There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Animal Strength Feats

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-07-2019, 06:51 AM by Shadow )

Here is one interesting. This caiman isn´t so big, but what is for me interesting to see is how it still struggles when jaguar has lifted it off water. No job for an animal with weak neck muscles either, even though not the biggest caiman hunted by jaguar. 

5 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here is smooth movement and not a small tiger doing that. Impressive to look that smoothness in movement.

4 users Like Shadow's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Here is smooth movement and not a small tiger doing that. Impressive to look that smoothness in movement. 

Big cats are athletes. No doubt about it. 
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Shadow I remember you wanted to see a cat lifting an animal off the ground and walk away with it, here a lion lifts an apparently 180 kg wildebeest like it’s nothing. Big cats are very strong for sure :) 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUp1hojA6g5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ta8btfmmsuam
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-25-2019, 02:58 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: @Shadow I remember you wanted to see a cat lifting an animal off the ground and walk away with it, here a lion lifts an apparently 180 kg wildebeest like it’s nothing. Big cats are very strong for sure :) 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUp1hojA6g5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ta8btfmmsuam

Yes, that was a good one :) Something like that is, what I have been expecting to see from these animals. That size of prey these animals for sure drag some distances. Double that and then we see how also big cats "sweat" a little bit :)

But when there is for instance a video about a gorilla where it drags some small woman and is there another one with some small man a few meters and people comment like "WHOA" "UNBELIEVABLE STRENGTH"... this lion show here, that nothing special when comparing to other big animals :)

Here is one video about a lion, maybe for some this can be uncomfortable to watch, but as far as I know, that man survived even though injured. But some normal sized human is nothing for these animals.

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This was interesting study to look at what comes to bite forces.

http://www.academia.edu/239888/Bite_forc...s_Ecology_

Panther Offline

(01-25-2019, 03:29 AM)Shadow Wrote: Yes, that was a good one :) Something like that is, what I have been expecting to see from these animals. That size of prey these animals for sure drag some distances. Double that and then we see how also big cats "sweat" a little bit :)

I don't think bigcats "sweat"? Joking

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-25-2019, 06:35 PM)Panther Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 03:29 AM)Shadow Wrote: Yes, that was a good one :) Something like that is, what I have been expecting to see from these animals. That size of prey these animals for sure drag some distances. Double that and then we see how also big cats "sweat" a little bit :)

I don't think bigcats "sweat"? Joking

That´s why quotation marks with that word. Just a metaphor meaning, that needing more effort.

Panther Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-25-2019, 07:02 PM by Panther )

(01-25-2019, 06:45 PM)Shadow Wrote: That´s why quotation marks with that word. Just a metaphor meaning, that needing more effort.

I know, i was just joking! Which is why I used a emoji at the end, LOL..

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsdcfwqBlJ0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=16v5x5ngs1vjx 

Insane strength, absolutley insane!
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Got up at 5:00 am with a little hope to see a tiger as the main park at Ranthambore is closed due to the monsoon season. Soon I was following a herd of cows (domestic) in the reserve area ? So all my hopes, if left any, were shattered.
Then this happened... watch the video. 

Tiger: T-34/ Male 
Mobile video.

2 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

I don't know where exactly to post this video, but here, it seems good to me...

It's a "conciliation" video by our Chinese describer.

3 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2019, 07:13 PM by Shadow )

(05-16-2019, 11:56 AM)Spalea Wrote: I don't know where exactly to post this video, but here, it seems good to me...

It's a "conciliation" video by our Chinese describer.

I almost admire this youngster in the way how he makes comparisons :) Taking a still picture so, that lion is standing with straight leg and then tiger when leg is bent so, that looking as massive as possible :) And also a tiger with something wrong with elbow and some big lump there. Of course tigers have very muscular upper forelimbs and it looks like that they are in some way differently built than lions. I have found that always interesting that what is the case there, because when looking at footage, where they drag carcasses and do other things demanding strength, I have never been able to see there any difference. I find it fascinating, that even though some photos makes think in one way, performances are then again so equal in those cases, which people have been able to get on recordings.

But I have to put here one picture to show what I mean about comparing an animal with straight leg to another with bent leg. And yes, I think too, that tigers upper front leg is very impressive. But when making comparisons, those should be made in comparable way to make it fair :) Not like this guy making these videos does.

Attached Files Image(s)

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #134: Yes, agree with you, he didn't exactly respect the same position when he made the comparaison, and of course the tiger is much more in the foregrund, so that his front leg seems even more impressive. More impressive but not as contracted, tense as the lion's front leg muscles. Because of course we don't consider the same positions

In order to very scrupulously compare these two big cats, we have to consider the same position submitted by the same body tension/strain (of course when you are simply walking, and approaching close to a prey, this isn't the same situation, the same muscles are submitted by a natural tension which doesn't exist in the first case). Besides, by showing two frontleg positions on the same animal you're already more objectiv as concerns the lion.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-16-2019, 03:30 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

About #134: Yes, agree with you, he didn't exactly respect the same position when he made the comparaison, and of course the tiger is much more in the foregrund, so that his front leg seems even more impressive. More impressive but not as contracted, tense as the lion's front leg muscles. Because of course we don't consider the same positions

In order to very scrupulously compare these two big cats, we have to consider the same position submitted by the same body tension/strain (of course when you are simply walking, and approaching close to a prey, this isn't the same situation, the same muscles are submitted by a natural tension which doesn't exist in the first case). Besides, by showing two frontleg positions on the same animal you're already more objectiv as concerns the lion.

Main thing, imo, is still, that limbs are in same position, when making comparisons, either straight or bent in same way. Tigers have very impressive forelimbs, but in fair comparisons naturally difference isn´t so big as this chinese guy makes it look like. These fanboys are interesting cases, but sometimes they provide nice video footage.