There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a Lone Male Lion have a successful predation on a Adult Bull Buffalo?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-16-2020, 10:10 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 10:05 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 09:52 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 09:39 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 09:33 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 09:11 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 08:56 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 08:45 PM)Shadow Wrote: In some way this thread is already unnecessary or obsolete.

This case made it already a long time ago clear, that it happens sometimes.

We have also that lioness, who killed alone a cape buffalo bull from Londolozi. And some other cases. So it´s about it, that how often and how difficult/easy it is. Have some lions learned how to do it better than others. For sure that is part of it, some really have learned better.

And when talking about easy... well, here it can be said, that practically 1 hyena takes down cape buffalo bull with minimal effort. It´s brutal, but it makes big cats to look like amateurs. No wonder that lions often sit if surrounded by hyena clan.

Anyway at this point it´s not about it, that if, but how often, how easy/difficult and which lions maybe are better with buffalos than others.
The 22 hr ordeal had multiple Lions 
"[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]Published on Dec 19, 2007[/color]

[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]It was now 22 hours later and the buffalo bull the lions attacked yesterday was still alive. With the bull downed a lion feeds at its rump but when the pain becomes too much the buffalo rallies and gets to his feet but only barely. The lion hangs on and realising he isn't getting anywhere goes for the buffalo's achilles tendon downing the bull again. Will he survive another 22 hours?"[/color]

And no way can a lone lioness prey on a big alpha bull, again there are major differences between a bull and a big healthy alpha.

Hyena could probably have a better chance since their bites do more damage and they target genitals which can put the bull in shock, also being smaller makes them a harder target.
But again, that is multiple attackers extending a fight over a period of time.

That seems to be a typo, that "lions", I mean this video was about that same case and no other lions anywhere.

Description: "This battle of the beasts has lasted over 20minutes and this is the last few. The bull is down but not out, but has he got enough to free himself? Finally the lion goes in for the kill but he under-estimates the bulls will to survive as the bull tosses him away. The lion leaves but later in the night they finished off the deed."

Or do you have more information about this case? I see only one lion and descriptions don´t give any hint about other lions.

Anyway there are more than one case so in that way this thread looks like to be old news.
The bull had been attacked by lions prior to the video beginning.
It had been battling for some time, which is obvious with it being a 22hr battle yet only 2 minutes of footage.

So where is told, that attacked by lions before this? Have you seen often, that only one lion is there killing a buffalo if there is whole pride or coalition nearby and buffalo is down? I don´t buy that explanation unless you have some source to confirm it. That guy on the video mention nothing about other lions.
Sure, lions abandon kills or leave it to males to finish or they're still there and help out later as its stated the bull still fights on.
The flip side is, have you ever seen a healthy bull like that be subdued by a lone lion, especially not even have the strength to stand?
You have to know that this fight has been going on for some time and that buffalo has been exhausted and injured.
If 3 large males can't overpower a healthy bull, what chance would a single lion have unless there are extenuating circumstances.
On top of all of that, it's already stated that "lions" had been attacking this bull for 22hrs.

Both headlines are lion and buffalo, not lions. The person talking tells nothing about other lions. That case is for me a clear case in which a male lion alone kills a cape buffalo bull. And obviously you don´t have any additional information concerning this case.

Drop down the description, they clearly state "lions" then "lion" for this scene.

I´ve seen descriptions but I´ve seen or heard nothing else about possible other lions. That one word in description, but maybe it can be asked from this person. They were there quite a long time and no other lions, so it´s hard to understand what other lions would be doing when there is easy meal around.

And what comes to it, that what it proves if some lions fail to do something in the group....

"Amateurs"

"Professional"

But now I have to do other things for some time :) Maybe we get some conclusive information about that one case later, it might be still possible.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-16-2020, 10:14 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 10:11 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 08:45 PM)Shadow Wrote: In some way this thread is already unnecessary or obsolete.

We have also that lioness, who killed alone a cape buffalo bull from Londolozi. And some other cases. So it´s about it, that how often and how difficult/easy it is. Have some lions learned how to do it better than others. For sure that is part of it, some really have learned better.

