There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

that’s probably her winter weight, very impressive. that’s a huge pair for sure. No Wagdoh/Madhuri, No Munna/Link7, No Jai/fairy and No Madla/julie compare to the likes of these two. they are on a different league altogether.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2018, 11:57 PM by Pckts )

I don't disagree with anything you have said @Roflcopters 
but all of the reserves you have named are smaller than Kanha other than Satpura which is only slightly larger I believe, correct me if I'm wrong though.

I know for a fact that Bandhavgarh has a few males that are every bit as big as any males in Kanha that we know of, but I also know that Kanha is much larger with more hilly terrain and elevation with more prey base so I'd guess that Kanha has the capacity to support more large tigers.

In regards to weights, if we are to believe the stated weights of 225kg for a few youngsters and the 197kg for the other, those a really large weights for Tigers in any location.
In regards to prey density, I can only speak on my observations and what I was told.

Kanha for sure has the largest Gaur I saw and the highest quantity of them, in fact, even their Sambar seemed larger as well. They also have tons of Barasingha and all the other large mammals C. India has to offer. 
Tadoba was 2nd in this department and Pench was last, but what Pench and Kanha have that Tadoba doesn't is much more hilly terrain and most important, they are cooler and Kanha by far wins in that department.
Its much cooler, greener year round, more hills and for me, it held the largest specimens of Tigers and other mammals I saw.

I cannot stress enough how important those factors are when comparing animals, it's like the Crater. Even though the Crater is only a short drive from the Serengeti, the Serengeti Elephant don't hold a candle to the Elephant I saw in the Crater, it's same with the Buffalo and said to be same with the Lions which makes total sense.

I look at the characteristics in the Crater and when I compare them to Kanha, I see similar traits that contribute to larger species. Obviously Kanha doesn't have volcanic rich soil like the Crater but they both have Green year round, cooler temps and more prey year round (from what I saw) 
This also leads me to believe that Kaziranga with its many large mammals and Dudhwa with it's Rhino population would probably have the largest of all, Dudhwa however is ravaged by poaching I believe and that of course plays a huge role in size.
But the cooler temps could be the most important factor when all other factors are equal which may be why N. Indian Tigers are said to be some of the Largest.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-31-2018, 11:13 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: that’s probably her winter weight, very impressive. that’s a huge pair for sure. No Wagdoh/Madhuri, No Munna/Link7, No Jai/fairy and No Madla/julie compare to the likes of these two. they are on a different league altogether.

I 1000% agree, I've sent that image to few here and even @tigerluver calculated a comparison between them which I'll post now that I know he's making this public knowledge

"Here's what I could make out from the photo:

*This image is copyright of its original author

The red font loses clarity for some reason but the shoulder height difference is 1.12x and chest diameter difference is 1.23x based on the 2D plane of the photo. The male is further back so these values are probably at least 5%-10% greater, so conservatively we could say the shoulder height difference in reality is 1.176x and chest diameter difference is 1.292x. To find the estimated mass, we take the difference factor and cube it. We then multiply this number by the female's weight. One can use this formula:

Male weight = female weight x 1.176^3
Male weight = female weight x 1.292^3

By these numbers the males may be twice the weight of the female, give or take, depending on what the real body length difference would be as well."

I still don't want to say where he said this pair is from but they still are the most impressive pair I've seen from an image, thats for sure.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Germany Jeffrey Offline

This male from dudhwa is a giant i also wrote with wasif and he told me that 4 adult rhinos were killed in dudhwa from tigers they had 31 rhinos now only 27 remain. He told me fascinating things
3 users Like Jeffrey's post

Canada Wolverine Away

Maybe should be mentioned one other moment. The fact that tigers from Central India are the most famous doesn't mean that they are the biggest and doesn't mean that they are not the biggest ones either... Central India is situated in the area of relatively dry open deciduous forests where is easier to observe big cats, the best place for tiger safaris, but lets don't forget that in India as a whole there are 50 or more tiger reserves and we don't know so well local tigers. Pench, Kanha, Tadoba, Bandavgarh with their famous tigers are only small part of Project Tiger. I mean the glory is not necessary connected with size.

