There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Comparing Cats: A Discussion of Similarities & Differences

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2018, 03:22 PM by Rishi )

(05-16-2018, 10:01 PM)Pckts Wrote: I've compared these two before but figured I'd show them here as well..
Both with little body fat

*This image is copyright of its original author

Only problem with this type of comparisons (@Pantherinae I'm not saying they're not really good), is that there's no way to do justice to their sizes...

For all we know, Khali could have been six inches taller than that lion!
2 users Like Rishi's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-17-2018, 10:05 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 10:01 PM)Pckts Wrote: I've compared these two before but figured I'd show them here as well..

Only problem with this type of comparisons (@Pantherinae I'm not saying they're not really good), is that there's no way to do justice to their sizes...

For all we know, Khali could ave been six inches taller than that lion!

Of course Rishi we have no clue, it's just so that we can compare the buildt of the cats if they had equal height, as stated I have no idea about the size of these individuals, so I put them at equal height so that I can stay fair to both animals. 

The tiger is Riyakassa from Pench btw.
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

United States Siegfried Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Obtained online. I do not recall the source. I make no claims about it.
4 users Like Siegfried's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Siegfried :

About #73: photos super ! Like 

The lion's mane which nevertheless allows us to see the entire forelimb, two magnificent males, perfect !

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-17-2018, 03:01 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 10:05 AM)Rishi Wrote:

For all we know, Khali could ave been six inches taller than that lion!

Of course Rishi we have no clue, it's just so that we can compare the buildt of the cats if they had equal height, as stated I have no idea about the size of these individuals, so I put them at equal height so that I can stay fair to both animals. 

The tiger is Riyakassa from Pench btw.

Even comparing at "equal height" really serves no purpose since we'd have to know distance from the camera, camera settings and height of the shot.
But none the less, it's still fun to do.
2 users Like Pckts's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

These are from Sunny a while back

I'd guess the Tiger was closer to the camera on both shots or the zoomed in further, but who knows for sure.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-28-2018, 01:19 PM by Shir Babr )

Tiger anatomy. Drawings by the great Charles R. Knight (1945).
6 users Like Shir Babr's post

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned

(09-20-2017, 11:52 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 11:39 PM)Pckts Wrote: I think the rounder features are more along the line of Leopard and Jaguars, a lion's longer muzzle and mane take away from the "rounder features" that you determine as cute.

When you see both in the wild, there is no cuteness about them though, both have a serious and dangerous look, Tigers have a much more uneasy feeling, you can't take your eyes off of them because you feel their unpredictable nature, Lions have an uninterested confidence, you forget that you're looking at a Killing machine and get caught up in their easy going nature. Both can turn in the drop of a hat but they present it in very different ways.

The Amur tiger got the roundest feature overall, since their muzzle is proportionally the broadest of all big cats.

BTW, the male lion's appearance is in line with their nature; it is a dangerous powerful beast with a rough look.

However, the Amur tiger's appearance can be deceptive to their nature; it is a dangerous powerful beast with a somewhat cute and housecat look.

I also think the Amur tiger with its rounder facial structure and fluffy coat is "cuter" than the Bengal tiger which reminds you a housecat, but they are just equally as lethal and dangerous.

That's why many people also used to underestimate the potential lethality of the giant panda.

Eh, im not sure about that, i find the bengal tiger very cute lol.
1 user Likes paul cooper's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(07-07-2018, 02:16 PM)paul cooper Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 11:52 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 11:39 PM)Pckts Wrote: I think the rounder features are more along the line of Leopard and Jaguars, a lion's longer muzzle and mane take away from the "rounder features" that you determine as cute.

When you see both in the wild, there is no cuteness about them though, both have a serious and dangerous look, Tigers have a much more uneasy feeling, you can't take your eyes off of them because you feel their unpredictable nature, Lions have an uninterested confidence, you forget that you're looking at a Killing machine and get caught up in their easy going nature. Both can turn in the drop of a hat but they present it in very different ways.

The Amur tiger got the roundest feature overall, since their muzzle is proportionally the broadest of all big cats.

BTW, the male lion's appearance is in line with their nature; it is a dangerous powerful beast with a rough look.

However, the Amur tiger's appearance can be deceptive to their nature; it is a dangerous powerful beast with a somewhat cute and housecat look.

I also think the Amur tiger with its rounder facial structure and fluffy coat is "cuter" than the Bengal tiger which reminds you a housecat, but they are just equally as lethal and dangerous.

That's why many people also used to underestimate the potential lethality of the giant panda.

Eh, im not sure about that, i find the bengal tiger very cute lol.

I think they are more intimidating looking than the Amur tigers.

The Amur tigers can be very lethal as well, but their fluffy appearance can just mislead a lot of people.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-07-2018, 08:35 PM by Shir Babr )

(07-07-2018, 07:53 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: their fluffy appearance can just mislead a lot of people.

Well that's the difference between ignorant people and those without logical thinking from those who have some degree of knowledge or just common sense to not see a big predator as a toy. The first see a round head and think of things to pet, the later see powerful muscles and a deadly bite.
1 user Likes Shir Babr's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-18-2018, 11:41 PM by epaiva )

African Lion skeleton (male)
Credit to @natural_selections

5 users Like epaiva's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2018, 12:37 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(07-07-2018, 08:34 PM)Shir Babr Wrote:
(07-07-2018, 07:53 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: their fluffy appearance can just mislead a lot of people.

Well that's the difference between ignorant people and those without logical thinking from those who have some degree of knowledge or just common sense to not see a big predator as a toy. The first see a round head and think of things to pet, the later see powerful muscles and a deadly bite.

Yep, I just don't buy the meme that "Bengals are aggressive while Amurs are less aggressive".

They are both tigers, just equally as aggressive and predatory, and Amur tigers' fluffy appearance is generally not as intimidating looking as the Bengal tigers, but that's just a misperception from many people. Since the Bengal tigers overlapped more within the human territories, hence they have historically caused more casualties. And if the Amur tigers lived in the same territories, they would have done the same thing. When their natural prey base has been dwindled, they would intrinsically target on more substantial and easy preys like the humans.

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Tiger.

5 users Like Shir Babr's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Lion and eland.

5 users Like Shir Babr's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I'm curious as to how captive big cats compare physically with their wild brothers and sisters. I understand that being dependent on the individual people caring for them, that some captive zoo or circus big cats will be healthier than others. But overall, on average, would the captive animals be healthier than those living in the wild?
1 user Likes brotherbear's post