There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

(06-24-2017, 12:07 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: Too bad Raja was still going strong until tragedy hit him, he didnt get to live to his fullest. In 2009, he was just around 5 years old and by 2017. he was still a force and the only close rival of Gowri Shankar. I heard a week prior to his death, Raja was seen following Kanana Dhari male and would have probably killed him. what a worse way to die, getting half of his face chopped off and ending up buried in a farmer's field. Bandipur National Park will never be the same anymore, they failed to protect the living legend of the South. Raja in his time generated millions worth of revenue for the park and at the end of the day. this is how it all ended for him. what a horrible way to go for an Alpha male like him. 
3 users Like Roflcopters's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Singinawa Jungle Lodge
The Mukki zone in Kanha, for the past few weeks has been a stage for full blown turf wars. Dominant male tigers are being challenged by the young blood to seek control of their domain. For now, this hulk, T30 (Umarpani male) has warded off his challenger, but the battle still rages on.
Join Singinawa and its naturalists to witness these moments of tiger natural history.
Image: Pranad Patil

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Pckts's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Umarpani is such a dense killing machine, what a powerful guy. I hope both him and CM find a way to co-exist and spread their genes all over Kanha. this is how Namdev and Katezari eventually put their differences aside. Prior to that it was that Katezari and Leopard face rivalry and after immense fights, they both learned to co-exist and spread their genes around. in the present days, the only threat to Matkasur is Kali (son of Namdev and nak katti), if Kali moves near Ainbodi and near the lake more often. i could see a lot of conflict over territorial grounds. Matkasur is such a beast though, under his reign. he has eliminated and conquered every bit of land and has managed to keep queen Maya by his side. Kali is the only male making serious moves, last month he snuck in and mated with Maya but officially she is still Matkasur's mate and from the looks of it, she will remain his mate for a while.
5 users Like Roflcopters's post

India shaileshsharadnaik Offline
Tadobatigerlover

(06-28-2017, 03:08 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: Umarpani is such a dense killing machine, what a powerful guy. I hope both him and CM find a way to co-exist and spread their genes all over Kanha. this is how Namdev and Katezari eventually put their differences aside. Prior to that it was that Katezari and Leopard face rivalry and after immense fights, they both learned to co-exist and spread their genes around. in the present days, the only threat to Matkasur is Kali (son of Namdev and nak katti), if Kali moves near Ainbodi and near the lake more often. i could see a lot of conflict over territorial grounds. Matkasur is such a beast though, under his reign. he has eliminated and conquered every bit of land and has managed to keep queen Maya by his side. Kali is the only male making serious moves, last month he snuck in and mated with Maya but officially she is still Matkasur's mate and from the looks of it, she will remain his mate for a while.

Hello,

I too hope and pray Both umarpani and Chota munna have a truce and find out ways and means to coexist like Tadoba males. However if you see the history of Kanha, am not sure that looks prudent. Don't know why there are so many deaths in fights there? One of the reason , experts give is - less number of females. Cant see that as true because there are so many tigresses around now. May be its their genes that compel them to fight. I don't know Kanha so well. But I know Tadoba for some years now. Here male tiger deaths in fights are rare or alteast they are not captured except that of an old male death in non-tourism bhanuskhindi area an year back.  Katezari male, Saturn, Gabbar, Waghdoh, Bajrang,  Yeda anna, Old hilltop male, old W male have surely fought with eachother but found out ways to back off and coexist without getting killed. 

Coming to matkasur; yes he is the only male sighted in tourism zone regularly. Bajrang is seen rarely but have a strong grip on mohurli area. And Kolsa males are so elusive. There were times when I didn't spot a male tiger in 15-20 safaris over 2 years but many tigresses and cubs.  One of my wish list after the park opens back in Oct 17; is to see few more males in tourism area
4 users Like shaileshsharadnaik's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-29-2017, 08:54 PM)shaileshsharadnaik Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 03:08 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: Umarpani is such a dense killing machine, what a powerful guy. I hope both him and CM find a way to co-exist and spread their genes all over Kanha. this is how Namdev and Katezari eventually put their differences aside. Prior to that it was that Katezari and Leopard face rivalry and after immense fights, they both learned to co-exist and spread their genes around. in the present days, the only threat to Matkasur is Kali (son of Namdev and nak katti), if Kali moves near Ainbodi and near the lake more often. i could see a lot of conflict over territorial grounds. Matkasur is such a beast though, under his reign. he has eliminated and conquered every bit of land and has managed to keep queen Maya by his side. Kali is the only male making serious moves, last month he snuck in and mated with Maya but officially she is still Matkasur's mate and from the looks of it, she will remain his mate for a while.

Hello,

I too hope and pray Both umarpani and Chota munna have a truce and find out ways and means to coexist like Tadoba males. However if you see the history of Kanha, am not sure that looks prudent. Don't know why there are so many deaths in fights there? One of the reason , experts give is - less number of females. Cant see that as true because there are so many tigresses around now. May be its their genes that compel them to fight. I don't know Kanha so well. But I know Tadoba for some years now. Here male tiger deaths in fights are rare or alteast they are not captured except that of an old male death in non-tourism bhanuskhindi area an year back.  Katezari male, Saturn, Gabbar, Waghdoh, Bajrang,  Yeda anna, Old hilltop male, old W male have surely fought with eachother but found out ways to back off and coexist without getting killed. 