And when talking about easy... well, here it can be said, that practically 1 hyena takes down cape buffalo bull with minimal effort. It´s brutal, but it makes big cats to look like amateurs. No wonder that lions often sit if surrounded by hyena clan.

Anyway at this point it´s not about it, that if, but how often, how easy/difficult and which lions maybe are better with buffalos than others.

[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]It was now 22 hours later and the buffalo bull the lions attacked yesterday was still alive. With the bull downed a lion feeds at its rump but when the pain becomes too much the buffalo rallies and gets to his feet but only barely. The lion hangs on and realising he isn't getting anywhere goes for the buffalo's achilles tendon downing the bull again. Will he survive another 22 hours?"[/color]

And no way can a lone lioness prey on a big alpha bull, again there are major differences between a bull and a big healthy alpha.

Hyena could probably have a better chance since their bites do more damage and they target genitals which can put the bull in shock, also being smaller makes them a harder target.

That seems to be a typo, that "lions", I mean this video was about that same case and no other lions anywhere.

Description: "This battle of the beasts has lasted over 20minutes and this is the last few. The bull is down but not out, but has he got enough to free himself? Finally the lion goes in for the kill but he under-estimates the bulls will to survive as the bull tosses him away. The lion leaves but later in the night they finished off the deed."

Or do you have more information about this case? I see only one lion and descriptions don´t give any hint about other lions.

Anyway there are more than one case so in that way this thread looks like to be old news.
It had been battling for some time, which is obvious with it being a 22hr battle yet only 2 minutes of footage.

So where is told, that attacked by lions before this? Have you seen often, that only one lion is there killing a buffalo if there is whole pride or coalition nearby and buffalo is down? I don´t buy that explanation unless you have some source to confirm it. That guy on the video mention nothing about other lions.
Sure, lions abandon kills or leave it to males to finish or they're still there and help out later as its stated the bull still fights on.
The flip side is, have you ever seen a healthy bull like that be subdued by a lone lion, especially not even have the strength to stand?
You have to know that this fight has been going on for some time and that buffalo has been exhausted and injured.
If 3 large males can't overpower a healthy bull, what chance would a single lion have unless there are extenuating circumstances.
On top of all of that, it's already stated that "lions" had been attacking this bull for 22hrs.
I agree he said "the lions attacked". 

When it comes to the video of the three males: you can’t take one instance and say that’s how it is, as I have seen 3+ lionesses fail a buffalo cow, but also single lionesses succeed at bringing down big and healthy looking cows. It can come down to experience as the three males in the video are young. The weather, underestimating a healthy prime bull etc. A more skilled lion could probably have done much better. I don’t think thats the case in the Wildcast video, but the lions in the other video did seem quite clumsy and one even got caught. That seemed to scare and put the other lions off. Three adult males would have finished the job imo.
If 3 large male lions cant overpower a healthy bull, especially with one holding onto its throat and another trying to pull down its hindquarters while the bull is still able to gore the 3rd and lift it off the ground while a male lion hangs onto its throat, what chance could any lone male lion really have?
I know exceptional lions or cases could exist but there is nothing I've seen that would back that claim.
A large bull is extreamly strong yes and in most cases a lion can’t do it, but same as the lionesses, hunts are different and a skilled male lion could do better not in terms of overpowering the bull, but rather ruin his legs and groin and take his time, going for the throat on a standing buffalo (at least in my observation) seems almost pointless as they are to thick and the lions seems unable to get a good grip. Usually a lion would fail I agree, but I don’t see it as impossible at all that some big male lions used to hunting buffalos could kill a healthy bull, but from his experience would most likely never do it as he knows the risk and the big likelyhood of failure with only a ton of energi wasted. 
E
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-16-2020, 10:21 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Both headlines are lion and buffalo, not lions. The person talking tells nothing about other lions. That case is for me a clear case in which a male lion alone kills a cape buffalo bull. And obviously you don´t have any additional information concerning this case.

Drop down the description, they clearly state "lions" then "lion" for this scene.

I´ve seen descriptions but I´ve seen or heard nothing else about possible other lions. That one word in description, but maybe it can be asked from this person. They were there quite a long time and no other lions, so it´s hard to understand what other lions would be doing when there is easy meal around.