Same in Africa. Everybody knows lions from Serengeti and Kruger, but few people for example know about Selous game reserve in Tanzania - the largest protected area in Africa with a size of average European country, home of 4000 lions.
5 users Like Wolverine's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-31-2018, 10:10 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 10:04 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: He’s the main WII guy from up North, he also is very well respected in the field for the amount of work he has put in, curious to see how these tigers match up to the other side of the Terai or even Assam.

Oh ya, I know his resume and have spoken with him quite a bit, there just seems to be a little inconsistency is all. Obviously he has more first hand experience than most and has no reason to lie, he told me that he has multiple tigers over the 350kg mark that he said he's weighed.

What Pckts???? Several over 350 kg! Is there any pictures of these monsters? That sounds absolutely insane, but after all these years looking at pictures of massive specimens from there ain't wouldn't actually be too surprised!
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-26-2018, 09:04 AM)Wolverine Wrote: @Pantherinae , you are not Swedish, but Norway and Sweden are very close and similar countries, do you know where could be seen or find documentary serial "The world of the Jungle book" of the famous Swedish naturalist Jan Linblad.
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Lindblad

That documentary was shot in the 80's in India and Sri Lanka, real masterpiece - describes tigers, lions and rhinos in 7-8 different serials, my favorite film when I was teenager. It was very famous in some European countries, but I cant find it nowhere. Maybe you can give some link to Swedish or Norwegian website where the film could be seen?

Sorry for late reply, Trust me I have been looking for it myself.. I have no idea where to find it sorry..
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-02-2018, 11:11 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 10:04 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: He’s the main WII guy from up North, he also is very well respected in the field for the amount of work he has put in, curious to see how these tigers match up to the other side of the Terai or even Assam.

Oh ya, I know his resume and have spoken with him quite a bit, there just seems to be a little inconsistency is all. Obviously he has more first hand experience than most and has no reason to lie, he told me that he has multiple tigers over the 350kg mark that he said he's weighed.

What Pckts???? Several over 350 kg! Is there any pictures of these monsters? That sounds absolutely insane, but after all these years looking at pictures of massive specimens from there ain't wouldn't actually be too surprised!

Post #2421 is one of them apparently.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-03-2018, 02:46 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 11:11 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:

Post #2421 is one of them apparently.

Yeah I saw that after I asked, That is clearly a monster absolutely massive! Would love some videos of him in the future!
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2018, 11:10 AM by Rage2277 )

jamun tola male t24 kanha march 2018..he's out and about these days huh..there were no photos of him until recently not a big guy but quite the stunner
3 users Like Rage2277's post

animal enthusiast

jamun tola male having a drink
3 users Like Rage2277's post

animal enthusiast

naina/link-8/t76 kanha march 2018..a daughter of mundidadar and red eye

big girl
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Kankajhari male’s kid greeting him upon arrival, June/2018.

Kankajhari with Junabai female

Kankajhari and Junabai

Matkasur male, May/2018

Aurangzeb aka T57, March/2018.

Large male from Kishanpur, it’s basically the extension of Dudhwa, this male covers a large area and is also seldom seen at Sathiana range on the other side of Dudhwa. May/2018

Side profile of this huge male. 

Same guy

Dewada male from Kolsa, May/2018

Rocket, sub adult male cub from Sonam and Bajrang’s first litter looking after his siblings from the 2nd litter.  May/2018

Rocket

Sharmili from Agarzari buffer with her cub, May/2018.
10 users Like Roflcopters's post

animal enthusiast

kankajhari is healing up nicely..getting that tlc from his lady
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

animal enthusiast

photographer said this:"TWO BROTHERS"
"TWO BROTHERS" Karan/Arjun - One of the 2 males (litters) of Choti Tara @Tadoba 31May,2018 Tiger cubs usually separate from there mothers when they are of 2 years old and search for there own territory & then find a mate ,but in this peculiar case these subadult males are over 2 years but still live together hunt together & even venture in to its mothers hunt for food for which she has no resistance.Not sure how long this would continue & when time comes both would or wouldn't challenge eachother?.....For now they resemble the tigers as in the movie "TWO BROTHERS"
2 users Like Rage2277's post