There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big herbivores!

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 12:19 AM by Pckts )

(07-11-2014, 07:39 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

Found this one of a 178 cm tall man, and a bull gaur, bull buffalo! This one seems more realistic!

Definitely not in length. Gaur are over 1.5ft longer and a foot taller. The cape buffalo in this comparison is longer than the gaur. Thats not the case with the real animals. 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

The gaur has a long neck, but it's head is bent! Looks ok Imo! The body of the gaur is longer than the body of the buffalo, maximum length in gaur is 330 cm, and cape buffalo actually 340 says Wikipedia. And this gaur seems to be 1 foot taller. Atleast from my own obeservation of these animal IRL, it seems okei!

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 04:28 AM by Pckts )

Once again, the Guar is longer than the cape buffalo. From actual lengths taken.
You have only seen one gaur allegedly and it wasnt even wild. So your opinion is only that, opinion. 
Wiki is not a reliable source compared to actual weights and lengths, that should be obvious.
Hence why I can post this
http://www.theanimalfiles.com/mammals/ho.../gaur.html and the gaur is quoted as being 3.3m or 11ft 
Which is longer.
Here is the gaur is quoted at 360cm
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/gau...ison.2874/

So once again, that comparision is obviously off. If you think cape are longer, than provide cape measurements of their length and show them to be longer than Gaur. I would happily admit you were right. 
Weights and lengths have been posted, so it should be easy to find. 

Also, I can post 5 different gaur with a head body length of 9'5'' or more with a total length of 370cm or more.
Can you find one cape buffalo with a head body length of more than 8'? Im curious since I could not.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Here are 5 plus gaur over 370cm
http://www.google.com/search?q=gaur+weig...1024%3B464

Cant post pics with my laptop, sorry.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: Once again, the Guar is longer than the cape buffalo. From actual lengths taken.
You have only seen one gaur allegedly and it wasnt even wild. So your opinion is only that, opinion. 
Wiki is not a reliable source compared to actual weights and lengths, that should be obvious.
http://www.theanimalfiles.com/mammals/ho.../gaur.html and the gaur is quoted as being 3.3m or 11ft 
Which is longer.

So once again, that comparision is obviously off. If you think cape are longer, than provide cape measurements of their length and show them to be longer than Gaur. I would happily admit you were right. 

Also, I can post 5 different gaur with a head body length of 9'5'' or more with a total length of 370cm or more.
Can you find one cape buffalo with a head body length of more than 8'? Im curious since I could not.

I have no idea of the length and hight of gaur's and buffalos! And I never said they where longer neither remember that. I said according to Wikipedia Nothing more.. 

Also yes I have seen one gaur, but it was adult and massive, and I have seen wild buffalos and worked a little with some, even tho it's only one animal it's not like a wild gaur is 10 feet taller and longer, it's just slightly differences, and so is it with cape buffalos aswell adult bulls have only small differences between eachother two places in Africa and in captivity. And as from my point of view this one looks fair. The gaur is longer but it's head is not straight forward... 

I suggest you to read my comments more carefully, before you comments 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

This is the gaur i saw, looks as big as many big wild speciments! 

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 08:19 PM by Pckts )

(07-12-2014, 05:48 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
'Pckts dateline='' Wrote: Once again, the Guar is longer than the cape buffalo. From actual lengths taken.
Which is longer.

I have no idea of the length and hight of gaur's and buffalos! And I never said they where longer neither remember that. I said according to Wikipedia Nothing more.. 

Also yes I have seen one gaur, but it was adult and massive, and I have seen wild buffalos and worked a little with some, even tho it's only one animal it's not like a wild gaur is 10 feet taller and longer, it's just slightly differences, and so is it with cape buffalos aswell adult bulls have only small differences between eachother two places in Africa and in captivity. And as from my point of view this one looks fair. The gaur is longer but it's head is not straight forward... 