Coming to matkasur; yes he is the only male sighted in tourism zone regularly. Bajrang is seen rarely but have a strong grip on mohurli area. And Kolsa males are so elusive. There were times when I didn't spot a male tiger in 15-20 safaris over 2 years but many tigresses and cubs.  One of my wish list after the park opens back in Oct 17; is to see few more males in tourism area

It was the same for us, but we did catch a glimpse of the Devada Male who was with his female and the cubs weren't far off, I got a shot of the female but the male crossed to unexpectedly, during the next day the Navegaon Male was spotted mating with Maya for a couple of safaris, this was in the Navegaon gate, we also spotted the sub adult male of the Navegaon Male, he apparently has a sister as well but she wasn't with him at that time.

4 users Like Pckts's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Pckts, who was this Navegaon male that you saw. Kali has a firm grip in that area and he pushed old Navegon male out of the area, Narasimha is more towards Navegaon Buffer and he is often sighted in Kali and Matkasur's territory. im wondering if you actually saw Kali and the new female, who were the cubs. Do you have any pics of the female or the cubs?
2 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

male tiger caught in camera trap from Laokhowa Burhachapori WLS Complex - Nepal (Jan/13/2017)

fat male tiger from Kaziranga - June/2017

Bamera Junior with the new Kankatti and the kids (May/2017)

the massive Jobhi male on the move - May/2017

Male tiger caught in the camera trap from South India

King Matkasur feasting on a gaur kill (June/2017)
4 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

rarest of the rarest, a young white bengal tiger photographed in the wild by Nilanjan Ray from the CLAW- Conservation Lenses & wildlife

this is probably a first record shot after 65 something years.

here is the original post below.

Quote:I had a very, very rare sighting of a white tiger in the mountains of Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. A tiger has 1/10000 chance of being born white, as per Wiki. I have heard of such tigers from the North, and from MP/Rewa. Googling didn't throw up any results re sightings from NBR. So perhaps this is the first documented one in recent times from these regions. A lot more rare than sighting a black panther, especially in the South.  P.S. the forest department folks asked me to keep the location secret when sharing on a public forum, so those of my friends who know, don't share.

hopefully Forest Department can confirm.
6 users Like Roflcopters's post

SuSpicious Offline

(07-03-2017, 10:54 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: rarest of the rarest, a young white bengal tiger photographed in the wild by Nilanjan Ray from the CLAW- Conservation Lenses & wildlife

Quote:I had a very, very rare sighting of a white tiger in the mountains of Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. A tiger has 1/10000 chance of being born white, as per Wiki. I have heard of such tigers from the North, and from MP/Rewa. Googling didn't throw up any results re sightings from NBR. So perhaps this is the first documented one in recent times from these regions. A lot more rare than sighting a black panther, especially in the South.  P.S. the forest department folks asked me to keep the location secret when sharing on a public forum, so those of my friends who know, don't share.

My god. such a beautiful looking specimen. I have never seen something this exquisite ever in my life. Great pic @Roflcopters
1 user Likes SuSpicious's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(07-03-2017, 10:54 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: rarest of the rarest, a young white bengal tiger photographed in the wild by Nilanjan Ray from the CLAW- Conservation Lenses & wildlife

Somebody plz update on Wikipedia  Joking
1 user Likes Rishi's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2017, 12:28 PM by sanjay )

Ok, I got it.

If this is true, than this is surely first image of its kind. Great work by Nilanjan Ray
In a comment he worte:

" I am planning to send RAW files to Sanctuary Asia. I would also like to get in touch with NTCA and share the files, can someone help with name/contact (pm better). I don't want to share photos and send emails to some generic email id or person at NTCA, I want someone who will take a serious look at the photos.

Note: I don't claim to be a tiger expert, so whether this is 'truly white', or extremely pale, or suffering from some other condition, only the experts will be able to judge.

And I didn't go out on some discovery, this was a serendipitous sighting. I informed the forest department folks next morning.

Thanks all for liking."
9 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Pradnya Paralkar
My First Ever tiger in the Wild,Tyson(Katezari Male),TATR ,Jun 2013

6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2017, 10:05 PM by Pckts )

(07-01-2017, 08:06 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: Pckts, who was this Navegaon male that you saw. Kali has a firm grip in that area and he pushed old Navegon male out of the area, Narasimha is more towards Navegaon Buffer and he is often sighted in Kali and Matkasur's territory. im wondering if you actually saw Kali and the new female, who were the cubs. Do you have any pics of the female or the cubs?

Here's the Female, the male had walked out prior to her and closer to us, he was very large, it was just unexpected so I didn't have time to snap a shot, 20 mins later she came out roaring for her cubs, then later in the day, her and her cubs made an appearance. The guides all knew they had cubs in the area and that's why we were stopped there a long with a host of other gypsies.

This is the male sub adult we spotted in the Buffer area, he and his sister are there at the moment.

His father is the male who was mating with Maya, we missed them cause we were in the buffer zone sighting this fellow.

There were photos snapped of them together by a group we made friends with but I don't know what they did with them. This was after Mutkasur was mating with her as well but he had disappeared for the days we were there and wasn't sighted.
5 users Like Pckts's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

In Nilgiris, at that! I will repost the picture Sanjay posted in the tiger extinction thread, as it's very remarkable. We don't want people to miss out. Hope you don't mind and many thanks for informing us.
3 users Like peter's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

A latest snap of Uma...

8 users Like Rishi's post