There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

Singapore tigeramulet Offline
New Join

(01-18-2019, 03:16 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 03:07 PM)tigeramulet Wrote: Its really fascinating to see all the fossils! Thank you all for sharing.
Just wondering, if I ever want to learn about fossils where do I start?
I don't even get to touch a tooth or a skull.

First find a local zoo in your area, then ask them zookeepers if they have any skull or canine teeth preserved from the deceased animals.

I live in singapore. Over here they wont even allow you to see a real skull. Only replica ones. You working as a zoo keeper thats why you get to deal with lots of teeth and skulls?
1 user Likes tigeramulet's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(01-18-2019, 10:37 PM)tigeramulet Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 03:16 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 03:07 PM)tigeramulet Wrote: Its really fascinating to see all the fossils! Thank you all for sharing.
Just wondering, if I ever want to learn about fossils where do I start?
I don't even get to touch a tooth or a skull.

First find a local zoo in your area, then ask them zookeepers if they have any skull or canine teeth preserved from the deceased animals.

I live in singapore. Over here they wont even allow you to see a real skull. Only replica ones. You working as a zoo keeper thats why you get to deal with lots of teeth and skulls?

No, I am not a zookeeper, and those canines and claws don't belong to me.

If you local zookeepers don't want to let you touching their real skulls and teeth, and I don't know if there is other way around.

You can obtain these from a lot online traffickers, but this is both illegal and unethical, so the Wildfact community certainly won't support this kind of act.

Singapore tigeramulet Offline
New Join

No bro, im not trying to obtain these from any traffickers or any unlawful practices. Don't get me wrong.
Im just interested to learn through looking, sharing, touching, feeling the real thing. Im interested in bones, tell tale signs of sickness in bones etc. 
Im certainly interested to study a real bone or a tooth or how people can tell the size or type of animal just by looking at teeth just like you guys. 

Singapore is a small country and doesn't offer archaeologist courses. I am an engineering, IT, business grad.
1 user Likes tigeramulet's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 10:25 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(01-23-2019, 08:05 AM)tigeramulet Wrote: No bro, im not trying to obtain these from any traffickers or any unlawful practices. Don't get me wrong.
Im just interested to learn through looking, sharing, touching, feeling the real thing. Im interested in bones, tell tale signs of sickness in bones etc. 
Im certainly interested to study a real bone or a tooth or how people can tell the size or type of animal just by looking at teeth just like you guys. 

Singapore is a small country and doesn't offer archaeologist courses. I am an engineering, IT, business grad.

Do you know any local zoological museum nearby?

Try to reach their staff members to see if there is any sample of skull and canine teeth being available for study.

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger

6.6cm

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger

6.65cm

6.7cm

7.11cm

6 users Like Betty's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-26-2019, 01:58 PM)Betty Wrote: Tiger

6.65cm

6.7cm

7.11cm

I would be personally even more interested about figures what comes to visible part of claw. That is after all what is making wounds etc., not the hidden part. There seemed to be difference when looking at these claws. 

I copied your photo and added blue line to show what distance I would be interested to see too. I hope you don´t mind using your photo.

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like Shadow's post

Sanju Offline

(01-26-2019, 05:04 PM)Shadow Wrote: I would be personally even more interested about figures what comes to visible part of claw. That is after all what is making wounds etc., not the hidden part. There seemed to be difference when looking at these claws. 

I copied your photo and added blue line to show what distance I would be interested to see too.

I have the same opinion...
2 users Like Sanju's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(01-26-2019, 05:04 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 01:58 PM)Betty Wrote: Tiger

6.65cm

6.7cm

7.11cm

I would be personally even more interested about figures what comes to visible part of claw. That is after all what is making wounds etc., not the hidden part. There seemed to be difference when looking at these claws. 

I copied your photo and added blue line to show what distance I would be interested to see too. I hope you don´t mind using your photo.

Here is how the entire blades of the lion claws look like when being completely pulled out from the bone sheath.

I would say that the largest tiger claws will have roughly 5 cm or 2 inches long blade from the exposed part.

1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

When looking at this photo and that measurement, what I asked for before, it is here about 3 cm. It would be nice to see that 5 cm claw if possible.

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like Shadow's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(01-27-2019, 04:42 AM)Shadow Wrote: When looking at this photo and that measurement, what I asked for before, it is here about 3 cm. It would be nice to see that 5 cm claw if possible.

The 7.11 cm has a 4 cm blade, some claws have relatively larger exposed blade, while some others have smaller ones.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-27-2019, 05:56 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 04:42 AM)Shadow Wrote: When looking at this photo and that measurement, what I asked for before, it is here about 3 cm. It would be nice to see that 5 cm claw if possible.

The 7.11 cm has a 4 cm blade, some claws have relatively larger exposed blade, while some others have smaller ones.

That is interesting to know, when thinking about live animals and what they are capable to do and what kind of "tools" they have.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2019, 09:38 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(01-27-2019, 06:07 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 05:56 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

That is interesting to know, when thinking about live animals and what they are capable to do and what kind of "tools" they have.

Most likely to use it to slash through the thick hide of the large animals.

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-07-2019, 05:38 AM by epaiva )

African Lions

4 users Like epaiva's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-07-2019, 05:37 AM)epaiva Wrote: African Lions

Nice to see this kind of photos too. It is easy to understand for instance why lions have so much trouble for instance with hippos, even though it is relatively slow animal.
1 user Likes Shadow's post