There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Ngonya Offline

(06-06-2023, 12:37 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Mjejane males possibly looking to expand their territory. One of the Transport Dam males was seen with injuries, the South Shishangeni male was seen alone, and the Eastern Bank male has reportedly not been seen since the events that took place two weeks ago. All five (5) lionesses of the Windmill pride were seen with the Mjejane males recently as well. Still a developing situation by the looks of it.

"Eastern Bank male has reportedly not been seen since the events that took place two weeks ago" ; what was the events that took place two weeks ago?

Mwk85 Offline

(06-06-2023, 03:36 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 12:37 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Mjejane males possibly looking to expand their territory. One of the Transport Dam males was seen with injuries, the South Shishangeni male was seen alone, and the Eastern Bank male has reportedly not been seen since the events that took place two weeks ago. All five (5) lionesses of the Windmill pride were seen with the Mjejane males recently as well. Still a developing situation by the looks of it.

"Eastern Bank male has reportedly not been seen since the events that took place two weeks ago" ; what was the events that took place two weeks ago?

A fight. Jock Safari Lodge reported hearing a battle with roars and noise throughout the night.
1 user Likes Mwk85's post

Gavskrr Offline

Fourways male, he looks a lot like his father Fuller Mane Matshapiri in this photo
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
5 users Like Gavskrr's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(06-06-2023, 07:00 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: Fourways male, he looks a lot like his father Fuller Mane Matshapiri in this photo

He may not have that same dark mane as his brother but he's quite a specimen himself, arguably more impressive than his brother.
5 users Like sik94's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Stompie s28 this morning, Hippo pools was with him, only got sent a pic of him though.
Credit: Tamsyn du Toit

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2023, 01:54 PM by Brahim )

That fourways male has 2 different eye colours makes him very special as it is. Even with humans thats rare, think Alekander the great was meant to have had that eye condition also
4 users Like Brahim's post

Mwk85 Offline

1/2 Mjejane males chasing seven (7) lionesses and one (1) young male. The "Jock's pride" is the name that was shared with the clip but I'm not familiar with them so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Other Mjejane male was stated to still be with the Windmill pride during this.

5 users Like Mwk85's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-06-2023, 02:05 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: 1/2 Mjejane males chasing seven (7) lionesses and one (1) young male. The "Jock's pride" is the name that was shared with the clip but I'm not familiar with them so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Other Mjejane male was stated to still be with the Windmill pride during this.

So by the looks of it they ousted Afsaal males?

Possibly killed EBM ?

Gavskrr Offline

(06-06-2023, 04:29 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 02:05 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: 1/2 Mjejane males chasing seven (7) lionesses and one (1) young male. The "Jock's pride" is the name that was shared with the clip but I'm not familiar with them so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Other Mjejane male was stated to still be with the Windmill pride during this.

So by the looks of it they ousted Afsaal males?

Possibly killed EBM ?

Probably, but there are still many loose points in this story.
1- injured transport dam male, he may have been the target of the fight heard on the night in question.
2- EBM may be keeping a low profile.
3- something already much discussed here, it can happen that lions finish their enemy without major marks, but the two male mjejanes seem to be intact.
one more case where we will only know if it appears or not, that is, with time.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-06-2023, 04:37 PM)Gavskrr Wrote: 1- injured transport dam male, he may have been the target of the fight heard on the night in question.

Small Transport dam male was seen injured/bad condition few months ago, unless this is something new.

Also their territory is north of Jock, not sure if they venture that far south.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(06-06-2023, 08:29 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 07:00 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: Fourways male, he looks a lot like his father Fuller Mane Matshapiri in this photo

He may not have that same dark mane as his brother but he's quite a specimen himself, arguably more impressive than his brother.
He is an stunning male.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

