There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(10-14-2018, 05:01 PM)paul cooper Wrote: Where do you even get all this?

Private collection

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

Cave lion

*This image is copyright of its original author

1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(10-22-2018, 03:14 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: Cave lion

Great tooth very nice
1 user Likes epaiva's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM by johnny rex )

There is a large Siberian tiger skull in a German taxidermy page on Facebook. I'm asking him through PM on Facebook about the measurements of the skull, but unfortunately he declined saying it is for sale only.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

African lion

2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2018, 07:00 PM by johnny rex )

http://skullbase.info/skulls/mammals/lion.php

Pictures above showing a skull of an average wild adult male lion from Tanzania. 

Pictures below showing a skull of a captive adult male tiger which is also an average-sized skull, but not sure which specimen of tiger.

http://skullbase.info/skulls/mammals/tiger.php

What amazes me is the width of the tiger skull in relation to its length. The lion skull is longer than the tiger skull, but the tiger skull is much wider than the lion skull. Imagine if there are 16-inches tiger skulls out there with similar skull configuration like this tiger skull, its width must be great.
3 users Like johnny rex's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2018, 08:56 PM by peter )

(10-23-2018, 04:54 PM)johnny rex Wrote: There is a large Siberian tiger skull in a German taxidermy page on Facebook. I'm asking him through PM on Facebook about the measurements of the skull, but unfortunately he declined saying it is for sale only.

AMUR TIGER SKULL

Big cat skulls can't be sold or bought over here. Germany could be different. Anyhow.

A real big cat skull isn't cheap, especially when it's undamaged and large. Tell him potential buyers would be interested in measurements and a bit of history before getting to a decision. They also want to see better pictures, if possible with a scale.

HUNGARIAN NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM

I saw the photographs some weeks ago. The remarkable difference in zygomatic width between the skull of the male lion and the male tiger most probably is a result of upbringing: the lion skull belonged to a wild male, whereas the tiger was born and bred in captivity. It's well known that skulls of big cats born and bred in captivity often are significantly wider than those of their wild relatives. 

Compared to skulls of wild lions and tigers, skulls of their captive relatives, apart from a few exceptions, also are less elevated and not as muscular and dense. For this reason, one would expect the skull of the wild male lion to be heavier than the skull of the captive male tiger. It was. The difference in length (369 mm. vs. 344 mm.) no doubt has an effect, but my guess is the difference in weight is a result of status foremost. When comparing skulls, one always has to distinguish between skulls of wild and captive big cats. 

I have seen average-sized skulls of wild male Javan tigers significantly heavier than larger skulls of captive male Indian tigers. In lions, the difference between skulls of captive and wild males usually is less pronounced. For some reason, skulls of captive male lions often have a lot of superfluous growths. It's also seen in skulls of captive tigers (see the photograph), but not as pronounced. Not seldom, skulls of captive big cats are asymmetrical as well.

LION AND TIGER SKULLS

In general, skulls of tigers are a bit shorter and more rounded than skulls of lions. Mandibles of lions often are longer and somewhat convex (but not always in skulls of captive lions). They also have a wider os frontalis, a longer and more elevated snout and a larger pm4. Tigers often have (relatively) wider rostrums and longer and (relatively) heavier upper canines.

AMUR TIGER SKULLS

Skulls of captive male Amur tigers often are a bit longer and more elevated than skulls of captive male Indian tigers, but skulls of captive male Indian tigers often are wider, more robust and a bit heavier.

Captive male Amur tigers have the longest upper canines of all big cats. Same for wild male Amur tigers, so it seems. The owner of this skull was poached:

4 users Like peter's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2018, 09:08 PM by johnny rex )

(11-22-2018, 07:50 PM)peter Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 04:54 PM)johnny rex Wrote: There is a large Siberian tiger skull in a German taxidermy page on Facebook. I'm asking him through PM on Facebook about the measurements of the skull, but unfortunately he declined saying it is for sale only.

AMUR TIGER SKULL

Big cat skulls can't be sold or bought over here. Germany could be different. Anyhow.

A real big cat skull isn't cheap, especially when it's undamaged and large. Tell him potential buyers would be interested in measurements and a bit of history before getting to a decision. They also want to see better pictures, if possible with a scale.

HUNGARIAN NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM

I saw the photographs some weeks ago. The remarkable difference in zygomatic width between the skull of the male lion and the male tiger most probably is a result of upbringing: the lion skull belonged to a wild male, whereas the tiger was born and bred in captivity. It's well known that skulls of big cats born and bred in captivity often are significantly wider than those of their wild relatives. 