And what comes to it, that what it proves if some lions fail to do something in the group....

"Amateurs"

"Professional"

But now I have to do other things for some time :) Maybe we get some conclusive information about that one case later, it might be still possible.
Cows aren't in the same league as bulls, let alone a big alpha bull.
While I do agree some have more experience than others we can't make that assumption for the 3 males and especially if they're adults we have to assume that hunting buffalo has been their everyday experience. 

In regards to the description, the narrator specifically mentions it as well as stating the bull had a badely injured front leg as well.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-16-2020, 10:56 PM)Pckts Wrote:

"Amateurs"

"Professional"

While I do agree some have more experience than others we can't make that assumption for the 3 males and especially if they're adults we have to assume that hunting buffalo has been their everyday experience. 

In regards to the description, the narrator specifically mentions it as well as stating the bull had a badely injured front leg as well.

Those videos with cows, point wasn´t to compare cape buffalo cows and bulls. Just to show, that sharing some video in which some lions fail doesn´t mean, that a single lion couldn´t do it better. After all with bulls one main factor is to get it off balance and to fall. Or then injure it otherwise. And about badly injured front leg... lion in the video was biting it quite a lot, so it tends to lead to injury Wink

Then again what comes to that incident, I managed to find a video clip, which 99,9% is about the same case and gives some additional information. Yes, there was after all another lion, but it appeared there after the first lion had downed that buffalo. And also in this video it can be seen how this first lion bites that leg, which in later videos is badly injured. Very interesting case overall and even though there was this another lion, I personally am very impressed for this lion, which took down that buffalo. 

Here description: "It was a beautiful sunset over Banyini pan when in the distance I heard the distress calls of a buffalo. Racing over there I found a male lion had downed a huge bull. As it struggled a second lion arrived and went straight for the stranglehold muffling the bulls distress calls."

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-17-2020, 01:29 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 08:56 PM)Pckts Wrote: The 22 hr ordeal had multiple Lions 

"Amateurs"

"Professional"

Those videos with cows, point wasn´t to compare cape buffalo cows and bulls. Just to show, that sharing some video in which some lions fail doesn´t mean, that a single lion couldn´t do it better. After all with bulls one main factor is to get it off balance and to fall. Or then injure it otherwise. And about badly injured front leg... lion in the video was biting it quite a lot, so it tends to lead to injury Wink

Then again what comes to that incident, I managed to find a video clip, which 99,9% is about the same case and gives some additional information. Yes, there was after all another lion, but it appeared there after the first lion had downed that buffalo. And also in this video it can be seen how this first lion bites that leg, which in later videos is badly injured. Very interesting case overall and even though there was this another lion, I personally am very impressed for this lion, which took down that buffalo. 

Here description: "It was a beautiful sunset over Banyini pan when in the distance I heard the distress calls of a buffalo. Racing over there I found a male lion had downed a huge bull. As it struggled a second lion arrived and went straight for the stranglehold muffling the bulls distress calls."

If it is the same account, which we dont know if it is or not it's still stated that the photographer heard distress calls first before he got there.
So how the buffalo got to this position is unknown but it's safe to assume both Lions were chasing him down. 
Then the narrator says this bull got to his feet and fought off both Lions to a stalemate, he'll be sure to follow up in the morning.
This again showing that 2 lions even with a throat hold on an injured bull are still unable to finish the job.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Here you can see 2 males put up a nice fight against a big bull.
Still unnseccesful but over time I'm sure they could tire him out but at huge risk as well.

This also shows that even though you may only see 1 lion on an injured bull that doesn't mean he's the only one that participated.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-17-2020, 02:02 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 01:29 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 09:11 PM)Shadow Wrote: That seems to be a typo, that "lions", I mean this video was about that same case and no other lions anywhere.

"Amateurs"

"Professional"

If it is the same account, which we dont know if it is or not it's still stated that the photographer heard distress calls first before he got there.
So how the buffalo got to this position is unknown but it's safe to assume both Lions were chasing him down. 
Then the narrator says this bull got to his feet and fought off both Lions to a stalemate, he'll be sure to follow up in the morning.
This again showing that 2 lions even with a throat hold on an injured bull are still unable to finish the job.

