There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Captive Lion and Tiger weights

United States stoja9 Offline
Banned

Pictures like this are just awe inspiring. Look at huge his head is and his teeth are, compared to a human. It's incredible and terrifying all at once.
1 user Likes stoja9's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Santa Barbara Zoo

• Was born in September 1998 at the Indianapolis Zoo
  • Is considered geriatric (elderly) at age 18
  • Had cataract surgery in both eyes in February 2010
  • Is “small” compared to other male lions, weighing “only” 305 pounds
  • Has reduced vision in both eyes, but can see movement and shapes
http://www.sbzoo.org/animals/african-lion/

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Recently, media representatives from the Twin Cities and neighboring South Dakota were present to document the move of a 3 1/2 year old, 350 pound male lion from a local farm to an accredited sanctuary in Mississippi by The Wildcat Sanctuary.

http://www.wildcatsanctuary.org/tws-rescues-a-350-lb-lion-from-rural-minnesota/

Taiwan Betty Offline

A team of surgeons successfully removed the lens from a 330-pound male lion¿s eye. Joseph, a 17-year-old big cat, began squinting in May of this year and staff at Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, Florida knew they had to...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1203219/Florida-vets-rescued-330-lb-lion-sight-saving-surgery.html

Taiwan Betty Offline

Virginia Zoological Park

African Lion

Our male lion, Mramba weighs 364 pounds, and has a laid back nature. Zola, the Zoo’s female lion, is Mramba’s mate. She weighs 344 pounds, is quick tempered and likes playing with balls and cones. Our lions are very vocal, and their roars can be heard across the Zoo.

http://virginiazoo.org/animals-plants/animals/mammals/

2 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2017, 10:51 AM by Betty )

Hitachishi Kamine Zoo

male lion weight 183.5kg.

Taiwan Betty Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM by Betty )

Okinawa Zoo

a male lion weight 172kg, Body length of about 2.5 m, age 6 years old.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK1D5TGZK1DUEHF01P.html

Taiwan Betty Offline

Obihiro Zoo

4-year-old male lion weighing 147kg.

https://twitter.com/chieko_mutsuki/media

Taiwan Betty Offline

Kyoto City Zoo

The 20-year-old male lion weight 148kg.

http://www5.city.kyoto.jp/zoo/enjoy/breeder-blog/vet/20140120-9996.html

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-27-2017, 11:03 AM by Rishi )

@Garfield Welcome back & thanks for the background info. 
@Betty had posted what he could get his hands on (mostly sick lions get tranquilised & weighed while treatment).

Research, find NEW data & share them, instead of complaining. I for one a not interested in seeing 700lbs of flabs like Simba or Jaipur...
But don't undermine someone's hard work.
3 users Like Rishi's post

United States Garfield Offline
Banned

I thought y'all new that, I mean a lot a male tigers are neutered, lions ain't that much cuz theyd lose the mane.  A

I'll contact some of the lion guys about Jaipur, Im not 100% sure if its neutered, but i thought it was, Assad or Counter might know.  Maybe ask the trainer or email her, she would probally tell you.  Cats just dont gain weight like that in the stomach the way jaipur is unless hes neutered, i mean like not that much.

Here's a big neutered bro at Sarasota.

1 user Likes Garfield's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Betty  --> Very good job, your work is much appreciated. Keep them coming.

@Garfield --> This thread is about captive tiger and lion weight. If you have captive weights with link then share them. If not don't post here.

@Rishi -->  starfox is a highly biased individual, who keeps downgrading tigers all over Internet (Facebook, forums, blogs, YouTube etc) for years.
1 user Likes Apollo's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-27-2017, 11:27 PM by Pckts )

(09-27-2017, 10:31 PM)Garfield Wrote: I thought y'all new that, I mean a lot a male tigers are neutered, lions ain't that much cuz theyd lose the mane.  A

I'll contact some of the lion guys about Jaipur, Im not 100% sure if its neutered, but i thought it was, Assad or Counter might know.  Maybe ask the trainer or email her, she would probally tell you.  Cats just dont gain weight like that in the stomach the way jaipur is unless hes neutered, i mean like not that much.

You mean a lot of "N. american Tigers" used in "sanctuaries" are neutered, don't you?

