stealing the leopards meal, one of the crocodiles slowly walked towards the leopard and the kill. Considering the size and armour of this crocodile, I was sure the leopard would immediately back down. I was wrong. The leopard started bluff charging the croc before throwing a punch. As you can see, the crocodile wasn't particularly impressed by being swatted. As the croc opened its mouth in response, the leopard realised it was outgunned and stepped aside to let the croc have its fill!" Source - Bertie Gregory

8 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Eurasian Lynx killed by Amur Tiger

4 users Like Sully's post

Canada Wolverine Away

(05-31-2019, 01:13 AM)Sully Wrote: Eurasian Lynx killed by Amur Tiger

Rare photo! Are there more details?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-31-2019, 01:13 AM)Sully Wrote: Eurasian Lynx killed by Amur Tiger

That is from 2014, here is more information.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2086096-battle-of-the-big-cats-sees-tiger-hunt-and-devour-a-lynx/
5 users Like Shadow's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

"Tiger Arrow Head vs Crocodile.(this happens long time after Machhli)." source

"A young tiger cub watches helplessly as a massive crocodiles feeds on a kill stolen from the tiger.." source

7 users Like Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2019, 01:35 PM by Luipaard )

Young lioness bumps into male leopard

"Leopard sunning on a rock"

"What you don't see in this photo is the female lion sneaking up on the leopard"

"the lion gives up and walks away"

6 users Like Luipaard's post

Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2019, 05:46 AM by Sully )

Leopard chases 5 cheetah's. Note the acceleration of the animal, the cheetah is probably the only animal I'd bet on outpacing a leopard over 20 yards from a static start.

8 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2019, 06:13 AM by Sully )

Though we know relatively little about both species, this suggests there may be regular conflict between the two as livestock make up roughly a quarter of both species' prey, despite their natural inclinations to avoid getting in each others way in favouring different hunting grounds.

"Killing livestock creates conflicts between top predators and pastoral communities, and is a main challenge for conserving snow leopards, which are endangered, and Himalayan wolves, which are rare. These wolves prefer the open grasslands and alpine meadows that are also frequented by pastoral herders, and snow leopards prefer the steep terrain associated with montane pastures. To assess prey preferences of these carnivores, Chetri and colleagues analyzed DNA and hairs in 182 snow leopard scats and 57 wolf scats collected in the Central Himalayas, Nepal.
The researchers found that in keeping with the predators' habitats, snow leopards preferred cliff-dwelling wild prey such as bharal, while wolves preferred plain-dwelling wild prey such as Tibetan gazelles. In addition, livestock comprised 27% of the snow leopard diet and 24% of the wolf diet. Livestock occurred more than twice as frequently in scats from male snow leopards than in scats from females. Although livestock constitutes a substantial proportion of the predator's diets, little is known about the actual predation impact on the pastoral communities. Hence, the researchers' forthcoming work focuses on estimating livestock mortality rates and identifying factors associated with livestock loss."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...150200.htm

And an interview with the man who carried out the study. Interestingly though a quarter of both predator's livestock is prey, this came as a surprise as he expected it to be a much greater percentage based on the reports of the native people.

https://researchnews.plos.org/2017/02/22...nd-wolves/
1 user Likes Sully's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Tiger and Crocodile
Story of Ranthambore documented by our Share Your Safari group participant Mr. Harmit Ahuja during Ranthambore photograpghy tour.
Tigress here is the Arrowhead, After loosing her siblings to crocodile attack she is now very careful and alert . I along with my group members were on full day safaris at Ranthambore. We were blessed with Arrowhead and cubs in zone no 3. She brought her cubs to waterhole to drink water. as she was approaching waterbody she noticed crocodiles immediately she asked her cubs to wait ( also observe cubs behaviour in the video) and she immediately charged on crocodile. Later they waited for about an hour but didnt allow cubs to go near waterbody.
Entire scene was like watching a story. We we're lucky to witness this

Nagzira Amit Dongre

Leopard with wild boar 

Sighting 

NAGZIRA WLS,
NNTR

1 user Likes Pckts's post