? You never said Cape where longer? Yet you quoted wiki and bring forth a comparison that is obviously false compared to one that already exists with actual measurements. It's strange reasoning, is it not?
So the Gaur is a foot and half longer, but the comparision is ok because his head is turned to the side?
The buffalo looks longer than the Guar, and that is with the naked eye. This is obviously not accurate. A foot and a half is a significant distance. 
I suggest you do research on actual sizes before you make claims and try to compare them. Also, I thought they don't keep cape buffalo's in captivity, so there would be no data on captive vs wild sizes.

You're to stuck in your ways. Are you trying to say Capes are as long as Gaur?
That is wrong, they are shorter in both height and length. They weigh significantly less as well. They are the 4th or 3rd largest bovine. The gaur is the largest, without question. This is not debateable. 

Lastly, how do i know that is the gaur you saw? It is from another author. I was also still hoping for some measurements on Ayslan and Rex or the other tiger. I know you said you were going to ask last week. 
Thanks

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 08:23 PM by GuateGojira )

Gaur vs African Buffalo:
Here is a set of measurements, in the flesh, of these great animals.

1. Gaur (Bos gaurus):

This compilation shows how rare are the gaur measurements. Take in count that these are measurements "between pegs".

2. African buffalo (Syncerus caffer):

I don't know how these measurements were taken, I guess they were in straight line. There is little data about the head-body length, but the average from Zimbabwe is smaller than that of the gaur. On the Serengeti specimens, I can only guess a maximum head-body length of 2700 mm, assuming that the largest tail belongs to the largest specimen, but this is probably not the case.

Overall, the gaur is relative longer in comparison with the African buffalo, larger in overall dimensions, specially in the height of the shoulders. However, exceptionally large bulls from Africa are very large and match the size of some gaurs, specifically in the weight (max. of 900 kg in Pretorius GR).

However, if you ask me for a true competitor against the gaur, I will discard the African Buffalo and I will choose the American bison, those are MASSIVE animals, and they sizes are very close to the gaur. Another competitor is the yac, with some reports of huge specimens in the wild.

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 08:36 PM by GuateGojira )

(07-12-2014, 08:17 PM)'Pckts' Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 05:48 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
Which is longer.

? You never said Cape where longer? Yet you quoted wiki and bring forth a comparison that is obviously false compared to one that already exists with actual measurements. It's strange reasoning, is it not?
So the Gaur is a foot and half longer, but the comparision is ok because his head is turned to the side?
The buffalo looks longer than the Guar, and that is with the naked eye. This is obviously not accurate. A foot and a half is a significant distance. 
I suggest you do research on actual sizes before you make claims and try to compare them. Also, I thought they don't keep cape buffalo's in captivity, so there would be no data on captive vs wild sizes.

You're to stuck in your ways. Are you trying to say Capes are as long as Gaur?
That is wrong, they are shorter in both height and length. They weigh significantly less as well. They are the 4th or 3rd largest bovine. The gaur is the largest, without question. This is not debateable. 

Lastly, how do i know that is the gaur you saw? It is from another author. I was also still hoping for some measurements on Ayslan and Rex or the other tiger. I know you said you were going to ask last week. 
Thanks

Calm down guys, both of you have expressed your ideas and opinions, which is good, but none of you showed any evidence to backup them.

I have now provided body measurements and weights, you can compare them and are far better than any idea of photograph.

So, take a deep breath, count to 10 and THEN, you can return to post.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Here are 3-4 different gaur bulls with a heady body length between 9'4.5''-9'6''
http://animalvsanimal.yuku.com/topic/1848#.U8FNOygSo20

Your table above only shows one at 9'5''

The Bison will be close to the guar but still smaller in weight. But there are some huge bison out there, the asiatic water buffalo is close but smaller than the bison as well. The world record bison is only a 400lbs smaller than that of the record Guar, so they are definitely close in size.
TFS 
Gaute. 

