There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-07-2019, 06:11 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 05:37 AM)epaiva Wrote: African Lions

*This image is copyright of its original author

Nice to see this kind of photos too. It is easy to understand for instance why lions have so much trouble for instance with hippos, even though it is relatively slow animal.

They would probably use to chew it with the canine teeth, since there are pics of lions destroying hippo's back.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-07-2019, 08:28 AM by Shadow )

(02-07-2019, 07:50 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

Nice to see this kind of photos too. It is easy to understand for instance why lions have so much trouble for instance with hippos, even though it is relatively slow animal.

They would probably use to chew it with the canine teeth, since there are pics of lions destroying hippo's back.

Yeah, there are many videos showing how lions take down hippos. I was just commenting it, that these photos and measurements give clear picture about it, that how deeply lion can claw. Shape of claw and measurement looks like it, that 2 cm is quite maximum because of shape of claw. Tip of claw is often turned inward. 

If someone make google search about lion claw length, many times is said, that it can be 1,5 inches. If not knowing how claw is measured, some people can believe then, that lion could actually do 1,5 inch deep wounds, when reality is less than an inch. This can explain many misunderstandings when teenagers comment in many forums about big cats.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-07-2019, 08:04 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Yeah, there are many videos showing how lions take down hippos. I was just commenting it, that these photos and measurements give clear picture about it, that how deeply lion can claw. Shape of claw and measurement looks like it, that 2 cm is quite maximum because of shape of claw. Tip of claw is often turned inward. 

If someone make google search about lion claw length, many times is said, that it can be 1,5 inches. If not knowing how claw is measured, some people can believe then, that lion could actually do 1,5 inch deep wounds, when reality is less than an inch. This can explain many misunderstandings when teenagers comment in many forums about big cats. 

Many times

The primary weapon is still the canine teeth, and I would say that tiger could penetrate through 3 inches thick hide and layer of fat, whereas lion could do 2 inches.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-07-2019, 08:21 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 08:04 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Many times

The primary weapon is still the canine teeth, and I would say that tiger could penetrate through 3 inches thick hide and layer of fat, whereas lion could do 2 inches.
Yes, that is different thing. I was commenting only claw measurements and what those can do. Not overall hunting or canines :)
1 user Likes Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Ameya Gole
Those cannines....

Matkasur male

3 users Like Pckts's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

Huge Brown bear canine tooth

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 03-19-2019, 09:24 PM by phatio )

5 inch fossil canine of a tiger from Java.

@GrizzlyClaws those are the lower canines right? 
i'm curious @GrizzlyClaws or @tigerluver what is the average length of modern lion/tiger's lower canine teeth? how about the upper canine? thanks in advance

but wait, are they real? i mean when i compare them to modern sumatran tiger's canines they looks so enormous. 

anyway i found those images from online seller, sadly no further description available.
4 users Like phatio's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-19-2019, 09:39 PM by tigerluver )

@phatio , nice find!

From my own data, the average lower canine crown was about 40 mm. The average upper canine crown was about 50 mm. I'd have to check other sources to see if they have anything much different, but I doubt it.

Something does look a bit odd about the roots. Could you please PM more information on the seller/link? I've established a network with some collectors overseas and maybe I'll be able to dig up some more information. Generally the black fossils are from peat, thus aren't much older than 26 kya. Issue is Java has no significant peatlands. I've also never seen a fossil with such preservation from Java. Dark fossils are usually from Bornean mines or Thailand.
5 users Like tigerluver's post

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

@tigerluver you can contact the seller here : https://www.tokopedia.com/270/taring-har...id=3044659
or here https://www.tokopedia.com/270
seems like he also have other fossils like lobster and some elephant tusks
3 users Like phatio's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(03-19-2019, 09:01 PM)phatio Wrote: 5 inch fossil canine of a tiger from Java.

@GrizzlyClaws those are the lower canines right? 
i'm curious @GrizzlyClaws or @tigerluver what is the average length of modern lion/tiger's lower canine teeth? how about the upper canine? thanks in advance

but wait, are they real? i mean when i compare them to modern sumatran tiger's canines they looks so enormous. 

anyway i found those images from online seller, sadly no further description available.

It is definitely the lower canine teeth, no doubt. And the upper canine teeth are about 20% longer in most of time.

BTW, the pattern of fossilization of those tiger fossils in Southeast Asia is way different from the Mainland China including Manchuria.

The NEA tiger fossils got smoother texture, while the SEA tiger got coarser texture. Maybe it was caused by the humidity?
4 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(03-19-2019, 09:38 PM)tigerluver Wrote: @phatio , nice find!

From my own data, the average lower canine crown was about 40 mm. The average upper canine crown was about 50 mm. I'd have to check other sources to see if they have anything much different, but I doubt it.

Something does look a bit odd about the roots. Could you please PM more information on the seller/link? I've established a network with some collectors overseas and maybe I'll be able to dig up some more information. Generally the black fossils are from peat, thus aren't much older than 26 kya. Issue is Java has no significant peatlands. I've also never seen a fossil with such preservation from Java. Dark fossils are usually from Bornean mines or Thailand.

The shape of the SEA tiger fossils usually don't look as good as those NEA tiger fossils.

Maybe it was the humidity that caused certain degree of deformation during the course of fossilization.

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

@GrizzlyClaws , have you seen a canine with such a pronounced ridge at the crown-root junction before? The contour change from the root to the crown is also a bit odd.
2 users Like tigerluver's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 08:13 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(03-20-2019, 07:03 AM)tigerluver Wrote: @GrizzlyClaws , have you seen a canine with such a pronounced ridge at the crown-root junction before? The contour change from the root to the crown is also a bit odd.

The pronounced ridge usually featured among the lion canine teeth, but some tiger canine teeth can also have this feature, just not as often as the lion.

If it was not a counterfeit product with different parts being welded together, it was quite usual that the texture of the root and crown had a significant contrast.

Here is the upper canine tooth of a large Cave lioness, and you can see the texture of the root and crown didn't have the same pattern.

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

fyi here in indonesia polished stones and bones are very popular items, it gives more value than the original stuff. 
a polished canine of leopard (?)

this one I'm pretty sure belongs clouded leopard

maybe the owner did the same thing to the original fossil  (especially the crown part), if it really is a real one. 
but thats just my guess, i really don't know tbh. as @tigerluver suggest we need to be careful of this finding.

@GrizzlyClaws, so the upper canine sould be around 6 inch long, right? is that normal for modern tiger/lion?
2 users Like phatio's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 11:08 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(03-20-2019, 10:49 AM)phatio Wrote: fyi here in indonesia polished stones and bones are very popular items, it gives more value than the original stuff. 
a polished canine of leopard (?)

this one I'm pretty sure belongs clouded leopard

maybe the owner did the same thing to the original fossil  (especially the crown part), if it really is a real one. 
but thats just my guess, i really don't know tbh. as @tigerluver suggest we need to be careful of this finding.

@GrizzlyClaws, so the upper canine sould be around 6 inch long, right? is that normal for modern tiger/lion?

The two canine teeth above look like some low quality replica products made of resin. And @tigerluver was indeed right, we need to be careful.

BTW, the upper canines could be 20% longer than the lower canines for tiger, whereas a little less for lion.

The largest canine tooth for the modern tiger is about 168 mm, and 137 mm for the modern African lion.
3 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post