Compared to skulls of wild lions and tigers, skulls of their captive relatives, apart from a few exceptions, also are less elevated and not as muscular and dense. For this reason, one would expect the skull of the wild male lion to be heavier than the skull of the captive male tiger. It was. The difference in length (369 mm. vs. 344 mm.) no doubt has an effect, but my guess is the difference in weight is a result of status foremost. When comparing skulls, one always has to distinguish between skulls of wild and captive big cats. 

I have seen average-sized skulls of wild male Javan tigers significantly heavier than larger skulls of captive male Indian tigers. In lions, the difference between skulls of captive and wild males usually is less pronounced. For some reason, skulls of captive male lions often have a lot of superfluous growths. It's also seen in skulls of captive tigers (see the photograph), but not as pronounced. Not seldom, skulls of captive big cats are asymmetrical as well.

In general, skulls of tigers are a bit shorter and more rounded than skulls of lions. Mandibles of lions often are longer and somewhat convex (but not always in skulls of captive lions). They also have a wider os frontalis, a longer and more elevated snout and a larger pm4. Tigers often have (relatively) wider rostrums and longer and (relatively) heavier upper canines.

Skulls of captive Amur tigers often are longer and more elevated than skulls of captive Indian tigers, but Indian tigers often have wider and more robust skulls. Adult male Amur tigers have the longest upper canines of all big cats. Same for wild male Amur tigers. The owner of this skull was poached:

I've already PM'd him for more details but there is still no further responses from him. If you can converse in German, I think you'll be able to get more details about the old male Siberian tiger skull that he possessed.

I made my own conclusion about the largest modern Panthera skulls after seeing the nearly 17 inches long Lionzilla skull with 11.5 inches width and 15.75 inches long captive tiger skull with the same width as Lionzilla skull, I assumed the largest modern lion/tiger skulls both measured around 17 inches in maximum length and around 12 inches in maximum width. Even the liger skull that was posted somewhere in this forum before is a little bit wider than the current largest Panthera atrox skull, albeit shorter than the largest Panthera atrox skull. Not sure if the liger skull is of the same height as the largest Panthera atrox skull though.
1 user Likes johnny rex's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2018, 11:38 PM by tigerluver )

These exceptional skulls may well be a case of feline acromegaly and I’m quite interested in the disease. Are there any photos of the post cranial remains or the living specimen of skulls such as Lionzilla?

Altai and the Duisburg specimen clearly have large heads for their bodies. To diagnose acromegaly we’d need a few more things such as paw growth and oragnomegaly.
1 user Likes tigerluver's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(11-22-2018, 09:55 PM)tigerluver Wrote: These exceptional skulls may well be a case of feline acromegaly and I’m quite interested in the disease. Are there any photos of the post cranial remains or the living specimen of skulls such as Lionzilla?

Altai and the Duisburg specimen clearly have large heads for their bodies. To diagnose acromegaly we’d need a few more things such as paw growth and organimegaly.

I have posted pictures of Lionzilla with size measurements of it in the Edge Of Extinction Lion section

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-23-2018, 12:30 AM by johnny rex )

(11-22-2018, 09:55 PM)tigerluver Wrote: These exceptional skulls may well be a case of feline acromegaly and I’m quite interested in the disease. Are there any photos of the post cranial remains or the living specimen of skulls such as Lionzilla?

Altai and the Duisburg specimen clearly have large heads for their bodies. To diagnose acromegaly we’d need a few more things such as paw growth and oragnomegaly.

About Altai's skull, I still have doubt about the size estimation of its skull using pictures because the scale is below the skull. It will be accurate if the scale is on top of the skull though.The only way to determine the real size of the skull is to measure it ourselves or contacting the current owner of the skull.

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(01-17-2018, 11:28 PM)TheLioness Wrote: Lion canines measured on immobilized  wild lions.

@TheLioness
Thanks a lot for your valuable information, where did they measure those Lions?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-27-2018, 02:49 AM)epaiva Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:28 PM)TheLioness Wrote: Lion canines measured on immobilized  wild lions.

@TheLioness
Here you go https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-desert-lions?page=5 , post # 63
2 users Like Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(11-27-2018, 02:55 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 02:49 AM)epaiva Wrote:

@TheLioness
Here you go https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-desert-lions?page=5 , post # 63
@"packts"
Thanks a lot my Friend

Canine Expert
Moderators

Tiger claw

2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post