Expert & Researcher

The data that I use for the gaur came from the book of the Maharaja of Cooch Behar of 1908, not from Rowland Wards. It will be interesting to compare the data and see if those are other specimens or only missprints in Ward's edition. Here is the original table of the Maharaja.

The records of this author on my table, that are not here, are inside the book.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2014, 09:31 PM by Pantherinae )

Again no i just said according to wiki, Thats a big difference... Relax... 

Also the gaur, cape comparison picture, I did not make that! So again relax. 

Length: 

aslan: 201 cm, hight 108 cm. 

Aragon: 193 cm, hight 104 cm. 

Ulysses: 198 cm, hight 102 cm 

Rex: 196 cm, hight 94 cm. 

Also yes they do keep buffalos, atleast in one zoo in Danmark, and one in sweeden.
Also it's possible to mesure with you're eye's, you can see if something is much smaller, or much bigger! It's not acurate, but atleast you can have an opinion, on the size. And what I said was there are not many big differences in the size from those wild one's to the captive one's I have seen... And i guess it's the same thing with gaur's,

Bigcat Enthusiast

That table shows 5 bulls 9'5'' or more.
Massive beasts.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-12-2014, 09:22 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: Again no i just said according to wiki, Thats a big difference... Relax... 

Also the gaur, cape comparison picture, I did not make that! So again relax. 

Length: 

aslan: 201 cm, hight 108 cm. 

Aragon: 193 cm, hight 104 cm. 

Ulysses: 198 cm, hight 102 cm 

Rex: 196 cm, hight 94 cm. 

Also yes they do keep buffalos, atleast in one zoo in Danmark, and one in sweeden.
Also it's possible to mesure with you're eye's, you can see if something is much smaller, or much bigger! It's not acurate, but atleast you can have an opinion, on the size. And what I said was there are not many big differences in the size from those wild one's to the captive one's I have seen... And i guess it's the same thing with gaur's,

Is aslan slightly overweight?
Seems very long but not as tall as I would of thought.
Thanks for sharing the sizes. 

I never knew they kept Cape in any zoos, always thought they were too aggressive to be captive. But I guess a zoo setting is different than a domesticated animal. 

Also, its possible to measure with your eyes, if you are using more than one animal to compare to many. One animal of any species is not a dictator of every animal every measured. 
Just sayen

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-31-2014, 01:06 AM by sanjay )

Hey Dumbo, did you ever see an elephant fly? Curious elephant calf is spent spinning through the air after picking a mismatched fight
  • Over-confident elephant calf was flung up into the air after challenging a mature bull buffalo to a fight
  • The very one-sided brawl took place at the Spekboom lagoon in South Africa's Addo Elephant National Park
  • Although calf's pride was undoubtedly hurt, he escaped serious injury and hid behind his mother for rest of the day
This is the moment a young elephant was sent flying after unwisely attempting to intimidate a huge buffalo bull.The over-confident calf was among a herd of elephants refreshing themselves at the Spekboom lagoon in Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa when the mature buffalo walked towards the water to join them.While the adult elephants seemingly paid little attention to their new drinking partner, the calf was clearly put out by his presence - charging towards him in the bizarre hope that his tiny frame would somehow scare the massive buffalo into leaving the area.Needless to say, the bull wasn't intimidated in the slightest and casually waited until the young elephant was within striking range before shoving him with his huge horned head. The poor calf was thrown several feet into the air before crashing back down on to the South African savanna.The whole sorry incident, which took place in March this year, was caught on camera by local wildlife guide Conrad Cramer.Mr Cramer said that although the calf's pride was undoubtedly hurt, he escaped physical injury and spent the rest of the day hiding behind his mother.'What surprised me was that the other elephants were in no way disturbed by the chain of events, but rather seemed to see it as a life lesson that the youngster had to learn,' Mr Cramer said. Scroll down for video 

You mess with the Bull, you get the horns!

4 users Like Pckts's post