It would be quite something if those videos would be about two different cases. That would be, imo, even more impressive. I´ll try to get more information from this person who filmed this though, hopefully it´s possible.

Then again for me there are too many things matching, 4 videos uploaded at same time with same looking lion and big cape buffalo bull and same kind of surroundings, coincidence? I don´t think so. Everyone can make their own conclusions. What impressed me was, that when this guy got to the place, there was one lion with downed bull, another lion appeared afterwards. And already in this (most probably) first clip he bite that same front leg, which he was biting also later and that leg then was badly injured. Did he do it on purpose or was it lucky coincidence, that would be interesting to know, but some things remain mysteries.

All in all, for me here is nothing more, I have no doubts what comes to it that lone male lion can kill an adult cape buffalo bull. Everyone else can look all videos in this thread and make their own conclusions. And also check that case from Londolozi with lioness, which is one really interesting too. 

I will post though if I get still more information about this 2007 case(s). Otherwise I have no more interest concerning this thread for reasons I told already :)

Bigcat Enthusiast

I guess it matters on what type of bull it is.
For me, when I think of this thread, I think of an alpha cape like what I've been showing.
And in that regard, I dont think it's obvious at all to claim a single lion can kill one since we've already seen videos of 2 and 3 male lions failing to do so.
So why would a single have a better shot?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-17-2020, 03:22 AM)Pckts Wrote: I guess it matters on what type of bull it is.
For me, when I think of this thread, I think of an alpha cape like what I've been showing.
And in that regard, I dont think it's obvious at all to claim a single lion can kill one since we've already seen videos of 2 and 3 male lions failing to do so.
So why would a single have a better shot?

Some remarks to clarify how I see this. In video clips we usually see daytime hunting, most hunts take place in nighttime though. That gives some extra advantage for lions, better night vision and better possible surprise element. So some lone bull wandering around and getting separated a bit from others could meet a nasty surprise if meeting one experienced and brave male lion. And if lion is able to tackle bull to fall, odds would go much more favorable for the lion. In best case scenario bull could broke leg when falling, but even if not, lion might be able to hold him down at least some time and cause injuries to weaken him....

That above is pretty much what I assume, that might have happened in that one case, which we discussed. Even 700-900 kg animal feels it, when 200 kg comes with full speed and then hits "out of nowhere" and even more than just feel it, it can fall to the ground. Daytime and "full frontal" is totally another thing clearly. I have said before, that (imo) it´s not about overpowering prey animal, when lion hunts cape buffalo or some other big prey animals, it´s about skills and using their "weaponry" in best possible way, because all big cats are weaker than their biggest prey animals.

I found some contact information for that guy who filmed those videos, we´ll see if he replies or not.

TigerJaguar Offline

Dont know if bull or cow but impressive takedown 

*This image is copyright of its original author
1 user Likes TigerJaguar's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-18-2020, 10:51 PM by Shadow )

(02-18-2020, 10:18 PM)TigerJaguar Wrote: Dont know if bull or cow but impressive takedown 

Here is the text concerning that photo, I agree that impressive but right place would be maybe lion predation thread: Male lion takes down a buffalo cow. Kruger National Park, South Africa © Hilda Le Roux

https://magazine.africageographic.com/weekly/issue-292/photographer-year-2020-weekly-selection-week-9-gallery-2/#18

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Description says it's a bull

1 user Likes Sully's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Not a male lion but nonetheless relevant to the discussion if lions are able to take down bull buffalo by themselves, only this one is more impressive as it was a female who did it by herself

The Tsalala lioness looks back from the buffalo she killed while one of her cubs tucks in. She was very lucky to keep this kill, as the Ntsevu pride walked past about 800m away and didn’t smell it; they would almost certainly have robbed her.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2019/07/24/tsalala-lioness-brings-down-buffalo/
2 users Like Balam's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

The mighty Uma giving way to a big Bull Gaur

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-07-2020, 09:17 PM)Pckts Wrote: The mighty Uma giving way to a big Bull Gaur

Such a great find. Great to see an interraction between a big gaur bull and a male tiger.
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post