There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

So looks like we've caught tampering at the minimum and at the worst a counterfeit. 

To summarize the red flags:
1. The color. Javanese fossils are generally not a polished black. River fossils can get this texture but the rivers of Java are sand-based, thus we get a brown color like in the Ngandong tiger. In the Stegodon teeth I've seen to be claimed from Java that are glazed black, there are still a lot of reddish-rusty hues.
2. The ridge at the crown-root junction is not the usual, especially in tigers.
3. The texture of the root is unusual. While there is a texture difference between the crown and root, here it looks too different.
4. Note the inner curve of the canine (posterior side). The tooth almost pinches off and flattens, which is quite unusual. Almost like plastic or resin. Around this same line where the material pinches and flatten it almost (or simply) looks like there's a seam (especially in the first photo with the canines in the seller's hand).
5. Finding a pair of lower canines without any other remains is just next to impossible in terms of probability. For both canines to fall out then be found in the same place thousands of years later too many things would need to fall into place.

Overall the pieces look too polished (as @phatio mentioned) or even resin/plastic.
3 users Like tigerluver's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 11:17 PM by GrizzlyClaws )

(03-20-2019, 10:17 PM)tigerluver Wrote: So looks like we've caught tampering at the minimum and at the worst a counterfeit. 

To summarize the red flags:
1. The color. Javanese fossils are generally not a polished black. River fossils can get this texture but the rivers of Java are sand-based, thus we get a brown color like in the Ngandong tiger. In the Stegodon teeth I've seen to be claimed from Java that are glazed black, there are still a lot of reddish-rusty hues.
2. The ridge at the crown-root junction is not the usual, especially in tigers.
3. The texture of the root is unusual. While there is a texture difference between the crown and root, here it looks too different.
4. Note the inner curve of the canine (posterior side). The tooth almost pinches off and flattens, which is quite unusual. Almost like plastic or resin. Around this same line where the material pinches and flatten it almost (or simply) looks like there's a seam (especially in the first photo with the canines in the seller's hand).
5. Finding a pair of lower canines without any other remains is just next to impossible in terms of probability. For both canines to fall out then be found in the same place thousands of years later too many things would need to fall into place.

Overall the pieces look too polished (as @phatio mentioned) or even resin/plastic.

Here is a Ngandong tiger upper canine tooth from another private collector, and I guess it practically matches your description of being polished black, but also it should be found at the bottom of the river with some brownish hue.

I guess those skilled collectors knew how to properly break the canine teeth off its jaw without creating any fissure.

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

New Zealand ET8888 Offline
New Join
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2019, 02:06 PM by sanjay )

(10-31-2015, 02:03 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: South China tiger, an old male that probably dated from 50-100 years ago.

What a amazing fang...
1 user Likes ET8888's post

New Zealand ET8888 Offline
New Join
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2019, 02:07 PM by sanjay )

(02-25-2016, 12:49 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Siberian Cave lion

Can any body tell me, why is this lion fang is black??
1 user Likes ET8888's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(03-27-2019, 08:25 AM)ET8888 Wrote:
(02-25-2016, 12:49 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Siberian Cave lion

Can any body tell me, why is this lion fang is black??

Because it is a fossil.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

Indochinese tiger

Philippines s3iji Offline
New Join

Hi all, I just got a tiger canine form a Malaysian friend. I didn't bought it, it's just a present for me. But I don't know if it's real or counterfeit one. Could someone help me to determine it? Thank you...

2 users Like s3iji's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Welcome to the forum @s3iji .
@GrizzlyClaws is the man for this.. wait for his response
2 users Like sanjay's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(07-21-2019, 06:02 PM)s3iji Wrote: Hi all, I just got a tiger canine form a Malaysian friend. I didn't bought it, it's just a present for me. But I don't know if it's real or counterfeit one. Could someone help me to determine it? Thank you...

Counterfeit product, since the coloration and texture look unnaturally polished, and it should be made of resin.

Philippines s3iji Offline
New Join

Ah, it's a counterfeit one, i see... I'm not lucky then, LOL. By the way, thank you for the answer.
1 user Likes s3iji's post

United States Jaykash Offline
New Join

Hi can somebody please tell em whether this is a tiger claw or tooth. If it’s not can you tell me if it’s from another animal or is it a reproduction? Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Jaykash's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger

1 user Likes Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger

3 users Like Betty's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(08-10-2019, 03:17 AM)Jaykash Wrote: Hi can somebody please tell em whether this is a tiger claw or tooth. If it’s not can you tell me if it’s from another animal or is it a reproduction? Thanks

Look like the tusk of the wild boar.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Kenya JanNgoi1992 Offline

Hi I’m newbie here...can anyone know what’s species tiger canine teeth in this photo?
1 user Likes JanNgoi1992's post