There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Big cat and Bear tale

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM by Shadow )

(11-14-2018, 02:52 PM)Olga.bohai Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 09:58 PM)Shadow Wrote: It would be nice to know more, that where biggest forest fires have been? And have in those areas been also tigers and black bears, and if so, why brown bears suffer most about such catastrophes? Or have these fires happened mainly in areas, where mostly only brown bears, what comes to predators?

Everybody suffers about forest fires. On the South there were more forest fires because less snow. Nowadays there is the same impact both on the North and on the South because of National parks protection activities.
Than Hymalayan bears were under protection of the Red Book till 2000-s. Plus Hymalayan bear is more tropical animal and they live mostly on the South of the Far East where tigers (also tropical) used to live, and brown bear prefers North.

It is of course clear, that all animals suffer when fires. But that still leaves some questions if some suffer more than others. One reason could be dens as that research indicates a little bit. Maybe this is one issue again, which isn´t studied so much and difficult to find clear answers today. It was just interesting, that in that report it was mentioned how fires had made brown bears to move to other areas, but there was not mentioned  Himalayan bears. That´s why I thought, that have fires been in areas with more brown bears or some other reasons maybe. Of course people who made that research might have some answers.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I know that tigers and bears will never become the best of friends like Tigger and Pooh, but they have proven their ability to co-exist. I believe that the blood-letting between full-grown tigers and bears has been greatly exaggerated. I think it absolutely fascinating that tigers, brown bears, black bears, leopards, wild boars and wolves all share the environment of the Pleistocene-like Russian taiga. I also believe that should India ever be successful in the endeavor of some to relocated Asiatic lions, those two big cats would also learn to co-exist and we might have another Pleistocene-like wilderness.
4 users Like brotherbear's post

Russian Federation Olga.bohai Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2018, 01:09 PM by Rishi )

Hello to all wildlife lovers!

I have new interesting info for you. Yesterday I had a dinner with the scientists from Leopard Land National Park and asked them a question about tigers and bears. And I was very surprised that they agree with my assumption that tigers expelled brown bears. There is no official confirmation because for nowadays we have not much records about animals population in our territory, people came here only 100 years ago, the reserves were launched in the middle of XX century, they started to use camera traps in 2010s and nobody can tell us how many tigers and bears were here before. The main reason why there are more black bears than brown bears that black bears can climb trees and save theirselves from tigers who can’t climb the trees because of their weight. Brown bears can’t climb the trees on the same reason. Tigers kill a lot of brown bears cubs, that’s why their population is much less than in Kamchatka and other Russian regions. That’s what our scientists say. Hope this information will be interesting for you.
P.S. I am now with tourists in Amur Leopards watching tour, they are waiting in the hide in taiga for the leopard comes out for his bait. We’ve already got records on camera traps that he came thrice for one night, I will send it later on the forum when I come back home with good internet access.
11 users Like Olga.bohai's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2018, 03:15 PM by brotherbear )

This makes perfect sense to me. A mother brown bear would not wish to be on constant guard against such a powerful foe. Even when the cubs are ready to be on their own, they remain vulnerable to tiger attack for yet another three to four years. Relocation is the better option. 
2 users Like brotherbear's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Thanks Olga. This is important point to note.
4 users Like sanjay's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(11-22-2018, 12:42 PM)Olga.bohai Wrote: Hello to all wildlife lovers!

I have new interesting info for you. Yesterday I had a dinner with the scientists from Leopard Land National Park and asked them a question about tigers and bears. And I was very surprised that they agree with my assumption that tigers expelled brown bears. There is no official confirmation because for nowadays we have not much records about animals population in our territory, people came here only 100 years ago, the reserves were launched in the middle of XX century, they started to use camera traps in 2010s and nobody can tell us how many tigers and bears were here before. The main reason why there are more black bears than brown bears that black bears can climb trees and save theirselves from tigers who can’t climb the trees because of their weight. Brown bears can’t climb the trees on the same reason. Tigers kill a lot of brown bears cubs, that’s why their population is much less than in Kamchatka and other Russian regions. That’s what our scientists say. Hope this information will be interesting for you.
P.S. I am now with tourists in Amur Leopards watching tour, they are waiting in the hide in taiga for the leopard comes out for his bait. We’ve already got records on camera traps that he came thrice for one night, I will send it later on the forum when I come back home with good internet access.
@Olga.bohai  thanks a lot for your valuable information
2 users Like epaiva's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

From Russia with Love. 
*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like brotherbear's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM by Shadow )

(12-12-2018, 04:59 PM)brotherbear Wrote: From Russia with Love. 
That is a big one, no doubt about it. I just wish, that someone would always be standing right next to the animal in these photos, or in front of an animal and practically leaning on animal, so that back is against it. It would give so much better possibility to estimate better. But big is big, it can´t be hidden like this photo show.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM by Shadow )

(11-22-2018, 12:42 PM)Olga.bohai Wrote: Hello to all wildlife lovers!

I noticed that posting only now and that was really interesting information. Also explanation makes sense. That is one thing what has crossed in my thoughts, that could tigers have that kind of impact to bear behavior. Even though male bears can roam there safely, mother bears are in different situation especially with cubs. That for sure would explain at least partially, that less brown bears than before. Females and cubs going further from areas with high tiger density and leaving then adult males to roam in larger areas searching food, but naturally in mating times have to go where females are.

It would be interesting to hear a little bit more some day and are my thoughts even close to that, what these scientists are thinking :) I think, that it is a little bit different situation when comparing to wolves. Wolves are forced to go away as packs leaving behind next to nothing of them. Brown bears then again are in different situation when females and cubs are vulnerable to tiger attacks and then again males in that size, that not anymore able to climb... well, they are then already pretty much that big, that no need to climb, they don´t have anymore any reason to feel threatened. So it sounds like partial expelling.

Anyway what you told is very interesting and theory which has logic and sense.
3 users Like Shadow's post

China Smilodon-Rex Offline

Over 1200 pounds body-weight?

Jimmy Offline

Tiger/sloth bear interaction in Ranthambore

Famous matkasur tiger, sloth bear interaction of Tadoba andhari reserve, different angle footage

6 users Like Jimmy's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

(12-13-2018, 07:03 PM)Smilodon-Rex Wrote:
Over 1200 pounds body-weight?

The only source i have seen is Imgur, thats it.

imgur.com/gallery/S22Uz

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here is one video, where tiger and sloth bear have a confrontation. The one filming this doesn´t have too steady hand.... but still from this can be seen how situation developes. Maybe someone could give some hint if there is said something interesting on background by these people talking there. Video starts with loud music, but when situation starts, music goes off at 0:09.

3 users Like Shadow's post

Suhail Offline

Tiger gets chased by mother bear in ranthambore

6 users Like Suhail's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-22-2018, 05:52 PM)Suhail Wrote: Tiger gets chased by mother bear in ranthambore

Sloth bears have funny coughing sounds there in the end :) Obviously they had a lot to say to each others Grin