So my friend the other admin is the one who's been speaking to Jock about this but what he told me is that broken nose transport was seen injured idk if that has to do with afsaal males and mjejane or something else.
A fight was heard at night then next day mjejane males are moving in on windmill pride and now they are seen with all windmill pride recently. Eastern Bank hasn't been seen since and South Shishangeni has once I think but alone. Night fight was 17th I think I heard about that and next day 18th May mjejane were seen with Windmill pride in Afsaal males territory. And then today one Mjejane is chasing after the core Jock pride.
6 users Like Brahim's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(06-06-2023, 08:08 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: So my friend the other admin is the one who's been speaking to Jock about this but what he told me is that broken nose transport was seen injured idk if that has to do with afsaal males and mjejane or something else.
A fight was heard at night then next day mjejane males are moving in on windmill pride and now they are seen with all windmill pride recently. Eastern Bank hasn't been seen since and South Shishangeni has once I think but alone. Night fight was 17th I think I heard about that and next day 18th May mjejane were seen with Windmill pride in Afsaal males territory. And then today one Mjejane is chasing after the core Jock pride.

Mjejanes tried their luck expanding west, but the young Jocks were really strong, they failed and lost 1 member, now they switched sides and tried to expand northeast, and they seem to be quite succesful. Unfortunately it looks like they did kill EBM. TPD dont venture thst far south so injuries must be some other males or just fighting his brother for mating rights, because their Napi pride females should be all in heat right now
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Have there been any reports on Dreadlocks since the beating he took?  I know it was assumed he would succumb to those injuries, but lions are always full of surprises.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita KNP update

The Shishangaan Pride has been seen regularly this last month. The five cubs are growing up quickly. They are estimated to be between three and four months of age and are very cute. Fortunately, this pride has been moving around an area close to camp. One of our guides saw a lioness from the Shishangaan Pride heading up onto the Granophyre Ridge and he thought that he heard young cubs vocalizing from there, so it is possible that there are new cubs in amongst those rocks. If that is the case then we should start seeing them in a few weeks. This last month we have witnessed the Shish lioness feeding on two waterbuck, one wildebeest, and one impala. 

The Trichardt males have been seen regularly this last month. They have often been seen in the company of the Shish lionesses and cubs (the Trichardt males are the fathers of the cubs).
Sightings of the Mananga Pride have been quite scarce this last month. We assume that after Xihamham (one of the Shish males) was killed last month by the Trichardt males, the Mananga Pride has been nervous. (Xihamham was one of the dominant males over the Mananga Pride). They are obviously aware that the only remaining Shish lion is quite vulnerable now (to other males who may want to take over the territory). Should new males come into the area all the young members of the Mananga Pride would be at risk of being killed by the new males. In fact, one morning this month the two Trichardt males were seen returning from the area where the Mananga Pride normally resides and we later found the carcass of one of the Mananga sub-adults / juvenile males. We assume that the Trichardt males killed him. For a while we did not see the Mananga Pride at all and then finally they reappeared, coming out of Mozambique. Perhaps they were hiding out there until the conditions stabilized? Towards the end of the month, we saw some of the Mananga lionesses with an unknown adult male.

The Maputo male was found one morning in the central area of the concession. We had not seen this lion for a while before this and assumed that he has been in Mozambique. On the day that we saw him he was limping and did have a few fresh wounds on his back legs. When he got mobile that evening he was roaring loudly. He seems to be more confident now, and by roaring, is obviously trying to establish himself in the area again. Perhaps he knows that Xihamham is now dead and gone? Towards the end of the month we found him again, close to Gudzani Dam. He was lying next to a carcass of a large bull kudu. Since the carcass was almost finished and the lion’s belly was not that full we assumed that he stole the carcass from the Mananga lionesses.

The other Shish male (Xihamham’s coalition partner) was only seen on one occasion this last month. He was seen with one of the Mananga lionesses and they were on the far north-western part of the concession.
Towards the end of the month we came across five unknown young male lions (still with Mohican hair styles – three to four year olds) near the Sticky Thorn thickets. There was also a lioness with them. We were not sure if it was one of the lionesses from the Shish Pride or from Mananga Pride. The lioness was seen mating with one of the males. These male lions are unknown to us and are obviously not from this area as they were quite shy of the vehicle.
5 users Like Potato's post