There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Another one of the Kambula youngsters:

Photo Credit : michael_rads

*This image is copyright of its original author

This one is definitely son of Tinyo..

Kambula young males are at the age when we might start to ID them, i found 3 recent photos of 3 different young males:

Whisker spots are visiable, for ID usage in future.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-30-2021, 12:22 AM by Slayerd )

(01-29-2021, 08:38 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Another one of the Kambula youngsters:

Photo Credit : michael_rads

This one is definitely son of Tinyo..

Kambula young males are at the age when we might start to ID them, i found 3 recent photos of 3 different young males:

Whisker spots are visiable, for ID usage in future.

They are all very difficult to identify because sometimes they are scruffy and sometimes clean. These are 3 of the oldest 5. I believe the first one is son of Nhenha and is one of the bigger males. He looks alike to the first of your pics but they might be 2 different males. The middle one of your pic confuses me a little. I don't know which is he

Attached Files Image(s)

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-30-2021, 01:13 AM by Tr1x24 )

(01-30-2021, 12:06 AM)Slayerd Wrote: They are all very difficult to identify because sometimes they are scruffy and sometimes clean. These are 3 of the oldest 5. I believe the first one is son of Nhenha and is one of the bigger males. He looks alike to the first of your pics but they might be 2 different males. The middle one of your pic confuses me a little. I don't know which is he

This 2 are the same lions:

I found another one:

So far we have ID's of 4 of them :

And the 5th male is the male you posted :

So the puzzle is solved, we got all 5 males.
Theres 1 more male from 2019 litter.

These guys have a lot of scars for their age, it shows how hard is life in big pride, you need to fight for every bit of food if you want to eat.. They will be tough warriors..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-30-2021, 01:45 AM by Slayerd )

(01-30-2021, 01:05 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 12:06 AM)Slayerd Wrote: They are all very difficult to identify because sometimes they are scruffy and sometimes clean. These are 3 of the oldest 5. I believe the first one is son of Nhenha and is one of the bigger males. He looks alike to the first of your pics but they might be 2 different males. The middle one of your pic confuses me a little. I don't know which is he

This 2 are the same lions:

I found another one:

So far we have ID's of 4 of them :

And the 5th male is the male you posted :

So the puzzle is solved, we got all 5 males.
Theres 1 more male from 2019 litter.

These guys have a lot of scars for their age, it shows how hard is life in big pride, you need to fight for every bit of food if you want to eat.. They will be tough warriors..

Yes those might be the 5. We haven't seen the youngest in a while. It seems like 2 are sired by Nhenha, 1 by Nsuku and 1 by Tinyo. The 5th seems to be from the same litter as one of the other 4. The youngest looks like he was sired by Nhenha or Nsuku. We will see when he grows a little more and we get pics. It doesn't look like Mfumo sired any but we can never know for sure.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

NK and Styx at Singita :

Photo Credit : fortheloveofcatsjen

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

NK and Styx at Londolozi :

Photo Credit : kathleenlarataylor

3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-05-2021, 06:46 PM by Tonpa )

Torchwood male 18-01-2021 MalaMala
Photo by @inmyw_ildestdreams

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(02-05-2021, 04:59 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Torchwood male 18-01-2021 MalaMala

Wow! He's looking handsome and regal as ever
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Psyckoo Offline

Still good to see them around Sabi sands, but apart trying to take over of Mangheni pride i don't see which coaliton they can try ?
1 user Likes Psyckoo's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-06-2021, 04:50 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Still good to see them around Sabi sands, but apart trying to take over of Mangheni pride i don't see which coaliton they can try ?

Well, except N'ws and N. Avocas (if they are 3 together) , they can potentially challenge all other coalitions, Tumbelas are young and not healthy, Bboys are getting old and in future they might not have the health to defend their territory anymore (Tinyo limp prob wont get better anymore at this age) and as you say OM is alone.. Kruger males are also only 2.. Also new Kambula breakeaway in a year or so will seek for dominant males.. So they definitely have the options in Sabi Sands..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

(02-06-2021, 04:50 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Still good to see them around Sabi sands, but apart trying to take over of Mangheni pride i don't see which coaliton they can try ?

It's a waiting game for them now, they need to mature more and evne more importantly muster confidence to challenge other males. Last month they didn't chase Hairy Belly from a giraffe carcass, which was even their kill. They know how whole Sabi Sands or rather how it was, it might be different when they get ready. Fro now they are probably ok with having a territory to hunto on without being at risk ofbeing hunted don by a big mature coalition. They could possibly get more chances outside of Sabi Sands right now but besides of having similar luck like Tintswalos had in Manyeleti, it doesn't get better then 2 v 1 scenario.

We should keep in mind, than an incident can happen that changes the coalition numbers, not even a man caused one, hunt injury, snakebite, other injuries or infections, loss of condition due to age, other coalitions killing each other,... some might be instant, some might take time (like tubercolosis). Then 2 male colitions might become solo males and might be even easier opponents than Ottawa. There are Timbavatis who might end up being without a dominant male, which might take a while for these two to find out, but they are 14 and at this point they would not be able to kill the subadults, and probably not be able assert themsleves as dominant males filling the void - and Avocas might come back if they find out. There are also single lioness prides like Ximungwe or Tsalala, which don't have resident males and if met outside of established coalitions territory might lead to some thing (they would to kill the young cub though).

Then there is a chance they won't be two forever, one can parish as any lion can, or they can meet other nomadic individuals which can lead to anything from conflict to joining up forces. They certainly could be expected to meet Ottawa youngsters if they haven't already, there was a lone unidentified young nomacdic male at Gowrie gate not that long ago and as we have coalitions in Sabi Sands coming from as far as beign born in Timbavati, Birmingham Young Male, white lion splinter group, Torchwood young male and whoever we know or don't knwoof from Kruger can wonder into Sabi Sands and potentially meet them (or vice versa, but Styx/Nkuhuma moving to Kruger, we wont know much about their endeavours) or mth aking an impact on Sabi Sand coalition dynamics - Mantimahle (5th+sons) moving into Mala Mala, 4 Tintswalos might decide to move eventually.

Manyeleti is currently quite open area wise, with Orpen males and Koppie pride gone, there is a room for someone to move in, whoever there are no unruled prides and as long s Tintswalos stay put they are numerically dangerous neighbourous to have. Numbers wise, Nharus have 1 Red Road Male and east from him in Kruger there are other prides ruled by solo males like Imbali. That being said Red Road Male is a beast, Ottawa male no matter how well looking should be easier option to challenge anyway, afaik the biggest altercation he had was chasing forsaken Mhangeni subadults from his natal Ottawa pride.

We probably have a new breakaway pride and colalition readjustments before they push somebody. I kind of hope Tumbelas would last a bit from the genetic POV, the western sector is susceptible to genetic bottleneck, most lions there are some kind of Mapogo/Majingilane blood mixes, the further the reigning coalition there is from, the better imho.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

NK male at Singita :

Photo Credit : nick_dup

Gijima Offline

Kambula Male
credit: Andy
5 users Like Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Torchwood boy is down in Umkumbe
Photo by djodjinski

2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2021, 12:20 AM by Tonpa )

NK and Styx in Londolozi

2 users Like Tonpa's post