Sanctuaries don't breed, buy, sell or trade animals, Zoos do. Then there is also the difference between accredited and unaccredited zoos. (AZA Grants) are only offered to Zoo's that meet certain standards, Roadside zoos or sanctuaries don't operate under these specific requirements, especially not roadside zoo's which are nothing more than average people who purchased exotic wildlife irresponsibly. International Zoos

Amnon has done a wonderful job of posting 100s of in tact tigers and lions from many Zoo's same w/Betty.
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-zoos-ci...ty?page=10
2 users Like Pckts's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-28-2017, 05:01 AM by Pckts )

(09-28-2017, 03:36 AM)Garfield Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 11:26 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 10:31 PM)Garfield Wrote: I thought y'all new that, I mean a lot a male tigers are neutered, lions ain't that much cuz theyd lose the mane.  A

You mean a lot of "N. american Tigers" used in "sanctuaries" are neutered, don't you?

Sanctuaries don't breed, buy, sell or trade animals, Zoos do. Then there is also the difference between accredited and unaccredited zoos. (AZA Grants) are only offered to Zoo's that meet certain standards, Roadside zoos or sanctuaries don't operate under these specific requirements, especially not roadside zoo's which are nothing more than average people who purchased exotic wildlife irresponsibly. International Zoos

Amnon has done a wonderful job of posting 100s of in tact tigers and lions from many Zoo's same w/Betty.

Hey dude is that a question or a lecture.  I told you bros months ago that i was gonna step up my game an get into some studyin bout these cats.  Well I done it, just like I said.  Cant ya tell.  Just lookin fo some respect here, wanna keep everything here nice and fair and accurate.

Now as far as the zoos and the bigcat places, I never went to some road side zoo, dont no bout those.  The place I went to they said they don't neuter the cats there, they dont believe it, they said they think its wrong because its not natural.

NOw, as far as that place you went to, Lions tigers and da bears, they said they neuter them cats, big time.  But the lion Bakari was not neutered cuz he have that mane, and you have to keep that bro.  Bakari was heavier than all the tigers, but he small.  I think it depends on the place, but fo sure trainers that have to work with them for shows they might have to eliminate the dangerous aggresion.

Now as far as Janipur, dont know yet, I think the things neutered, I mean it just looks it, cuz it has all that fat collecting down low on the belly, an that just not natural.  Not all them neutered boys get that fat, but if they stuff them, they will get fatter than any normal tiger or lion ever could. Because the pounds stay on you, its like a guy who just eats an eats, an sits around on the porch, an like his matabolism slows, so then the pounds just collect an they just dont come off till he can change that metab an then his body starts burning things naturally on its own.  But ya gut a get up an move, an build some muscle an testosterone, them neutered cats have no testosterone, so they cant burn no fat.
Where did you get that the lion was "small?''
He's a good sized lion, as large as any other lions I have seen from any of the zoos and sanctuaries I've been to, just much more heavy.
He was heavier than the two tigers there, yes, but the other male lion who was larger in frame was the same size as the other two tigers in weight, one of which was still a sub adult, but still, the heaviest male lion was a robust cat. But the sub adult Tiger and the White lion were the largest in frame just not the most robust, the white tiger was just as robust as the heavy male lion, just not very large in frame. The most impressive captive cats I've seen still to this day were at the Mirage in Vegas, both the lions and tigers there are very large. In SD and LA zoos, they only have Sumatran Tigers and the Lions are normal sized from what I've seen in captivity.

I'm well aware of the affects of testosterone, hence it was me who told you about the affects in our discussions, was it not?
An intact cat will be just as heavy and look much more physically impressive, it is up to the sanctuary to decrease their food if they are neutered since their "RER" (resting energy intake) is much less.
Thinking a neutered cat will weigh more than an intact cat is incorrect, the largest cats on earth are wild ones, you have some exceptions here and there but they are usually obese for any cat, neutered or not. Jaipur, Simba, Hercules etc. are all exceptions and extremely overweight, that's why looking through this thread you're only able to see verified cats between 180-250kg, anything over that is exceptional, neutered or not.

But the infatuation of captive Lion and Tiger weights is pointless IMO, it's fun to discuss but holds no merit when talking about true size. Do you see anyone asking about captive leopard size? Puma? Jaguar? Elephant? Rhino? etc.
No, because no one cares, but since L v T is such a highly contested debate, people seem to care too much. The fact is, in captivity the animals are selected from an extremely limited gene pool and live in a controlled setting. Most importantly, they will never live by survival of the fittest and thus they will never compare physically to their wild counterparts. Maybe like humans, over time they will become more intelligent but physically they will only be shadows of what they are in the wild.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert

(09-28-2017, 09:24 AM)Garfield Wrote:

(09-28-2017, 06:31 AM)paul cooper Wrote:
(09-28-2017, 03:36 AM)Garfield Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 11:26 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Hey dude is that a question or a lecture.  I told you bros months ago that i was gonna step up my game an get into some studyin bout these cats.  Well I done it, just like I said.  Cant ya tell.  Just lookin fo some respect here, wanna keep everything here nice and fair and accurate.

