There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Animal Strength Feats

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

As we all know, big cats are all capable of extremely amazing feats, even on a pound-for-pound basis. A juvenile or full-grown tiger or lion can drag adult bull buffalo/guar carcasses and can explosively jump lengths deemed impossible for most other animals of the same size. Here are a few videos proving the amazing strength and power of big cats:

Boldchamp uploaded this quite a long time ago, and in this test, the lion sucessfully registered a pull (more like a push-pull?) of about 1500 pounds. However, the incentive (small meat piece) was not as exciting to the lion as a full grown Cape Buffalo or other prey, and it didn't even look like the lion was trying, mainly frustrated with the inadequate piece of meat being tied to a rope.

There was also another video displaying a Siberian tigress hitting a force-measuring stick attached to a golf ball: her hit registered 1400-pounds of force. She did it with extreme ease and the swipe looked to be extremely fast for her weight. Imagine what she could do if excited or angered...?

Another video of a usual-sized lion dragging a dead buffalo carcass (looks to be more than 1200-pounds) with ease. The cameraman might have distracted the lion a bit, and the lion took a break to monitor the cameraman.

Don't ever underestimate the power of big cats.
9 users Like Polar's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

A video of a male leopard (150 pounds, looks like?) dragging a full-grown warthog more than his weight, without any effort, up a tree:

Here was the famous young tigress Machli dragging a 800+ pound carcass without much effort. Now the terrain was uneven, and there wasn't any reason to over-exert herself when dragging a carcass, especially when she would possibly fight a more powerful, male tiger in case he discovers the carcass. Good sense of energy conservation:

7 users Like Polar's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

In my personal opinion, a lion or tiger (400-pounds) can maximally drag an excess of 2-3 tons if they were willing enough to tire themselves out and engage their max potential. 

But that is just what I think. Need scientific studies on big cat muscular composition and muscular force to see if my statement is even partially valid.
3 users Like Polar's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

Have in fact seen a male lion dragging a fully grown giraffe carcass with quite some ease, so I'm sure you're not far of on that guess great thread!
5 users Like Jubatus's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

So if I am right about my last post (not saying that I really am), a 130-150 pound leopard should drag at least a ton! Sounds incredibly impressive for an animal of that size!
4 users Like Polar's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Here is a professional strongman by the name of Tommy Grassi trying (or dying) his hardest to pull a full-grown captive lion in a tug-of-war. The lion looked like it was playing, and, especially by the end, its arm could very easily sustain the strongman's max pull for a good amount of time.

4 users Like Polar's post

United Kingdom Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

Look at this one, a lion dragging a buffalo, commented by a park keeper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGE383q4gd0

I remember to have seen an interesting documentary (ten years ago) in which we could see an sub adult male dragging a giraffe's corpse out of a river. But unlucky I have not found again it.
6 users Like Spalea's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

@Spalea,

Although the carcass is probably 60% of its original weight (organs, abdominal muscles, and major abdomen bone structures removed), the lion did it with apparent ease.
5 users Like Polar's post

Wildanimal Lover

(07-09-2016, 07:35 PM)Polar Wrote: @Spalea,

Although the carcass is probably 60% of its original weight (organs, abdominal muscles, and major abdomen bone structures removed), the lion did it with apparent ease.

Yes sure, and completely in the tall grass.
4 users Like Spalea's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Here is another famous beast, Raja from Bandipur, dragging a young gaur carcass probably 200 pounds heavier than his 500-pound frame, all without breaking a single drop of sweat!

6 users Like Polar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Big ole raja, never ceases to amaze. No matter who I spoke to, all eye witnesses put his size up there with any of the other large tigers they have seen.
He is a tiger that shows the capacity of s. Indian tigers isn't necessarily smaller than others from central India.
5 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Renoka dragning a large buffalo cow probably 500 kg, with

7 users Like Pantherinae's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Here, a lion kills a very young elephant which looks to be (at most) twice his size, and pulling it down with extreme ease:

I also do remember a compilation of pictures showing another lone lion easily flipping a much bigger-sized elephant (but he didn't kill this one), yet I don't remember where that picture compilation was located. Do any of you have it, or is it in the thread "Lion Predation"?
3 users Like Polar's post

Wildanimal Lover

A lioness dragging a hippo's carcass out of the water after having took it from crocs:

http://africageographic.com/blog/lion-an...o-carcass/

IMO, the weight of the lioness is certainly overrated here (200-250 kilos mentionned). But the account is interesting.
5 users Like Spalea's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(07-17-2016, 04:10 PM)Spalea Wrote: A lioness dragging a hippo's carcass out of the water after having took it from crocs:

http://africageographic.com/blog/lion-an...o-carcass/

IMO, the weight of the lioness is certainly overrated here (200-250 kilos mentionned). But the account is interesting.

Interesting account. Of course, the lioness is nowhere near that weight.
4 users Like chaos's post