There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Captive Lion and Tiger weights

India Hello Offline

what drugs are the keepers on

1 user Likes Hello's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(03-08-2020, 04:11 PM)Hello Wrote: what drugs are the keepers on

That youtube channel is full of crap. I don´t take seriously any content it has. Nicely edited ****.

India Hello Offline

500 pound Razi
https://abcnews.go.com/US/razi-10-year-african-lion-diagnosed-epilepsy-dies/story?id=64242311

*This image is copyright of its original author

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 07:45 PM by Hello )

Tau(left) and Nkosi(Right) at 4 years .Tau weighed 265 kg at 3-4 years old while Inkosi weighed 270 kg at time of his death.
2 users Like Hello's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert

Hello Everyone

I recently got in contact with Krystal Bergeron, which worked at Bergerons exotic animal sanctuary many years ago. She currently now works at 'Final Touch Construction Clean up' which is how I made contact with her.

I asked her if she knew if Thor the tiger which allegedly weighed 450 kgs was actually weighed, here is the message I got...

6 users Like Kingtheropod's post

India Hello Offline

(03-11-2020, 02:42 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: Hello Everyone

I recently got in contact with Krystal Bergeron, which worked at Bergerons exotic animal sanctuary many years ago. She currently now works at 'Final Touch Construction Clean up' which is how I made contact with her.

I asked her if she knew if Thor the tiger which allegedly weighed 450 kgs was actually weighed, here is the message I got...

Is he a Siberian-Bengal hybrid?

Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 10:14 AM by Kingtheropod )

(03-11-2020, 09:52 AM)Hello Wrote:

According to a post I saw on the old AVA forum, he was a purebred Siberian.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 05:25 PM by Shadow )

(03-11-2020, 10:00 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 09:52 AM)Hello Wrote:

According to a post I saw on the old AVA forum, he was a purebred Siberian.

So Thor is very obese tiger or mistake in weighing. Are there any photos of him to know which explanation is valid?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

When we are talking about sanctuaries for animals and weights of those animals, like in this video and what comes to that tiger claimed to be 450 kg, Thor. It´s good to watch this video and remember that it´s not good to believe all claims just like that. Here sanctuary owner/staff claims, that they have a lioness over 400 kg heavy (soon after 2:30). He lies just like that and he has to do it on purpose, whatever is the reason. it´s impossible to think, that these people would know nothing about lions. So only question which remains (for me) is, that why these people lie on purpose?

I believe just as much that person telling, that the lioness is over 400 kg as I believe, that Thor would be legit 450 kg tiger unless I see a photo or video of him showing, that he is clearly obese, when that weight would be at least close to realistic. Knowing, that Jaipur was a bit over 420 kg and so obese, that it´s difficult to watch photos of him, I doubt, that Thor was even closely that heavy. Big and fit tigers are after all around 250-300 kg. I don´t think, that private sanctuaries have some secret gigantic tiger subspecies to raise, they just aren´t shy when exaggerating to get more visitors and publicity (=more money).

People, as usual, are free to believe what they want, but my advice is the same as one biologist gave to me: Don´t believe everything you read or hear :)
2 users Like Shadow's post

India Hello Offline

@Shadow I contacted givskud zoo,The biologist said both Tau and Nkosi were twins

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 02:29 AM by peter )

(03-11-2020, 07:52 PM)Shadow Wrote:

When we are talking about sanctuaries for animals and weights of those animals, like in this video and what comes to that tiger claimed to be 450 kg, Thor. It´s good to watch this video and remember that it´s not good to believe all claims just like that. Here sanctuary owner/staff claims, that they have a lioness over 400 kg heavy (soon after 2:30). He lies just like that and he has to do it on purpose, whatever is the reason. it´s impossible to think, that these people would know nothing about lions. So only question which remains (for me) is, that why these people lie on purpose?

I believe just as much that person telling, that the lioness is over 400 kg as I believe, that Thor would be legit 450 kg tiger unless I see a photo or video of him showing, that he is clearly obese, when that weight would be at least close to realistic. Knowing, that Jaipur was a bit over 420 kg and so obese, that it´s difficult to watch photos of him, I doubt, that Thor was even closely that heavy. Big and fit tigers are after all around 250-300 kg. I don´t think, that private sanctuaries have some secret gigantic tiger subspecies to raise, they just aren´t shy when exaggerating to get more visitors and publicity (=more money).

People, as usual, are free to believe what they want, but my advice is the same as one biologist gave to me: Don´t believe everything you read or hear :)

Agreed on the maximum weight of captive tigers (and lions) in zoos and the remarks on the size of exceptional individuals in private facilities. I don't think it's superfluous to underline that a fit lion or tiger exceeding 250 kg. and 290 cm. in total length in a straight line is a very large animal. 

Rumour has it Varty now has a male tiger " ... well exceeding 300 kg. ... " (quote from a recent post in this thread). His cats have room to move and seem more active than elsewhere. As some tigers have been weighed in the past, chances are they know a bit more about weights. As far as I know, the heaviest male tiger they had was 229 kg. The other males ranged between 180-210 kg. roughly.  

My guess is Varty would be willing to answer a few questions on weight.
4 users Like peter's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(03-11-2020, 08:01 PM)Hello Wrote: @Shadow I contacted givskud zoo,The biologist said both Tau and Nkosi were twins

Yes, they are full brothers as far as I know. Then again Tau is father of Aslan and Aragorn, but different mothers. That explain partially why Aragorn was so much smaller than Aslan. Tau, Nkosi and Aslan are without a doubt quite exceptional lions what comes to size. Hopefully something more could be found out what comes to lion Chaos and tiger Twist in South Africa, but so far no answers from those zoos.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 12:31 AM by Kingtheropod )

I'm pretty sure the person in that video is confusing pounds with kilograms.

1 user Likes Kingtheropod's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Thor is the son of Sabre. The website is long gone but Sabre was even larger at 481 kg. Thor also had a similar sized brother, Thunder. All the tigers were quite overweight but Sabre did have a massive frame. There used to be a photo of him where just his body was as long or longer than a couch. Only image I could find was this:

Even if Sabre was carrying 300 lbs/136 kg of extra weight, he'd still be massive.

The snapshot of wild cat weights are small and skewed by human pressures. As such, I recommend to not disregard a weight if it doesn't a preformed picture of what is reality. After all, during the existence of modern man true lions and tigers with skulls exceeding 18 inches existed (the Natodomeri lion and Kahayan tiger).
3 users Like tigerluver's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 02:04 AM by Shadow )

(03-12-2020, 01:58 AM)tigerluver Wrote: Thor is the son of Sabre. The website is long gone but Sabre was even larger at 481 kg. Thor also had a similar sized brother, Thunder. All the tigers were quite overweight but Sabre did have a massive frame. There used to be a photo of him where just his body was as long or longer than a couch. Only image I could find was this:

Even if Sabre was carrying 300 lbs/136 kg of extra weight, he'd still be massive.

The snapshot of wild cat weights are small and skewed by human pressures. As such, I recommend to not disregard a weight if it doesn't a preformed picture of what is reality. After all, during the existence of modern man true lions and tigers with skulls exceeding 18 inches existed (the Natodomeri lion and Kahayan tiger).

Well, that site doesn´t have even Jaipur right, so it tells quite a lot of reliability of that site and weights. It´s easy to have a 400-500 kg tiger, all it takes is to say so, when owner of some private sanctuary. No wonder, that so many people assume, that 300 kg would be nothing for tigers, when that kind of sites have done "good work".
1 user Likes Shadow's post