Now as far as the zoos and the bigcat places, I never went to some road side zoo, dont no bout those.  The place I went to they said they don't neuter the cats there, they dont believe it, they said they think its wrong because its not natural.

NOw, as far as that place you went to, Lions tigers and da bears, they said they neuter them cats, big time.  But the lion Bakari was not neutered cuz he have that mane, and you have to keep that bro.  Bakari was heavier than all the tigers, but he small.  I think it depends on the place, but fo sure trainers that have to work with them for shows they might have to eliminate the dangerous aggresion.

Now as far as Janipur, dont know yet, I think the things neutered, I mean it just looks it, cuz it has all that fat collecting down low on the belly, an that just not natural.  Not all them neutered boys get that fat, but if they stuff them, they will get fatter than any normal tiger or lion ever could. Because the pounds stay on you, its like a guy who just eats an eats, an sits around on the porch, an like his matabolism slows, so then the pounds just collect an they just dont come off till he can change that metab an then his body starts burning things naturally on its own.  But ya gut a get up an move, an build some muscle an testosterone, them neutered cats have no testosterone, so they cant burn no fat.

Maybe you should step up your grammar..

Bakari? What? lol Bakari is an exception.

Quote:No bro, I dont recall hearing about the effects of testosterone from you.  But I no this, your wrong about neutered cats weighing less, everyone knows if you over feed the neutered ones, they will pack on the pounds and it wont just come off.  Tigers dont exist as heavy as Jaipur in the wild, because theyre not neutered.  An these sanctuaries dont over feed the cats whether theyre neutered or not bro.  You know how much money that will cost ya?  That lady that owned Jaipur was some kind of trainer, she probably worked with that thing, an she neutered  it so it was safer for handling then she stuffed it to set a record.  There was a non neutered lion named Brutus that hit 900lbs, its on Starfox's site, Id have to get the link from him, but he hasnt gotten back to me yet on whether Jaipur is neutered, I would say this.  Ask the trainer, or show a pic of the tigers balls.  I bet it doest have any. 

An can you tell me the name of the white tiger that you think was as robust as Bakari, or show a pic of him?  I want a check this out, I bet it wasn't.  Bakari looks small in the videos you see an in the pics you showed.  Bonedigger has stunted growth, an he weighs 500lbs.  Lions weigh more for their size, or at least they often can.  An yeah bro, no kiddin tigers are usually longer an stuff an sometimes taller, happens all the time in these places, they have Siberian mixed in most all of them.
"You know how much money that will cost ya?" That is irrelevant and that kind of logic cannot be used in this... I can afford a pet tiger..

"That lady that owned Jaipur was some kind of trainer, she probably worked with that thing, an she neutered  it so it was safer for handling then she stuffed it to set a record."
Really? Is this the only thing you can come up with? Also, You are contradicting yourself.. Look what you just said the sentence before: "You know how much money that will cost ya?" You know how much money it will cost her?..
There is no proof that Brutus hit 900 lbs, It was most likely an over exaggeration. (Or just plain propaganda) In Starfoxes "evidence" it shows a pic of the lion in a cage and it doesn't look too big..

Bonedigger? Bonedigger is neutered and was never weighed.. Big lions are an exception.

Huh, I could of sworn somebody just made no sense whatsoever.   Bro think before you speak man.  Sancturaries cannot afford to over feed 100 different lions and tigers.  But one trainer can afford to over feed one fat neutered tiger.  You gettin that?  If she wants to over feed Jaipur she could, but she couldn't over feed 50 Jaipurs, dats da point bro. 

No proof Brutus hit 900lbs, really, well theres proof he hit 870lbs, thats close enough for me.  Theres not just a pic bro, there is link there to I believe, it was weighed in court.  An yes most all cats are weighed by the Vets, Bonedigger was said to be 500lbs, hes not neutered.

Barcroft TV states hes 500lbs right here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1BvtJ8ktB4

Hi, I would be careful of stating this lion is 500 pounds based on that video. Bonedigger was in another video stated to be 350 pounds not 500 lb so I would take there statement with a grain of salt.

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=WWLGP7NX
2 users Like Kingtheropod's post