There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Comparing Cats: A Discussion of Similarities & Differences

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Polar :

About #58: quite agree with you ! And, anyway, the difference must be quite small.

Nevertheless I am a little bit surprised when you say that both male lions and tigers would run faster than the females. Yes, males are stronger, but being stronger implies to be heavier, so an handicap for running. And when I see some photos of lionesses and tigresses that are almost "gracile" in comparaison, I would have think they run the fastest.

Because, in the human society we speak about "strong sex" and "weak sex" in terms of physical performances, that isn't male chauvinism to state that. But as concerns the wild life, the mammals among wild animals, I seriously think that the females have other assets. And in terms of physical performances, OK males are the strongest, but the females doesn't make up the "weak sex". I wouldn't be surprised to see that they are generally faster.
4 users Like Spalea's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2017, 09:59 PM by Polar )

(09-24-2017, 01:56 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Polar :

About #58: quite agree with you ! And, anyway, the difference must be quite small.

Nevertheless I am a little bit surprised when you say that both male lions and tigers would run faster than the females. Yes, males are stronger, but being stronger implies to be heavier, so an handicap for running. And when I see some photos of lionesses and tigresses that are almost "gracile" in comparaison, I would have think they run the fastest.

Because, in the human society we speak about "strong sex" and "weak sex" in terms of physical performances, that isn't male chauvinism to state that. But as concerns the wild life, the mammals among wild animals, I seriously think that the females have other assets. And in terms of physical performances, OK males are the strongest, but the females doesn't make up the "weak sex". I wouldn't be surprised to see that they are generally faster.

Lionesses and tigresses might seem faster than their male counterparts, but that is because they look more skinnier and less bulkier: we have this natural pre-conception to state that skinnier and smaller animals run faster than larger animals because greater speed is associated with lower weight in our eyes (the bear is a contradiction to this idea). The female counterparts are definitely more flexible back-wise, I'll give you that, just like human females are more flexible than human males when it comes to the hipbone.

There also comes a part where a more flexible running gait can make a big cat faster (such as tiger having a more flexible gait than lion, and thus running faster), but compared with natural muscular/neuro-muscular advantages these differences are nullified in preference of the muscular advantages in males. Male lions, although heavier, also have more muscle mass per body mass and increased neuro-muscular advantages as a result of testosterone, and that gives them a greater turbo than the females.

However, the difference in flexibility is not as significant as the difference in strength/speed/agility/endurance/reflexes between males and females: with the males having a very clear advantage in the latter and females in the former. Male big cats are incredibly flexible as well. So it would be safe to say that there is a "strong" and a "weaker" sex in terms of physicality in the animal world too.
3 users Like Polar's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Polar :

About #60: ok, quite agree ! Nothing more to add or object... Like
2 users Like Spalea's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-23-2017, 05:57 PM by epaiva )

Bengal Tiger paws and claws courtesy of Alan Turner Director of Yorkshire Skeleton Museum

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 05:21 AM by epaiva )

Incredible work of Jaguar hunting a Caiman courtesy of Alan Turner Director of Yorkshire Skeleton Museum, he was inspired to do it after he saw a few videos of Jaguars hunting Caiman in the Pantanal in Brazil

@yorkshire.skeleton.museum

10 users Like epaiva's post

Wildanimal Lover

@epaiva:

About #63: Hell of a job with the bones ! The second photo deforms the proportions... The gavial's front paws seem so frail...
1 user Likes Spalea's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-29-2017, 01:55 AM by Pckts )

I had my cousin remove the lines from the photo's I took in Africa/India that I posted here, this was the final image but we adjusted the pixels so it wouldn't end up blurry like this one.

6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

And the final result hanging in my living room. 

8 users Like Pckts's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(12-31-2017, 12:46 AM)Pckts Wrote: And the final result hanging in my living room. 

Can I buy a copy?

Just joking. Lol
2 users Like Polar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

The Legend of Wagdoh grows!

4 users Like Pckts's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM by Rishi )

Accurate comparison based on actual specimens (n=14)!

(12-01-2017, 06:22 PM)Rishi Wrote: The Laxmi Niwas Palace of Bikaner, Rajasthan (it's a hotel now) built in 1904 before the hunt-ban, has multiple Indian tiger & lion skins by the Maharaja back in the days.
14 of the most prized ones are hung side by side in the Billiard Room.

The head-tail length look very similar to tigers, as Asiatics have long body & short trail. The chest girths seems to be slightly low & the limbs lanky though.

Showing counter-clockwise from entrance:
Right wall..

Facing wall-Right wall..

Left wall-Facing wall..

Entrance wall-Left wall..

Entrance wall..

Wildanimal Lover

Some male lions are very well-built. Their gait makes me think about tigers, yes I dare to say that. The tigers have solid shapes whereas lions seem often emaciated. "Earless" , one of the famous Masai Mara lions, seems to be an exception compared to what we have said.

Earless:

6 users Like Spalea's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Simply Wow.... Earless is one of the biggest lion I have ever seen....
3 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-29-2018, 01:08 PM)Spalea Wrote: Some male lions are very well-built. Their gait makes me think about tigers, yes I dare to say that. The tigers have solid shapes whereas lions seem often emaciated. "Earless" , one of the famous Masai Mara lions, seems to be an exception compared to what we have said.

Earless:

A few more modest ones, I like the full belly look for the ah factor but the normal look gives you a truer representation IMO.

Reinhard Radke Nature Photography

Younger Earless from 2015

Earless at Lookout hill. Nov/2017

Credit to: Brian Everitt

Then him full bellied 

Earless looking very fat after their second buffalo kill in 2 day's he was so fat this day that he didn't move into any shade during the day. Nov/2017 

Credit to: Brian Everitt

I'm not taking anything away from him, he's a big Cat, I just like to be realistic when reviewing single images. Either way he certainly was underappreciated by me, he's an awesome Lion.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Pckts :

About #55: Even on your first photo ("normal look"), it's an impressive male lion. OK, when I told it wasn't emaciated, not skinny, at all, it was perhaps simply because the food is plentiful on the Masai Mara... On your second photo, Earless was younger, perhaps only 3 or 4 years old, according to the fact it would be 7 years old now.

Indeed, male lions are able to so much eat that they will stay quite still during several hours, sometimes panting and suffocating, and I avoided to show an Earless's photo like this. Wink
2 users Like Spalea's post