There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

Malaysia johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(09-14-2018, 10:29 PM)epaiva Wrote: It measured 385 mm

*This image is copyright of its original author

Weird. The measurement keeps changing. I think you should measure the skull like the picture below.

1 user Likes johnny rex's post

Wildanimal Enthusiast

The camera angle could be the problem when measuring skull too.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 10:51 PM by GuateGojira )

(09-14-2018, 10:44 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

Weird. The measurement keeps changing. I think you should measure the skull like the picture below.

No my friend, @epaiva measured it correctly. The measurement of this Machairodus is incorrect, the person is running the tape along the bone, and that provide incorrect sizes.

I think that excluding the incisors, the skull of the Amur tiger is 383 mm, just like Boneclones says.

@epaiva, please don't forget the condylobasal length. Sorry to botter you Wink
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Wildanimal Enthusiast

(09-14-2018, 10:50 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 10:44 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

No my friend, @epaiva measured it correctly. The measurement of this Machairodus is incorrect, the person is running the tape along the bone, and that provide incorrect sizes.

I think that excluding the incisors, the skull of the Amur tiger is 383 mm, just like Boneclones says.

@epaiva, please don't forget the condylobasal length. Sorry to botter you Wink

Oh sorry about that, I didn't realize the measuring tape actually bends around the skull. But the skull of Machairodus still looked great and pretty big.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 10:59 PM by GuateGojira )

Oh yes, it is big! I don't know how bend is the tape, but I estimate a GSL of 390-400 mm.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 11:11 PM by johnny rex )

Yes, the Machairodus skull could be around 390-400 mm in length. After getting precise measurements of the Siberian tiger skull and some re-measurement on estimation on Lionzilla skull, I think 400-420 mm long and 290-293 mm wide is possible for the particular lion skull. A record lion skull along with Richardson lion and Vaughan Kirby's 419 mm lion skull indeed. But then there is also the Altai's skull from Koln. I guess we have to wait on the latest update on the particular tiger skull. If I'm not mistaken @peter will go to Koln to measure the skull himself.

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2018, 01:08 AM by GuateGojira )

Thanks @epaiva, for your work and huuuuuge panciente with us! Grin 

May you measure the mandible from the from of the incisors to the tip of one of the sides of the mandible? This is the normal form to measure a mandible. Here is an image:

Is the number 13. And don't forget the number 2, please. Sorry to bother you, but you are the only one that can provide those measurements. Wink

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2018, 04:26 AM by epaiva )

340 mm

1 user Likes epaiva's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2018, 05:00 AM by GuateGojira )

Sorry @epaiva, I am a little confuse, so the Mandible length is 340 mm and the Condylobasal length is 325 mm? I see that the mandible is of 240-250 mm in your previous picture, am I right? in the similar sized skull of 383 mm from Mazák, the mandible was of 260 mm and the CBL of 342 mm.

In the previous image I see that you are measuring the skull from above, but to get the Condylobasal must be from the under part, without the mandible. Please check the image:

Sorry to botter you so much, I own you a pizza! Grin
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2018, 05:50 AM by epaiva )

300 mm

2 users Like epaiva's post

Expert & Researcher

I made a little escalation with a picture available in the web of the skull in perfect side view in order to found the Condylobasal length:

I got a CBL of 331 mm. Of course this is just an estimation based on the image, but this match very well with the correct side view of the skull.

Now, based in the picture that you posted of the mandible, I still think that between 240-250 mm is the correct length. I may be wrong, but this is what I got with the methods avialable.

Expert & Researcher

I made another attempt with the full skull but I needed to reconstruct the first part of the dentary, using the previous skull.

At the end, the result was about the same, the condylobasal was of 330 mm, only one millimiter less. So I think that is a good estimation of the CBL.

Is not posible to made this with the mandible because is curved, so the result willl be incorrect.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Abhinav Dhar
Konyak warriors

Nagarland, India
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger

Length: 12.5cm